Garrettson V.2 Intercooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Garrettson V.2 Intercooler Install

Hey Gang,

Check out the new intercooler. This is until I decide to make the cross over to EFI... The stock intercooler really wasn't cutting it @ 1 Bar.
Let me know what you think, I just recently managed to score this sucker off Ebay! I think it's a bit better built than the Kolken unit I have seen others use. It has proper provisions for factory hoses without resorting to brass adaptors that screw into a core...

Here's a before and after shot. I plan on modifying the factory plastic shroud for the new intercooler. Ran out of steam working on the car tonight. (I'm rewiring the car, adding 993 aero mirrors, and installing the 964 RS clubsport steering wheel... for now anyways!)

E-man930
Old 09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

What are the efficiency stats on that thing... I saw it when it was originally posted.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. I think it flows about 450-500cfm and sold by quite a few vendors.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Who makes it? Web site?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to break this to you, but that is a B&B intercooler. This is the unit I was recently talking about we sell. It is about 1450.00. It is about 550CI compares to the 248CI of the factory unit.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM
E-man930
Banned

B&B huh?
Hopefully this thing will last longer then their mufflers and headers!
HA!
The guy who sold it to me told me it was a garrettson. He must have been mistaken. I got this thing for a heck of alot less than 1450!

I have not test driven the car yet... I'll spend some time evaluating it today and report my findings back here...
Old 09-03-2005, 02:13 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

I have the same intercoooler it is a B&B unit...confirmed. It is acutally a little bit less than the Kokeln in terms of Cu.in volume on the core about 60-70cu.in less. The tanks are cast and are beautifully made as E states and it is a bar and plate core. But you have to remove the plastic shroud under the whale tail to make it fit.

Here is mine, compared to the stock unit....polished by mois...

Yasin
Old 09-03-2005, 03:31 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emanuel,
Will the factory plastic shroud fit ? I have a garrettson and was thinking about the same thing. Shot some pics wil you get it installed.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:01 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Dude...read my reply!

Originally Posted by slownrusty
But you have to remove the plastic shroud under the whale tail to make it fit.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:27 PM
E-man930
Banned

OMG,
Why did you have to go and polish your intercooler. Do you know how close I was to polishing mine. I spent an HOUR staring at it with my polishing wheel in hand...
Thanks alot dude, now I have to take it back off and polish my intercooler as it looks too cool this way...

I think I'm going to modify the factory shroud with a few nice pieces of aluminium 1/8" sheet and a pop-rivet gunn as it is important to duct all of the air through the core and prevent any from bypassing it...

I'll post pics of the modified shroud once I'm done.
E-man930
Old 09-03-2005, 11:01 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

E - Sorry bro! Usually if I think about doing something, I find that if I spend too much time thinking about it...it never gets done. Just gotta dig your heals in and do it right? Took forever to polish that bad boy...but was worth it.

Here it is mounted.

Here is the Garretson / Andial unit for those were asking...

Yasin
Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the same IC from ebay for $600 and it came black like the original. It looks like it has always been there. I had to remove the plastic shroud to make it fit. And I don't see how adding a new shroud could make it fit much better. Please, oh please don't start polishing the engine componets like all the rice rocket people! We all seem to be "Originalist's" to some degree, even if we modify our wheels. Going the chrome and polish route in the engine bay starts to look very Detroit. Nothing wrong with looking Detroit, but look what Porsche did with the OEM IC. If we keep polishing and chroming we will look like "The weiredest Porsche I've ever seen ".JMTC
Rudy
Old 09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
E-man930
Banned

Adding a new shroud will force all of the air through the core instead of allowing some of the air to go around the intercooler. It will perform better, end of story.
And I like polished things... I polished my oil cap, I polished my fan, I polished my turbo to intercooler pipe... heck on the last 944 turbo I owned, it had a set of big brakes off a 993TT that I spent 3 weekends polishing... that's right, I had polished big brakes on that car with 993TT 18's hollow spokes... It looked damn good. I don't think I have enough in me to take the intercooler off and polish it, I'lll leave it as is... (I used a wire wheel to clean it up) I will make a shroud for it though. I didn't get a chance to drive the car tonight so I 'll report my seat of the pants before and after intercooler changes tomorow. I have to freaking rewire my drivers aero mirro as I mixed 2 wires up and now the mirror will go the opposite direction you push the litle mirror ****...
sigh...
On a side note the clubsport steering wheel install went great. I just have to have the steering wheel recentered on the alignment rack this coming Monday.
Then I'll move to installing my sanders eng. torsion bars and a nice set of properly valved bilstein shocks to match...

E-man930 out.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend has got the B&B intercooler and it's pretty good. I would however put in the long neck and pop of valve update.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:47 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Rudy - Not this bull$hit again...about rice this and rice that. Let me guess...the red valve covers that come on Ferraris looks pretty "ricey" too, how about when guys put $5000 worth fully polished or Chrome HRE or Kinesis wheels on their Porsches....Rice right?

Listen you drive your car the way you want it, I will drive mine the way I want it. In the mean time please keep your (shallow) comments to yourself.

Sheesh - Yasin

Quick Reply: Garrettson V.2 Intercooler Install