Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Jumping back into the bottomless pit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Jumping back into the bottomless pit...

WhoooHooooo!!!!!

After four years of not owning a 930 and losing touch with a lot of my rennlist buddies, I'm back in the saddle. I just bought a white 89 930 cabriolet (the cab isn't really "me," but I've got three young girls and live in Florida and it is definitely "them" - the more women you have in your house the more opportunities to lose arguments...)

It's completely stock, but it's soon on its way to Mr. Kaspar for enough torque to twist the body just enough so the doors won't shut.

I am going to drive on the track a little, anybody know where to get a Cabriolet rollbar? I know the dimensions of the backseat are a little different.

I'm looking forward to re-engaging.

-dc
Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've seen you before!

Hi:

I was just looking at this car not 5 minutes ago on eBay. Nice looking vehicle, it's been for sale a number of times. How much did you get it for?

Best regards & good luck with it!

Tom
Old 12-10-2004, 07:04 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAS makes a nice bolt-in roll bar. They show up occassionally on classifieds, otherwise it is $1K for the bar and another hundred or so to get it painted. Many places sell them - Google for the place closest to you.

Looks like fun - I'm sure Mr. Kasper can help you spend your money wisely.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:15 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back dc. I'm always amazed at how many '89 cabs pop up for sale considering the low production #'s. Nice avatar! What's planned for mods?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Tom,
It's a long story, but the car showed 50% leakdown on #5 after I did a PPI, so I got a pretty good deal on it. The seller, Team Autoplex, was a real class act about the whole thing. I can't recommend them highly enough. I felt sorry for them, but it's a perfect car for me because I'm going to have Stephen (I used to own "Big Bad," a 78 930 he and his former partner Michael Bene't built in the late 90s) do a complete EFI, big turbo, big intercooler, new P&C with a little higher compression and new cams build anyway.

Thank you for the info on DAS, I'd forgotten about them (I had an Autopower in a different 88 930).

-dc
Old 12-11-2004, 12:38 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pays to do the PPI - glad it worked out for you.

BTW: You will lose the rear seats with the rollbar.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:18 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Derick,

Did you used to live in Atlanta? There was a guy we used to drive at Road Atlanta with who had a 930, sold it and bought a white 930 with lots of mods. Is that you? I had a med blue 911SC Targa at the time and my buddy had (and still does) the brown Mustang.

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Sounds Great!

Originally Posted by Derick Cooper
Tom,
It's a long story, but the car showed 50% leakdown on #5 after I did a PPI, so I got a pretty good deal on it. The seller, Team Autoplex, was a real class act about the whole thing. I can't recommend them highly enough. I felt sorry for them, but it's a perfect car for me because I'm going to have Stephen (I used to own "Big Bad," a 78 930 he and his former partner Michael Bene't built in the late 90s) do a complete EFI, big turbo, big intercooler, new P&C with a little higher compression and new cams build anyway.

Thank you for the info on DAS, I'd forgotten about them (I had an Autopower in a different 88 930).

-dc
Hi Derrick:

It sounds like you found the right car for what you have in mind. I own a 77 Targa that was converted into a STROSEK Turbo Convertible. It has an 84 3.2 motor coverted to a k27 Turbo. The body work was done by Bob Aziano (he is amazing) and the engine & drive train work was performed by David Hart at PROTOTECH in Florida, do you know of him. He did a magnificent job, the motor is a work of art and very powerful (but running only .8 bar of boost for durabililty sake). She is painted in Maritime Blue and we call her Blue Moon. It has a an updated C2 interior and is finished in Dove Grey leather with a Black convertible top.

Your new car sure is a beauty, once you finish with the upgrades it should be quite a beast. David said that mine was putting out about 400 HP and I believe it. When I take it out on a cool day it is like driving an amusement park ride. The accelration, handling and braking are just awsome. I've never driven a car like this before (and I have a tweaked 86 951, a 1981 Mazda RX-7 & a 1995 Racing Beat Miata). I am sure that your car will be similar (or maybe even faster) when you get done. If you are interested in pics of the Blue Moon let me know and I'll send some to your e-mail address. I can't post a picture as my Avatar because the file size has to be too small and I'll have to wait until spring to take a good one in low res.

Anyhow, good luck with your propject!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:31 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Engineerman, I don't think we've seen your car yet? Anziano's is only about 15 minutes from work and use to be a regular drive-by to check stuff out. They've moved on to 996's and don't seem to do much with older metal these days. I'd love to see "Blue Moon". I've always been a fan of Strosek's style.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:42 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default How do I load up some pictures?

Originally Posted by SoCal Mike
Engineerman, I don't think we've seen your car yet? Anziano's is only about 15 minutes from work and use to be a regular drive-by to check stuff out. They've moved on to 996's and don't seem to do much with older metal these days. I'd love to see "Blue Moon". I've always been a fan of Strosek's style.
Hi Mike:

Do I have to become a Rennlist Member to load up pictures? If there is some way with out becoming a member can you let me know how. If not send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a few samples. I may have to break down and become a paid member.

I remember David Hart saying that that Blue Moon was the nicest Strosek conversion that he had ever seen (I don't know about that but I sure do like her). I did not know that Bob Aziano was so well known but he seems to be mentioned in several of the PORSCHE BOOKS as well as David Hart who owns PROTOTECH.

Best regards!

Tom
Old 12-12-2004, 11:13 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Engineerman, click on the membership link at the top of the page.

In the meantime, email me some pics and I'll post them for you.

deltatransport@***.net
Old 12-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Derick,

Did you used to live in Atlanta? There was a guy we used to drive at Road Atlanta with who had a 930, sold it and bought a white 930 with lots of mods. Is that you? I had a med blue 911SC Targa at the time and my buddy had (and still does) the brown Mustang.

Jim
Hey Jim! How have you been? That's me. I've got a video of me in my first 930 chasing you in your targa from like 1998 or 1999 probably?

I bought the faster 930 and you bought the black car from the guy in memphis, right?

I definitely remember driving with you and the guy with the mustang. I hope to be doing the same again soon (although I've gotten in the habit of renting cars for serious track work, it just makes life a LOT easier). I've been racing an e36 M3 (sacrilege, I know) recently at Sebring.

Engineerman, send me a picture via e-mail and i'll make it the right size for an avatar for you and send it back.

-dc
Old 12-13-2004, 08:18 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Dericks e-mail address?

Hey Jim! How have you been? That's me. I've got a video of me in my first 930 chasing you in your targa from like 1998 or 1999 probably?

I bought the faster 930 and you bought the black car from the guy in memphis, right?

I definitely remember driving with you and the guy with the mustang. I hope to be doing the same again soon (although I've gotten in the habit of renting cars for serious track work, it just makes life a LOT easier). I've been racing an e36 M3 (sacrilege, I know) recently at Sebring.

Engineerman, send me a picture via e-mail and i'll make it the right size for an avatar for you and send it back.

-dc
Hi Derick:

You have a deal. Please send me your e-mail address. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those were fun times at RA. You were fast.

I wasn't sure I had the 930 before you moved out west. We haven't run at RA as much in the past few years though. VIR is the track to drive at now.

Keep in touch if you make it to RA, VIR or another track in the SE... And we'll have to try Sebring one day.

See you on the List.

Jim

-dc
Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ENGINEERMAN,
Yes you have to be a member to upload the pics. Your car really sounds interestingand I would love to take a look at it. Can you e-mail me some pics of your beautiful ride at sameer@pacific.net.sg
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Jumping back into the bottomless pit...