911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Carrillo rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Corte Loco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrillo rods

I'm interested on a USED set of Carrillo rods for a friend's ''86 930 turbo. Also interested on Haltech F3. He's running with 20/21 camchafts, BIG I/C and big fuel injectors and want to rev from 6,800rpm to 7,500rpm. Any other suggestion for this set up really appreciated.

Regards
Old 01-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The webcam 20/21 cams are a terrible cam for the turbo engine and are made specifically for a N/A engine with CIS which does not like intake pulsations. They have 6 degrees of overlap on the intake and exhuast which means that the exhaust valve is closing very early, the intake is opening very late, and together it does not have much duration. It also means that the effective compression ratio is much higher than with say a 964 camshaft which has around 51degrees of overlap and much more duration. These cams do not let the engine breathe adequately, and certainly will not make power in the range you are looking at. Peak power with these cams is about 6000rpm and falls of quickly, by about 6800 you're done. If you want to make power in that RPM range, you'll need a camshaft with more duration than a GT2 Evo cam as well as heads, intake, and exhaust that can flow enough air.

The Haltech F3 ECU is a FUEL ONLY ECU which means that you'll be limited by the factory mechanical ignition system. It also is a very old ECU that can only do batch fire or multipoint on a 6 cylinder. I doubt you'll make the power you want without having an ECU that controls timing. This also means that the car is probably still single plug??? Knowing that in PR Haltech is well represented, I might suggest looking into the E11 ECU or alternatively the lower cost E6X (E6K replacement) which will also only do batch or multipoint on a 6 cylinder engine.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 01-25-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

When buying USED Carrillo's make sure that you have them checked out.. If you have the time, send them back to Carrillo for a tune up...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
When buying USED Carrillo's make sure that you have them checked out.. If you have the time, send them back to Carrillo for a tune up...

Wise,...wise words,........

Never,....ever install a set of used race rods without have them checked by the factory that made them. You have no idea what RPM's these have seen and the consequences can be very expensive.

If you really want to run the engine to 7500 RPM, you should have non-OEM valve springs and retainers and some other oiling modifications done to the bottom end, as well.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Corte,
I did once a 3.4 twin turbo, with 20/21 cams, with Haltech F-3 taking care of injection and a Electromotive Tech 1 in the ingnition side, that car makes (still alive!) 525 HP @26pnds boost,1/4 mile at 11.8., so it is a viable combination.,cheers,Sonny.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Corte, at 1.7bar of boost it made 525hp, that is a lot of boost. If it is fwhp we're talking about, with a different cam configuration, you'd see that hp level at .7bar to 1bar depending on engine configuration. My point is that the cam is too small for a turbo application.

Quick Reply: Carrillo rods