Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Introducing Myself "New" 930 + Some Of My Other Rides - Lots of Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Introducing Myself "New" 930 + Some Of My Other Rides - Lots of Pics!

Hi Gang - Here is my intro on Rennlist! Well, I finally took delivery of my "new" '89 930 yesterday. I think I lost 15lbs waiting for it took come!! I bought the car in San Diego and it has just over 56,000 on it. I paid a pretty decent price for it, but I had the car thoroughly insepcted by BlackForest and they loved the car and gave the car a solid 8.5-9 out of 10 - they were very impressed with the overall condtion of it - so that gave me the warm and fuzzies. They did a compression and leak down and everything checked out solid and healthy, plus they checked to make the car has never been crashed (frame damaged), electricals and full bumper to bumper on it etc etc.

I really was also drawn by the tan interior which I feel looks pretty sexxxy against the "Arrest Me" Red (not Guards!).

Car drives exceptional and the clutch and gearshift very smooth. The ride is also VERY compliant. The car came with the original window sticker and about $14,000 worth of receipts for work done over the years.

Like most of us on here, I have wanted one of these cars since I was a snot nosed urchin living in England and it feels weird to see the car in my driveway and that I actually stepped up to the plate and bought one! Keep your Lotus', Ferraris, Maseratis, Aston Martins...give me a 930!! (Lamborghinis are the exception...LOL).
After a good scrub and polish basking in the Colorado sunshine:

A little about me....I have built some pretty neat cars over the years ALLL Japanese and mostly all turbo (I am boost head junkie admittingly).

I built the first Skyline powered Datsun truck in the U.S....almost 100mp/h in 2nd gear with three left to grab, 7500rpm red line...brutally quick...I started with this:

7years and $20,000+ later ended up with this (all built at home, incl custom engine mounts, tranny mounts and paint! BTW):

I then built one of the first Supercharged GT-S Corollas (RWD - these cars have a huge cult following in Japan and have been leading the drift scene for over 15years). This car was very fun and had just under 215hp at 14psi in a 2350lbs car.

I then sold the red Supercharged Corolla and wanted to build a monster so took three years and a fierce cash outlay to build the ultimate RWD old skool Corolla. This car had a ton of fabrication which I all did at home by hand from the Supra rear end, Supra tranny, coilover suspension and an extrmely rare 20V 4cylinder engine with VVT AND 4-42mm individual throttle bodies that I imported from Japan (these engines never came to the U.S) and then I hand built the entire turbo system. This car has taken down some big game as well on the street, it is handful to drive as the entire front end has a custom carbon fiber front end that I imported from Japan (read "beaucoup $$$$") and is very light. On the dyno it belted out 220wheel hp at ONLY 7psi and I built the engine to handle 22psi and 350wheel hp (car has a decent size hybrid T3\T4 turbo on it). The car was fun and even had custom fabbed 12" Wilwood brakes too. Weighed 2200lbs with a full interior and stereo! I just sold this car on eBay a while ago for a decent price, the funds of which I used to buy the 930. I will definately miss this car but got VERY burnt out on it and will probably never build a car to such a high degree ever again (too much stress).

All aluminum and stainless was polished by me as well. Show and Go is possible!

Then when I got bored I turned my attnetion to my (still have this car) Datsun 280ZX Turbo which I have had for quite a long time now...Its got a T3 turbo, big intercooler, 10psi, full Autometer gauges, custom coilover suspension and bunch of go fast parts that I did at home as well. This car is putting down about 210hp right now and will see full engine management soon! This car has has had a full magazine feature as well.

My daily driver is this little Mazda 323GT, of which only 900 were imported to the U.S - so it is very rare. It has the 1.6L twin cam Miata engine and its turbocharged...it is quick little sleeper and I love driving this thing. It will see a solid 180wheel hp by the end of summer.

I have had lots of other fun cars, but those were the best that I have owned.

Looks like it will be a BUSY summer (yet again!!!!!!). I hope you guys do not mind me picking your knowledge and I promise to not ask too many questions and I promise to use the "Search Engine" extensively.

Looking forward to a lifetime of Porsche of ownership from here on out.

Sorry for the long post! WOW....

