Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005 | 03:18 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Got a 930 Today...

OK so maybe I've done the Turbo thing ***-backwards starting out with a 996Turbo (now up to 900hp) but I've had a hankering for a 930 for quite some time. It's the first Porsche I ever got a ride in. It was an early 80s blue laggy monster but I loved everyminute of it hence I've finally found one that suits my needs. I got it for a great price although we'll need to do some minor things to it... It's white, a 79 and the previous owner built the engine and left a K27HSF on it.... It's being delivered to the shop tomorrow and I can't wait to start playing with a car that doesn't weight 3500 pounds! I love the 996TT but something tells me that hauling say 2600 pounds around is going to be a lot of fun as well...

OK back to ordering parts ALthough I'm far from a 930 expert our lead tech is going to show me the way....

Pictures to follow tomorrow. The previous owner had the idea of making it look like an RSR with a duck tail to make it stealth but I'm going back to the pure 930 look....
Old 07-30-2005 | 10:29 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Congrats, looking forward to pics! I am sure with your Porsche Turbo knowledge, you will make the car a monster. I am sure you will love your 930.

900hp 996? OK....I am very scared.

Yasin
Old 07-30-2005 | 11:37 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Alex's car is well storied on the 996 board and has published articles vaunting the performance of the beast, I am holding on to my chair for what comes next with the 930.
Old 07-30-2005 | 11:55 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Congrats, looking forward to pics! I am sure with your Porsche Turbo knowledge, you will make the car a monster. I am sure you will love your 930.

900hp 996? OK....I am very scared.

Yasin
Hi Yasin, thanks for the kind words... I actually want to really drive and use the car a lot. Maybe a few DE's or AutoX' too so my approach is going to be a bit different. I think I'm going to go for as little lag as possible, which means a Turbo from Kevin and then make the car so darn light so it doesn't need too much power. I'm thinking maybe 450-500 with minimal lag and if the car weighs like 2400 that'd be sweet. I already have the AC out
Old 07-30-2005 | 02:19 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What.. No way Sharky.. No call.. It has a Hyflow S on it? Pictures.. Did you sell your EVO? 930 is a awesome daily driver..
Old 07-30-2005 | 02:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevin
What.. No way Sharky.. No call.. It has a Hyflow S on it? Pictures.. Did you sell your EVO? 930 is a awesome daily driver..
It's being delivered today and I'll call you next week The owner said it had some K27HSF thingy so we shall see Either way that puppy is coming off soon to go for surgery to you! We have to get rid of lag...

I did sell the EVO and as much fun as it was/is I just got tired of crappy parts breaking on it. ****ty transmission and transfer case (that was a POS) really bugged me... Also if I told you how much I got this 930 for you'd murder me!
Old 07-30-2005 | 04:10 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Sharky,
Congrats on your new ride. The 930 is a very pure, raw sports car with classic lines which IMO lives on forever. However a few good mods will turn it into a beast. I'd do the below to achieve the power you want.

1 bar boost spring
K&N air filter and drill a few holes under your airbox for improve air flow
Turn up your CO to between 3.5-4%
K27HFS turbo
SC Cams
Kokeln long neck intercooler
Andial fuel enrichment
Fabspeed exhaust
B&B or GHL headers
Additional oil cooler up front
KEP clutch kit
Coil over setup, Ruf anti sway bars and strut bar, monoball camber mounts

With all of the above and a good well maintained engine with no leaks whatsoever and new ignition cables etc etc you shld see about 400RWHP with good fuel.

If your opening up your block, bump in compression to 7.5, 98mm P&C kit, ARP headstuds and conrodbolts, racing valve springs with titanium retainers and the normal change in seals, valves etc etc. You dont need to go to far by ni risist rings and all that unless your aiming really big power like 650-700bhp. Otherwise save your money for something else.

There are quite a few good 930 tuners out there so keep your optons open and good luck my friend.
Old 07-30-2005 | 11:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sameer
Sharky,
Congrats on your new ride. The 930 is a very pure, raw sports car with classic lines which IMO lives on forever. However a few good mods will turn it into a beast. I'd do the below to achieve the power you want.

