911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Who really has the best Aftermarket Header + TiAL WG Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:45 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Who really has the best Aftermarket Header + TiAL WG Question

Gang - Who really has the best aftermarket header for the 930? Its it Powerhaus or B&B or GHL? Anyone else worth considering? Seeing as I have everything torn apart I am kicking the can around if its worth spending the big $$$ to buy a set of aftermarket headers.

Mine are fine but I have 2" section that is squashed-in a bit from what looks like when the car might have bottomed out or touched on something.

Also for those of you running the TiAL 46mm WG....the two OE lines with the banjo bolts that bolt to the stock WG, I would like to replace them with a braided steel line, can someone tell me where they run to...I tried following them but ran out of daylight and was getting pretty exhaust by day's end. These stock lines seem to have alot of play \ slack in them, I would imagine they go to somewhere on the intake manifold.

Thanks a bunch guys - Yasin
Old 05-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The B&B will show a hp improvement over the GHLs, but they have had some quality control issues. Beyond that, you are into custom header territory. Personally, the headers from Mode (Bob Holcombe) work very well and support high HP levels.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:03 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey - I checked's Bob's website and ther is no info on thier headers on, in fact alot of the site is still under construction.

Can you give me a ballpark as to how much they sell their headers?

Also what are the exact issues with the B&B is it heat related cracking over time?

Yasin
Old 05-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PowerHaus does not make headers. They will sell you B&B stuff.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Marco Manzie at Billet Designs makes prety good headers too
Old 05-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

B&Bs have heat cracking over time which causes FOD into the turbine wheel of the turbo and that is bad news. I don't know if they have fixed the issues or not. I believe Bob charges somewhere in the 4K range for his headers. I have them on my car and they are fantastic, they are also over 15 years old and have held up well considering the environment of a 550+hp car over the last 9 years.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:18 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Geoffery - Thanks for the feedback. I do not have that massive cash outlay to spend on Bob's headers, so I will take my chances on the B&B and I will have them ceramic coated and hopefully that helps keep th heat in the pipe. It disheartens me that the B&B have these issues - UG!! I thought they would stand behind their product and have a quality item that would not be impacted by the heat.

Yasin
Old 05-15-2005, 12:20 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey,
I installed B&B headers on the 930 about 2 years ago. They stated in their installation procedures that the header pipes should be blown out with compressed air before installing. Nothing like doing the final step of their QA yourself!!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:07 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the GHL's from all the feed back I've read and my personal experience. Just a happy customer.

On the W/G, the top line goes up into the engine tin and acts as a vent (although I have a short piece of ruber hose that sticks straight off it pointing backwards on mine). The side line goes to the manifold if I'm not mistaken. On my Kolken I/C, it now goes there.

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Gang - .

Also for those of you running the TiAL 46mm WG....the two OE lines with the banjo bolts that bolt to the stock WG, I would like to replace them with a braided steel line, can someone tell me where they run to...I tried following them but ran out of daylight and was getting pretty exhaust by day's end. These stock lines seem to have alot of play \ slack in them, I would imagine they go to somewhere on the intake manifold.

Thanks a bunch guys - Yasin
Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a custom set from Powerhaus. They look like B&B but they are not. Though if you need something normal, maybe they are...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:09 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

A930Rocket - Yes I figured out how the WG hooks-up VERY easy - no worries in that department.
Thanks.
Yasin
Old 05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Having had both B&B and GHL, spend your money on the GHL's. I had two sets crack, and finally went to GHL. No problems since, and the car is running much more power now than it was with the B&B's. (FWIW, i have no connection to either one, I sell insurance to feed my HP habit)
Old 05-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Damn these B&B are really notorious. They should seriously look into improving the quality of their products. It's not like they are the cheapest stuff in the market.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had 3 sets of GHLs in the last 8 years. All died due to cracking and metal fatigue. Also very restrictive compared to the B&B. The restrictive secondaries make it difficult to get the heat out of the engine. This heat also leads to the cracking.

My current motor is a 964 based 3.6L with a Tec3. I last had GHL 3.6L headers and a K27HF. The color of the headers got progressively darker to the point of being soot black near the turbo. They died of cracking in about one year. The ceramic port liners were also falling out due to excessive heat in the head.

Since changing to a custom sized set from Powerhaus and going back to my K29-7006 I now have EGT temperatures about 200-300F lower than with the GHLs. The engine also breathes much better and makes more power. It also seems to require less octane (I was using a mix of 110 leaded to keep the engine temp down). Hopefully with these lower temperatures the headers will last a lot longer too. For the custom job I think I paid about $100 more than the GHL/B&B items.

It's also a materials problem. The T321 material is not capable of handling this kind of heat. Inconel is but nobody would be able to afford the headers. So I just resign myself to replacing them every 2 years...
Old 05-17-2005, 11:42 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Peter: what kind of power are you creating in your motor? Is your car primarily a track car?

Quick Reply: Who really has the best Aftermarket Header + TiAL WG Question