Best regards - Yasin
Old 05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Your 930 looks very clean and from what you mentoned, it is very clean which is not easy to come by. You'll be suprised how much power you'll be able to extract from the 930 with not so much money.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM
SoFast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks very clean. Congrats on the buy. Wow, you have a bunch of experince in the import scene. One thing, 930 are not meant to be riced out. Keep it traditional(European), and you will have an easier time at resale if you ever chose to. Again, congrats.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Yasin,
Welcome!! Beautiful car. You obviously have a lot of mechanical experience that will really help in building the 930.

Sofast is right in that going too "nontraditional" in the build of the 930 will reduce its value at resale, but its your car! Make it beautiful for you; not for someone that may buy it someday.

I may be wrong and you can't really tell that well in pictures, but I'm 90% sure that color is in fact guards red. It certainly looks like guards red and Porsche's other red colors had more of a cinnamon or maroon tint to them (and are very rare).

Lastly, remember as you build that these cars are air-cooled and you really have to be careful with boost. They are much more sensitive to boost/heat/timing issues than toyotas. Just keep refering to this list for what you should do to keep it together and you can make 400rwhp pretty easily and reliably.

Good luck and have fun.

-dc
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Sameer & Derick - Thanks for the welcome! My plans for this car is about 400wheel hp and I feel confident taking it to this level based on my experience with my past turbo projects. I really do not want to get "too crazy" with this car in terms of hp, as reliability on pump gas and insurance in terms of keeping it together is VERY important to me. I am going to have fun with the car, I can see it now. Yes the color is Gurads Red (confirmed by the Bill of Sale I received) but I prefer to call it "Arrest Me" Red....LOL!

SoFast -I sincerely hope that you are not refering to my past projects as "ricey" as if you are, I take a massive offence to that Do you see any tribal graphics, Lamborghini doors, neons on these cars? My silver Turbo Corolla has taken down ZO6 Corvettes and GT Mustangs with ease...the look on the faces of the owners was PRICELESS as my 21year old Rice (as you call it) walked away from them with little effort and all from a 1.6L too. We're not talking off the lights either, I am talking a HARD 3rd gear roll on. Please respect the effort people put into their vehicles even though it might not be too your taste, we are all car guys at the end of the day whether you drive a 930, Hemi Cuda or a Civic.

Peace - Yasin
Old 05-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Yasin, just in case your wondering abt what mods to do...

Engine mods:375-400rwhp, these are the mods most would do.
Kokeln long neck intercooler
B&B, GHL or Fabspeed exhaust
B&B or GHL headers
1 bar boost spring
Drill 8-9 1 inch holes at the bottom of airbox and replace with K&N panel filter
K27HF2 turbo
SC or 964 Cams
Andial fuel enrichment or just have your fuel distributor modified
Additional oil cooler with electric fan
Port and polish your intake manifold from 32mm to 38mm

Chasis mods:
Sanders engineering torsion bar
Bilstein sport shocks
Monoball camber mounts
Ruf or other brand sway and anti roll bars

I'd also have the whole car checked for plugs, cables, hoses, leaks etc etc just to make sure your not loosing any power already.

The K Jetronic with fuel enrichment is good upto 450-480fwhp and nothing more. If you want to go further, you have to go EFI.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:22 PM
SoFast
Racer

I didnt mean offense, just a bit of advice. Yes, the Japanese imports are considered ricers. All of them. Sorry for the stereotype. If you try to attempt that look, with gauges and bling bling rims, the car will easily lose its value. As Derick stated, it is your car. I am refering to resale value and the worth of your effort in the end. The 930 is usually purchased by purists and Euro nuts. Some cars with major modifications have a hard time selling in this market for their worth(time, effort, engine mods). The moded cars do not sell for much more then stock low mileage 930 that are running around out there. Just informing you of reality in the 930 market place. As well, yes you have accomplished a lot in the Import scene on mods. Looks great. It is amazing what you can get out of those cars.

Congrats on your purchase again. Enjoy it.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

slownrusty, Sofast is correct in his tone as a suggestion. You have many ways to build a Supra or Honda, many kits and many options.. And can you recoup the $$$ spent? With the 930 there are fewer ways to make solid power and the word is "safe power" The truth is, these engines in stock form cannot be boosted like a Supra engine, even if you think you can.. 400 ponies can be reached as you mentioned.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy German engineering..
Old 05-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Sameer
Race Car

The limitations of an air cooled angine....as compared to water cooled
Old 05-08-2005, 02:17 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Guys...guys....yes I understand the limitations of the air cooled engines (heat being the No. 1 enemy and by-product of combustion!!!) and trust me I had to sell a kidney and few other precious organs to buy this 930 so that last thing I am going to do is get foolish and blow it up, I have been doing this for quite a while now, so I am pretty comfortable with the forced induction arena. I am all about sensible upgrades ...again I am all about keeping it safe, reliable and bolted together.