1 bar boost spring
K&N air filter and drill a few holes under your airbox for improve air flow
Turn up your CO to between 3.5-4%
K27HFS turbo
SC Cams
Kokeln long neck intercooler
Andial fuel enrichment
Fabspeed exhaust
B&B or GHL headers
Additional oil cooler up front
KEP clutch kit
Coil over setup, Ruf anti sway bars and strut bar, monoball camber mounts

With all of the above and a good well maintained engine with no leaks whatsoever and new ignition cables etc etc you shld see about 400RWHP with good fuel.

If your opening up your block, bump in compression to 7.5, 98mm P&C kit, ARP headstuds and conrodbolts, racing valve springs with titanium retainers and the normal change in seals, valves etc etc. You dont need to go to far by ni risist rings and all that unless your aiming really big power like 650-700bhp. Otherwise save your money for something else.

There are quite a few good 930 tuners out there so keep your optons open and good luck my friend.
Hi Sameer, thanks for the very kind welcome. I'm really tickled pink (or white) and can't stop looking at it. It's the first Porsche that I ever got a ride in as a kid and I've always wanted one but for one reason or another never stepped up. This was one offer I could NOT refuse and it was white... It needs some work (spend an hour or so getting rid of the Carerra decal lol) but the engine (rebuilt) sounds good.

I was thinking of going the boost controller route just so I can put around. Maybe use a Tial WG. It actually has a B&B exhaust already but I'll need some headers although first thing is smogging (sigh) the poor thing... Maybe I'll weld a couple of cayenne turbo cats on

I will have to get that intercooler. No AC means I can use up that space as you suggested. No prices are on their site but I know them from the GAF... Mike@EVO was saying they have a full-sized IC now as well so I'll ask him.

The K&N jobbie also seems like a good idea although hopefully that doesn't suck too much hot air in
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:16 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok so I took a quick before and after snap... Some liked the decal but I think it needs the shark fins and no decals personally The lights are out cos I am getting some H4s (can't seem to find H1s anywhere).
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2005 | 02:47 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Sharky,
Get the Philips Xenon lights with high and low beam. Isit grand prix white? Who needs cats, get the Fabspeed exhaust. Download their video from their website, you'll love it.
Old 07-31-2005 | 09:46 AM
BoneDaddy
Advanced

I (sort of) did the same, but my tt doesn't sport 900hp (just 500). I bought an '87 slant that at 18 years old still turns heads and is a gas to drive. It's straight and clean, so the goal is a factory restoration after some fun on the road. Congrats on 2 great cars.
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:17 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Hey Alex, congrats and try not to kill yourself. This car will be unlike anything you have ever had when there is power under her.

BTW forget the andial enrichment system. They are not that great. There are other alternatives that will do a much better job. Also on the intercoolers drop me a call I can give you the skinny on them as well.
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Hey Alex, congrats and try not to kill yourself. This car will be unlike anything you have ever had when there is power under her.

BTW forget the andial enrichment system. They are not that great. There are other alternatives that will do a much better job. Also on the intercoolers drop me a call I can give you the skinny on them as well.
Hey bud... don't worry too much- it's a long way from your yellow beast for now Which alternatives are there that you like bud? I'll chat to you Monday then... I actually have the AC out and might just keep it that way which means I could get a full-sized IC...

I swear, no drag racing on this one. Just gonna lighten it up, give it some power (450-500 is good) and then drive it and enjoy it. It's such a pretty car even if Joan thinks I'm nuts
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

There are also ways to make the AC work like a full underbody condenser. We have done them for years and they work well in conjunction to the normal ones. We have gotten 32 degrees at idle from the vents with that system. In your case there is no reason to do a full intercooler. Your goals don't really warrant the need. Do that because you want to. Not because you need to.

The enrichment, yes. We modify the fuel head. Something that should have been done 30 years ago. It will add fuel where it is needed, not in the midrange.
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:34 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sameer
Sharky,
Get the Philips Xenon lights with high and low beam. Isit grand prix white? Who needs cats, get the Fabspeed exhaust. Download their video from their website, you'll love it.
Are those for the H1s or the H4s? Where'd you get those? Only reason I need cats (I don't want to use 'em) is for the initial california smogging of the vehicle. Once that's done.... The Fabspeed exhaust sounds wicked. I've used Joe's stuff on my 996TT before so I know his stuff

It's pearl white yeps

Quick Reply: Got a 930 Today...