Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:50 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I do understand that the ZC is a process. Could you get the HF without the ZC? If so, are you comparing the HF non-ZC performance to the GT35R?

On the Zero Clearance, how often do you need to rebuild it? With some miles the bearings and tolerances get looser, wouldn't that affect the ZC?
Old 03-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes, most High Flows are shipped without the Zero Clearance process. I know the 35's very well.. along with all of the BB units.. The real question is that one cannot rebuild the BB units.. Once it fails one has to fork out the turbo price again. Garrett is not offering replacement cartridges.. Many times I have felt sorry for the individual and have sold a new turbo without the housings, at a reduced price level, to get the person up and running again.. As far as the the Zero Clearance process wearing out, it really is determined on bearing wear.. KKK bearing systems are far better than most other turbo manufacturers.. The K27 has a very good thrust and bearing system..
Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Kevin]Yes, most High Flows are shipped without the Zero Clearance process. I know the 35's very well.. along with all of the BB units.. The real question is that one cannot rebuild the BB units.. Once it fails one has to fork out the turbo price again. Garrett is not offering replacement cartridges..

From what I am understanding there will be replacement cartridges very soon for those that might need them down the road.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, Kevin,

After what I have been reading here, I am thinking about adding a small water cooling setup (tank, lines, pump, small rad) to cool my twin turbos while I race as well as on cool down.

Do you think this will add tremendously more life to my turbos. I dont enjoy replacing them every 20 race hours - which is about 3 changes each season for me.

(1) What size water tank would suffice ?

(2) Should I run antifreeze and water ?

(3) Would a small trans cooler suffice as the radiator ?

(4) I was thinking of using a 944Turbo electric pump - would that work well - since it will be running while I am on the track and during cool down ? How will the durability of the 944T pump be ? On a 944 T does this not just run after the engine is turned off ? Can the pump be reliable at this much longer duty ?

Thanks,
Norm
Old 03-21-2005, 05:03 PM
TurboTim
Banned

(1) What size water tank would suffice ?

a gallon or two should be sufficient

(2) Should I run antifreeze and water ?

It brings the boiling point down so it should help keep things cooler.

(3) Would a small trans cooler suffice as the radiator ?

Yes.

(4) I was thinking of using a 944Turbo electric pump - would that work well -

Yes.

since it will be running while I am on the track and during cool down ?

If you run the thermo switch

How will the durability of the 944T pump be ?

Excellent

On a 944 T does this not just run after the engine is turned off ?

No.It runs during normal operation too.

Can the pump be reliable at this much longer duty ?

It wont be working harder on your car then it does on a 944T.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,

Thanks for your replies...

(1) what type of water hose should I use - right near the center section there will be a lot of heat, so I assume braided hose would not be good - or would it be okay if I cover it the hose fire sleeve ?

(2) I take it you believe this will really help with the longevity. After 20 hours I get drips of oil on the cold side - probably because the seal is starting to fail. Any idea, will this marginally help or will it double or triple the life. A very hard to answer question, I know. I just want to make sure in order of magnitude I know what to expect. If it only marginally will help, it is not worth the time and effort. But if you think I may be able to go say 40 hours or more, it would be worth it... Just wanted your impression on this...

Thanks,
Norm
Old 03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=ngoldrich]Tim,

Thanks for your replies...

(1) what type of water hose should I use - right near the center section there will be a lot of heat, so I assume braided hose would not be good - or would it be okay if I cover it the hose fire sleeve ?

You can use the braided hose if you protect it or silicones hose will work well.

(2) I take it you believe this will really help with the longevity. After 20 hours I get drips of oil on the cold side - probably because the seal is starting to fail. Any idea, will this marginally help or will it double or triple the life. A very hard to answer question, I know. I just want to make sure in order of magnitude I know what to expect. If it only marginally will help, it is not worth the time and effort. But if you think I may be able to go say 40 hours or more, it would be worth it... Just wanted your impression on this...

It is hard to say but double the life span of your turbos should be realistic.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Norm, water-cooling will definately add life to your turbo's.. However, the extent is not known.. Try it and see.. There are KKK alternatives.. I know about your ECU issue, but that can be solved also.. Personally I'd dump the Zytec and switch to a Autronics and tune to your hearts content.. The turbo that you should be running is my billet aluminum Stage 4...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim, Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback.

One last question, what size hose for the water ?
(a) braided -4 or -6
(b) silicone 1/4, 3/8 ...

At some point (maybe next year) I may switch to Motec since that is what I have run on my other cars and an familiar with it.

Thx,
Norm
Old 03-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Norm, high temp silicone 1/2" minimum to each turbo then I'd step up to 3/4" main line to the cooler.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

Thanks,
Norm
Old 03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

Another question that just came to mind - do I need 2 pumps with a separate supply and return to each turbo or just 1 pump and connect them in series. If I connect them in series, I wpuld guess the first turbo will most likely get cooler than the second due to the heat transferred to the water after cooling the first turbo before it enters the second turbo.

Thanks,
Norm
Old 03-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Great thread and great Q&A. Norm it would be wonderful if you could share some pictures with the board once you have built the setup. I would be very interested to build one as well for my Garrett turbos if possible.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It all depends on how much static pressure you have.. I'd go and find a Summit Racing catalog and look at some of the pumps that are offered.. The most important things is to install a expansion tank. You can use a Ford SVO or Merkur XR4TI tanks.. I use the XR4TI tanks, because they have the radiator cap and all the different ports contained in one small tank..
Old 03-22-2005, 02:45 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

I will look at Summit. Turbo944 elec H2O pumps are an easy option. If not those, what psi & volume flow is needed ?

Also, I take you do think 2 pumps and separate supply and return lines are the best way to go.

Thx,
Norm

Quick Reply: Bolt-on Garrett GT35R turbo for 911