911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Mods you regret doing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Derick Cooper
I'll let you know tomorrow if it was worth it...
Any car that wants to move the steering wheel 10 degrees to the right when it hits boost is simply not right and is STILL making too much IMO. On the dyno you could see the whole car flex and move on the straps.

A build can certainly cost a lot depending on what you have or don't have and what you want. In Derick's case the car was bought with a hurt motor to begin with. So hopefully the cost is off set with that in mind.

When I EFI Monster and Twin Turboed it years ago I had almost 65K in the motor alone. That was before EFI became main stream. A lot has changed.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Any car that wants to move the steering wheel 10 degrees to the right when it hits boost is simply not right and is STILL making too much IMO. On the dyno you could see the whole car flex and move on the straps.

A build can certainly cost a lot depending on what you have or don't have and what you want. In Derick's case the car was bought with a hurt motor to begin with. So hopefully the cost is off set with that in mind.

When I EFI Monster and Twin Turboed it years ago I had almost 65K in the motor alone. That was before EFI became main stream. A lot has changed.
You're right. I'm going to do some chassis reinforcement. Crazy not to.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:04 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I was thinking more like physiological assistance
Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
I was thinking more like physiological assistance
I don't know who's more insane:

you for building the "mad cab" or me for driving it...

-dc
Old 01-31-2006, 10:40 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, sounds to me like you need to strip it to the chassis, weld every seam tight, and put a full cage in it to reinforce that big hole you have over your head. Putting in thicker floor panels and a subframe might not be a bad idea either. If its flexing as bad as the Doc says you're going to have a cracked chassis before you know it. Sounds like the equivalent a Shuttle launch. Good luck with it.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cajun
Please do!!! I am anxious and excited for you!!! How will you ever make it to the weekend with that beast in your garage!?!?!?!?!???
It's worth it. Just amazing power and very drivable. A supertuned CIS car is a real bucking bronco racehorse. Constantly coughing and spitting and jerking until you get into the boost.

With EFI, it starts, idles and runs at low RPM like a regular 911 until you hit 3800 RPM and start distorting reality. This car is just sick fast.

-dc
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

3800 RPM and start distorting reality
We call that vertigo. I am so glad you are pleased. Makes it all worth while after that much time and work.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

WIth a Modern EFI system, The HP obtainable, can be mind blowing, Making 550-600 WHP usuable as a reliable daily driver . The car looks good Derrick ,nice work , you should come and hang with us one weekend , as a group of like minded 930 ites get together from time to time in Ft. lauderdale .
Old 03-06-2006, 04:51 AM
diabolos88
Racer

Default so Derick, is it WORTH it?

I've got it "detuned" to only 485 RWHP because it's a cab... This setup could probably get to 550. Yikes.

The cost depends on where you start. I did the WHOLE job from scratch. Full and complete rebuild with new everything balanced, etc. - New P&C's (Ruf 3.4L), headwork, dual plugs, new headers, new I/C, new turbo, full autronic management, new clutch, 3.2L intake, all stephen kaspar's labor...

It's a long list and it's going to cost you the better part of $40k and a year of time if you start from scratch and have someone else do it.

I'll let you know tomorrow if it was worth it...

-dc
be honest, if you had to do it again, would you?
how do you like the performance? Could you describe the difference?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

If you are lookin for mods on the cheap I have a Garretson intercooler that I just swapped out for a Kokeln that will be going on Ebay fairly soon. Big improvement over stock IC capabilities.

Let me know.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by diabolos88
be honest, if you had to do it again, would you?
how do you like the performance? Could you describe the difference?
I bought the car and sent it to Stephen, so I don't have a great "before and after" except for the 79 I owned about 6 years ago with 385RWHP. It's really hard to compare cars from 6 years ago... I'd say 100 more RWHP is a lot though. You notice it even from 6 years apart.

In short, the car is VERY fast. However, it's like anything. I'm already pretty much used to it...

You probably acclimate to just about any level of power, so it doesn't feel as fast anymore. The only problem is if you hit the boost bong in 2nd and 3rd gear, you are going over 100 before you can blink.

I don't have any independent perspective on how fast it really is except for a quick run with a sportbike on a deserted road the other evening. I don't know what it was (600 or liter bike), but I hung with him and pulled some at higher speed (100 or so), so the car is damn fast.

The fun thing is that it looks pretty much like a stock 930 cab, so it's a total sleeper.

Is it worth it? Who knows? depends on perspective. We're probably all crazy to spend this kind of money on 15 to 25 year old cars with dated suspensions, etc. Realistically, your 930 is going to be faster than 98% of the fast cars out there with just a fully built CIS, but if you want to turn it up to 11...

Sure is fun.

By the way, Stephen. It hooks up a LOT better with the 285/40/17. The soft, stock suspension helps it hook too. It just hunkers down and launches...

-dc
Old 03-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Couple more comments:
On a positive note, the car is much more drivable than CIS in terms of starting, idling and low speed, part-throttle smoothness. However, the clutch required to handle the power is a real bear. You basically can't start out smoothly without revving to 3500 rpm and slipping it like crazy. Otherwise it just jumps and judders. I guess that's the price. Even with that crazy clutch, I could feel it (and smell it) slip a little on a quick shift to third the other day (then it holds, digs and launches you).

It will also start smoothly if you just drive very aggressively and do a sort of "mini launch" every time you take off. I've basically scared the ever living crap out of every grandma in vero beach over the last four weeks....

On a side note, I did a quick run over the intracoastal the other night with the top down just to get a breath of fresh air and let the mad cab breath a little. My house is about a mile inland from the causeway. I got home and my wife confronts me at the garage door with a (kidding and joking with me), "what the hell were you just doing?" Did you just gun it over the bridge, cause I could hear you from the living room...

-dc
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Tripster
Instructor

930LDR, I may be interested in the intercooler if the other gentleman is not. Will it fit a K27?
Just put me in line as a interested party after the thread starter.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
diabolos88
Racer

HAHAHAHA I like that! hahaha funny ****

Quick Reply: Mods you regret doing