The cars I have built have "no-bolt" ons...I wish!!! My little turbo Corolla has so much fabrication and custom welding on it..I could have got my welder's certification on it alone! I have always enjoyed cars that stand out and are not regular run of the mill. I also enjoy driving cars that are well balanced, accelerate, corner and decelerate with confidence and poise.

I know German \ European car owners are more of the "purist" type...and again I respect that.

Sameer - Thanks for that list - mucho appreciated! And duly noted. I had my 930 fully inspected by an Independent Garage in San Diego when I bought and all systems checked out solid! Mechanically, Drivetrain and Electrically. It was the best $225 I spent.

So Fast - Again I have to re-phrase that you are selling yourself VERY short if you consider that "the Japanese imports are considered ricers" (what is up with your stereotypical ways anyway??)....would you consider this a ricer:
One of the most sought after cars in the world:

How about this, the car that made the sports car world stand up and pay attention - a classic for ever, this car arguably alone brought the British Sports Car builders to their knees:

How about this, clean, EXTREMELY fast and beautiful, a true driver's car (sorry had top bring it up...but its true!!):

and is this RICE - hardly - 4doors of opulence???

I am not trying to be a stick in the mud especially as I am new on Rennlist...but I want to rephrase what I said earlier "we are all car guys at the end of the day whether you drive a 930, Hemi Cuda or a Civic"

HAVE a great day!

Yasin aka Mr. Slow'N'Rusty!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:21 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the board! Impressive fabrication work, I'm really trying to improve my skills and it's fun to see others' work. It's always nice to have fresh 930 blood and "out of the box" thinking is always a good thing whether it pans out or not. Enjoy.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:08 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I thought this was a Porsche board? I get enough of cars like this on my way to work in South Florida. Psot some more pic's of the interior etc.. of your wonderful new 89 930. Thats what we all sign in to see. Welcome to P-Cars, the more you drive them, the more you will understand the true "soul" of a German sports car.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:25 PM
SoFast
Racer

I am not one to put some person down for what they like. To each their own. Here is a base reference point. Cruise around in your Japanese import, lexus, Toyota, etc. It doesnt matter. Add as many affects and HP as you like. See what kind of looks you get. Then take a ride in a F-car or P-car and see what looks you get. See what feel you get in the seat of your pants. Listen to the engine humming behind you. I guarantee a huge difference.......

Think about why all that is different? Why do these (P&F)cars get the respect they do?

Why dont the Japanese imports?

Somewhere in that reference lies the answer.

BTW, I once owned a 280ZX. It was a fun car. Just different. I liked it very much....Just different. The Porsche is a totally different beast.

Last edited by SoFast; 05-08-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome Slowrusty!

You have a beautiful 930 there!

Your previous projects are also beauty's! I have a 1981 RX-7 that I bought with only 6 miles on it. I used to autocross it a lot in the 1980's and the only car that could keep up was the Datsun 260Z. The Porsche guys got so frustrated by that they invited me up to Brainerd on the big track for their year end event. Naturally there they beat me up pretty badly. That's where I really got an appreciation for the cars. So last year I bought 2 944 Turbos (my son bought one from me) and the Strosek 930. The power of these cars is amazing. But like you, I also enjoy driving my RX-7 & Miata in addition to the Porsches. They are two very different kinds of car. The Mazdas are very easy to drive fast. The Porsches are much more of a handful because of all that power. They are all great cars and fun to drive.

Best regards!

Tom
Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Tom - Thanks for the welcome. Gosh...first gen RX7s have always had a special place in my heart...I always thought that one day I would have one and would love to do a 13BT conversion. So many projects...so little time (and money....LOL!). Thats amazing that you are an orignal owner...WOW. How do you like the balance of the Miata compared to the RX7?

Do you have more pics of your Strosek? Would love to see some more..a mighty rare car. Any engine upgrades?

SoCal Mike - Thanks for the comments and compliments - much appreciated.

SoFast - You have your opinion, I have mine so I guess we will just have to "agree to disagree".

More pics to come of my 930.
Thanks for the welcome gang!
Yasin

Quick Reply: Introducing Myself "New" 930 + Some Of My Other Rides - Lots of Pics!