911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Magnecor Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Magnecor Plug Wires

As many of you know, the magnecor prices have gone up quite a bit. Other sites are listing the KV85's (#6594) wires for our cars upwards of $200.

I was searching for more affordable sites and found one listing the same set for $99.90 if any one is interested in upgrading from stock. They have since raised there price to $128, still a good buy.

I have only had them installed for a day, but they feel a bit stronger than the stock setup, but what a bitch to put in on the left bank.

I will list the site below. Hope this helps someone.

http://www.ultrarev.com/ecart/shopdi...=911&Year=1988

Blaine
Old 07-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Wright930
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

just recently bought a set of 10mm Magnacor , I like the product
Old 07-02-2004, 04:55 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

I'd like add just a quick comment about ignition wires and their connectors.

Anyone can easily understand the desire to save money at these times when pricing creeps up but I should caution anyone to make fair & accurate comparisons in evaluating alternative solutions.

The main failure point of Porsche factory ignition wires are the most troublesome Beru plug connectors. These little devils contain a small resistor for RFI supression and are quite prone to shorting or opening up when hot. Fact is, these things do not last that long and I've seen them become intermittent within one year.

Why Porsche decided to use an electrical part (the resistor) at the hottest running part of the engine (cylinder heads) is anyones guess. Since the Magnecor connectors do not contain any resistors, they are FAR more durable and last a very long time. The RFI suppression of Magnecors is accomplished by the spiral wrap cable.

No, Magnecor doesn't sell those connectors separately.

If one chooses to buy other wires, please be aware that if they employ Beru or Bosch factory connectors, you should not expect them to last all that long and Magnecors are truly a much better investment.

For the past 30+ years, Porsche owners have chased a LOT of mysterious little misfires and hesitations, all caused by failing (or failed) plug connectors and at $ 20.00+ each, its darned expensive to keep replacing them on an ongoing basis.

I like permanent solutions to problems when feasible and IMHO, the Magnecor 8.5mm wires come VERY close.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,
You mentioned that you'd go for the Magnecore 8.5mm wires. How about the 10mm wires? What difference would it make and are the Magnecores easy to just clip in like the stock wires?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Sameer:

The 10mm ones are too big for most Porsche applications as they do not fit as well into Bosch caps.

The big wiress were really intended for large displacement V-8's that generate a LOT of heat.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Earlier today I called Clewett to see if he had any old stock at the old price but he didn't. BUT, he told me in the next couple weeks he will have is own line of spark plug wires that are comperable to the Magnecor. They will cost less than $150 and come in several colors. So you guys might want to wait and get those instead of the Magnecor. If he will use them in his car then there good enough for me.

Brent
Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,
Thanks. I will be needing them soon and will take them of you.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:07 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

My understanding is the 10mm just offer more heat resistance (not more "conductive" wire). Essently just more rubber to protect the wire.

I have the 8.5's on mine and they have worked well.

John

Quick Reply: Magnecor Plug Wires