Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

How much $ to have RUF build my Yellowbird?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:31 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect to RuF (their cars are truely amazing), IMO, if you are going to pay for a CTR conversion, you really are only paying for the brand name.

There are a lot of tuners in the U.S who can build you a very reliable twin turbo platform for a fraction of the money you'd spend having Ruf do a TT conversion on a donor car.

As someone mentioned above, Protomotive do 600BHP twin turbo conversions (on PUMP GAS) on the Carrera platform every day. Pay Todd a visit in CA and get a ride in one of his TT creations. You won't be disappointed They go into the engine and replace piston squirters with higher flowing units, Nerosist the heads & cylinders, re-wire & re-code the OEM Motronics etc etc...

Put up a Protomotive TT Carrera against a RUF CTR and I bet Todd's car would crush the CTR hands down
Old 10-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ProtoCab,
Somehow I agree with you 100%. Yes Ruf builds quick reliable cars but hey I've never met Todd but I have to say I have a lot of respect for what he does.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:25 AM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Bob,

I got a ride in the Yellowbird today (see post under 911 turbo board) and asked a close personal friend of Alois about the possibility of a new/old Yellowbird. He thought it was certainly doable and recommended you have it done in the US as the cost of doing it in Germany would be way more expensive with the weak $US. Need be, they would fly Germans over to Dallas to complete the work.

The recommendation was to start with a 78 or older doner and build from there. Supposedly, there is a 25 year rolling exemption from an emmissions perspective. Not sure about this, but you may want to investigate.

After riding in it, I highly recommend you go for it!

Kevin
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Ran across an ad in 911 & Porsche ( August ): Original Ruf CTR Yellowbird
"lightweight" version, 1 of 50 Built by the RUF factory in germany, stunning condition, POA. Tel: +47 900 83 911 (Norway).

Might be worth a call..

Good luck..
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay in making a reply -- been busy with a new business project. It's not based on Porsche, but fun all the same: carbon fiber, 650 HP, tube frame street/race car with old school looks. Here's one:

Now, as for the used Yellowbird in Norway, hmm, wonder what THAT'd cost to get here, then get federalized (not counting my time)? I really think starting with a US-based car is the way to go. If I were to do this, here's the donor car:

Same year as the Yellowbird, 1987. Methinks a good place to start.

Last edited by Bob Prosser; 10-13-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Bob,
Which mushcle car is that or based on?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sameer: The appearance of the first one, the one you see, is based on a '69 Chevy Camaro SS. They will come as street or full-race versions.

kfitzpat9: Kevin, not sure about the twenty-five year rule, but since I live in California, I know there's a lot of misconceptions about the BAR, CARB, DMV, emissions and the like. Due to some recent troubles on his part, Boyd Coddington has helped bring some clarity to this issue: www.billetwheel.com/new/dmv.htm

My question is, how the emission requirements for a SPV (specialty constructed vehicle) differ from a botique manufacturer such as RUF -- if at all? This is the tricky part ... to be a true RUF, they must offer a new VIN/MSO. So, must the car be a 2006 or, can it be back-dated to the year of the original chassis, in this case, 1987? To me, it needs to be an '87 like the original.

Last edited by Bob Prosser; 10-09-2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: bloody typo
Old 10-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Bob,
I love watching these muscle cars which they feature on 'rides'.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:10 AM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

I have a factory 69 Camaro SS-396 and I love that yellow car. I have been thinking of building a modern verson of a 69 Camaro also. Good job on that one.

Quick Reply: How much $ to have RUF build my Yellowbird?