911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

EFI university

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Randy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI university

Just finished the EFI University "EFI 101" course.

In my opinion, this class is a very valuable investment for anyone interested in expanding your understanding of the fundamentals of internal combustion engines, and particularly how this applies to the design and application of EFI systems. Even if you think you're an expert (I didn't), it will be a good refresher, and maybe even raise some new questions and thought processes.

For those of you considering an EFI conversion, or just looking to gain knowlege about car stuff, I strongly recommend this class. It's fun just being in a room with many like minded enthusiasts and pros alike. I took the class in Redmond, WA, and there were guys from all over the west coast, BC, and even as far away as Tennessee.

FWIW, I have no professional relationship, just a very satisfied student.

Here's a link....

www.efi101.com
Old 01-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed your class. We finished the EFI Advanced class Saturday in Rochester, NY and passed 4 new students.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for more than a better understanding of the ICE.

Will this class, at a minimum, allow me to make some intelligent decisions about the conversion of my turbo to EFI? Hoping I can do more that, will the class allow me to purchase the Pat Williams or Racetek EFI components and do the necessary mapping and tuning?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Randy
Instructor

Very good question.

I can say that I know I could make an intelligent and informed decision about what I needed with respect to hardware, and what types of features I wanted. The actual real time tuning is quite another thing. In theory, I personally could collect the necessary parts, assemble them on the engine and get everything wired and ready to go for actual tuning.

At this point, with the information presented at the class, I could contract with the suitable testing facility, an engine dyno preferably, or steady load state capable chassis dyno (not inertia type i.e. Dynojet) and have at it.

Now, speaking for myself, I personally think that experience cannot be discounted when considering the actual tuning on a dyno. I could do it, but how long would it take? Would it end up being more cost effective to hire a pro, not to mention the peace of mind of being confident that the chances of personally doing something with serious consequences could be mitigated? I don't know. That's an equation that has to be weighed by each individual against their own comfort level and experience.

The short answer to your question? 1. Yes, and 2. it depends upon your personal attributes, but quite possibly so.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:14 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeffrey, as a graduate of both the efi 101 and advanced classes I can say that the class was incredibly informative on levels I hadn't expected. I think of myself as a pretty hardcore DIY with similar efi aspirations for my cab. efi tuning really requires you to think about the engine operation at a much deeper level, the 101 class will get you there. The advanced class allows you to get hands on. It wasn't long before I was sitting in the drivers seat of our tuning subject(an immaculate turbo subi sand rail with autronic ecu) on the dyno with laptop for tuning and cordless mouse in hand to control the dyno. It has been 4 months since my class and I still would feel comfortable hopping on the dyno. Once you do it yourself it really hits home. It will also make it quite obvious why a dyno is crucial for the tuning process. At the very least it will help you find the right dyno and tuner and know what the process should be.
The added benefit will be the ability to talk 1 on 1 directly with an expert like Ben or Geoffrey during your class and develop a relationship with the dyno shop hosting the class(especially if they are local to you).
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 332 Likes on 223 Posts

Randy I see your valid points, however since you are one of the alumni now.. emailing your data logs and tuning that you just did on the dyno to Geoffrey or/and Ben will get you to that level of perfection.... Mid term paper, or finals...

Mike are you running an 3406E?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:53 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - that's helpful information. I am thinking of attending the one in Redmond in May - sounds like something I should do.

The reason I asked is because those who saw the last issue of Excellence found an article in the back on the EFI conversion using the Pat Williams setup. They certainly made seem straightforward, but I know there is a lot more to it than what was described there - before taking that step I want to know what to expect and how much I can reasonable do myself.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You can think of EFI conversion on a 930 is several parts. First is the hardware. The kit Kevin, Stephen, and I are putting together has all of the parts and sensors with instructions. It is a little more difficult than adjusting valves, but not impossible for say a "hardcore DYI". The second part is the wiring. This is the part where most people stumble and about 90% of the problems I fix are wiring related. Again, not impossible, but it needs to be well thought out. Third is the actual setup of the ECU for the particular injector, base injector pulsewidth, input/output configuration, and fourth is the actual dyno tuning, road verification, cold start, etc.

With the EFI University classes, we teach the basic math of how an EFI uses sensors to calculate the appropriate AFR, and how to tell the proper ignition timing. The advanced class will give you hands on for the tuning aspect, and you will be able to put into practice tuning for maximum power (ignition timing) and managing the heat (fuel). We also put an oscilloscope on the car and look at the relationship of cam/crank sensors to ignition timing, fuel injector pulse width, and use the math from 101 to calculate things like engine RPM.

The EFI kit is available now in unfinished form if anyone wants to try to wire it yourself.

I posted on the 993tt board the dyno graph from the Advanced class held this past Saturday. I put together a 924S which is completely stock and runs both stock Motronics, and an Autronic SMC ECU (the same unit we are using in the kit). The car has a cat, and retains the flow restrictive air flow meter and runs on 87 octane fuel. The students were able to tune the car for 14% more power than the stock system and would be more if higher octane fuel was used and inlet restrictions were removed.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:23 PM
D
Instructor

Geoffrey, do you run the class in Redmond, WA?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

For the most part I do the east coast classes and Ben does the west coast classes.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:23 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin

Mike are you running an 3406E?

C12.....and blew a turbo seal about 2 months ago! I've always considered upgrading the turbo at some point and you mentioned there were some options some time ago, but I needed it back on the road ASAP and I plan on selling my trucking business in the next year. Anyway, my cab will be in need of a new turbo soon to go with the efi

Quick Reply: EFI university