Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with upgraded air conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone with upgraded air conditioning?

Have any 930 owners upgraded their air conditioning using products from Griffiths, Rennaire or any of the other products out there? I'd like to hear about your experiences and, hopefully, your successes.

I have to do something about it, can't stand it any more.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want Stephen to chime in about this. When I visited IA earlier this summer, I wanted to upgrade my AC system, but time did not permit me to do so.

I remember Stephen telling me that this work mainly consisted of mounting a large size condenser on the bottom side of the chasis & basically rerouting all the related plumbing. I can not remember if this is a ready made kit to be shipped out or only an inhouse job by IA.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:01 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
I live in Atlanta and the heat here is almost as bad as it is in Texas. I upgraded my last 911 before the 930 that I have now and I found out a lot about it. First of all, in the South the original system brand new would not be sufficent in the summer in traffic. Second, the capacity to cool is not there for our climate with the OEM equipment. So you can do it piece meal or you can do it all at once. The most dramatic result will be with all new parts at the same time.
Call Griff at Griffith's and talk to him. He is very knowledgeable and will talk as long as you want. He has new parts that replace your OEM parts that have been designed for the twenty first century. The front condenser is small and has the worlds most usless blower fan ever designed and the evaporator is not serpentine which means that when the Freon goes through the evaporator it does so like an H with several cross bars so that if one leg is easier to pass through, the gas will take that route. This makes for very inefficent evaporation of the fluid Freon and less cooling. Third, the rear condenser is very small and only functions when the engine is sucking in large amounts of outside air. In a stop and go situation you can kiss this one off. Griffith"s offers a third condenser that fits into the left rear wheel well that has it's own fan and cools even when stopped. And last, Griffith's offers a third vent that fits below the ashtray and diverts the cold air that is routed towards your feet and puts it up into your face.
Bottom line, replace all of the hoses, new reciever/drier, new evaporator, new rear wheel well condenser, use your compressor unless it is shot because it does no good to force more Freon through the system if you can't cool it, and get the third vent. I believe Griff will garuntee the results. If you do it piece meal, you will not be happy. I promise you that replacing only one of the items will not accomplish what you are seeking. If you go with the larger front condenser there is still no cooling for it. Don't waste your time or money on part of the fix. Each time you add a new part you have to vacuum and recharge the system and that adds up. I did my hoses and all of the other stuff and it was not MENSA level work. If you have access to a lift or just work stands, you can do it. I also added a Mr. Gasket fan to my rear engine compartment condenser to help in stop and go situations. You can either wire it in with the compressor clutch wire or manually wire it to the cockpit.
LOL
Rudy
Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 AM
im4duke
Racer

It is postings like Rudy's that make the Rennlist outstanding for hacks like me who contribute no technical value to the forum...

Thanks, Rudy.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Rudy. I just sent a long message to Griff. In my research on the message boards I have discovered Griffiths, RennAire, and others. Your advice is good, I do intend to bite the bullet and do it once to get the best results possible.

I'm hoping to hear the stories of those who have successfully done this and hear their specific results, as well as what challenges they overcame installing the equipment and barrier hoses. I have seen at least one story where a fellow seemed to have done everything but got mediocre results. I'd like to understand why. If Griffiths has a guarantee, that will certainly count for a lot.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO Griffiths is good but expensive.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Sameer
Race Car

John,
This is what I did to improve my cooling which made a world of difference.

Denso condenser( thinner and lighter than stock) Got rid of the one right in front, the Denso is good enough.
Denso R134-a compressor
All new hoses
New but original cooling coil
Bigger and stronger Universal AC blower put into the front bonet so the air travel is shortened a lot and much stronger now.

Thats it.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Forgot to add and a new drier.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Sameer,

What year is your car? My '89 has a Nippondenso compressor -- the stock item for that year. Is that what you installed in yours? Model number?

What cooling benefit did the new condenser provide? Is it the same size as the stock one on the deck lid? Do you have a pic? Model number?

Finally, very curious about AC blower you mentioned. How exactly and where was it installed? Do you have pics? How is the air travel shortened over the stock setup in the Smuggler's box? What are the specifics -- manufacturer, model number, web site?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Sameer
Race Car

It's an 80. Yes I put in the new Nippondenso R134-a compressor. Will have to check the model number. The condenser is the same size as the stock one from denso but just much thinner. Let me take a pic, hang on.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:23 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into the Griffiths stuff, and while I think it's excellent quality, I think his prices are $$$$$. My plan is this:
http://www.rennaire.com/rennaire_system_1.htm
I think this will get me close enough for the money. I plan to do the installation myself and then take it to my local P-wrench to have the system flushed, evacuated and R134A installed. I might also add a high efficiency cooling fan to the rear condensor.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:47 AM
edpurplett
Instructor

IMHO, the condenser is the big issue.... with a fresh charge(I have a SLOWWWW leak I can't find...) it is very cool compared to stock....
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Sameer
Race Car

John,
here you go.

The compressor is Denso and R134A is whats written at the back but I just could'nt make out the model number. The condenser is Sanden, sorry my mistake. I've had it for close to 4 years now with zero issues. It's much thinner and lighter than stock plus looks better. The blower is universal for many cars and the brand is "Formula". On the condenser, this is whats written on the sticker with the blue logo which you can hardly see in the photo attached:
"Sanden 12V
PDM-08101E
30W D001281"
Old 09-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Sameer
Race Car

John,

1st pic:'Formula brand' blower
2nd,3rd pic:'Denso R134a' compressor
4th,5th pic: 'Sanden' condensor
Old 09-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Sameer
Race Car

John,
I forgot to add that the evaporator comes with the blower built in so i have nothing up front under the front spoiler. The only pics I did'nt add were the hoses, drier(new stock). I've also upgraded to the 89 style ac vents, bigger. Trust me with the blower in the booth, the air comming in is much much stronger as it's more direct and theres more leg room for the passenger.

Quick Reply: Anyone with upgraded air conditioning?