935 DP Value

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Scott B
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 935 DP Value

Hi all.

I'm trying to get some information on a 1986 935DP (VIN WPOZZZ93ZGS000138.) I am definitely not a 930 expert and am having a very difficult time getting much information on an exotic version that was never officially imported to the US. A friend (employer, actually) of a family friend owns this car and has asked me to estimate its value -- not that I am in any way qualified for this task except for the fact that I own an Porsche. I drove it and took a bunch of photos. I showed the photos to a friend of mine at Prestige Porsche here in Denver. He was unable to offer any information. They had some sort of Porsche-specific VIN lookup application running on a PC. This returned no information either. Apparently, this particular system does not go back very far. I have had very limited success searching for this here on Rennlist or on Google.

Is anyone here familiar with these cars? Are there any good resources on these cars on the web?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks, Scott
Old 06-12-2004, 03:11 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be flippant, but the answer to that question is it is worth what someone is willing to pay.

DP is a tuner like Ruf, Koenig, Gemballa, etc. There is no established price for these cars because many were built to custom specifications. I checked Sports Car Market, which tracks auctions sales/prices and offers a price guide for rare collector automobiles, but there is nothing in there for DP.

It means nothing, but I saw a DP 935 up for auction on eBay more than 6 months ago - even though it looked exceptional, it didn't get a single bid at $80K. Not surprising considering what $80K can buy you. Your friends car may be penalized a bit because it is gray market, but that never seemed to hurt Ruf pricing.

A few ideas:
1. Contact a high profile auction house about putting the car on consignment or up for auction.
2.Have your friend put the car out there at a high price on some place like duPont Registry and see if he gets any response.
3. He could also put it on eBay. Just set the reserve high and see what the market thinks. This would be my last choice.

DP is still an active tuner and they have a website.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:45 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

JBH said it all. Very very low volume cars like DP 935s are almost impossible to put a price on. No NADA book is ever going to help you. It all depends on the time of day or which way the wind is blowing on such a niche vehicle sometimes. The same car that brings one price one month brings a 30% higher price the following month. A couple people find the car for the first time, escalate the offers, and the price rises. Other times, nobody seems to bite. The DP wannabes may just be on vacation that week and not reading the for sale mags. It can come down to timing and luck and have little to do with the car itself.

Its like putting a price on a 911 Twin Turbo flatnose. You just cant. Prices jump all over the chart. You find a steal one week and a guy who paid a royal sum the next because its been his lifes ambition to own one and wouldnt be denied.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

UD and Jeffrey is absolutely correct. I've seen authentic DP935's range from $45K-$80K. It's really what a buyer is willing to pay for a 935. Either you're lucky to find and get to own one or not. There are no limits on a "price range" per say on tuner cars like these.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
John930S
AutoX

There may be a little more to the story. I've owned a DP935 and there are some aspects worth noting. What is the "documented" history of the car? Most DP 935's were used in some form of competition. Does the car have a verifiable competition log book? If so, who raced it, where , ect. A successful racing history with wins or podium finishes by recognized driver can impact the perceived value of the car greatly. Also, DP 935's came in several configurations, single turbo, dual turbos, ect. The extent of modification (both previously and now) can also impact value. It may take some leg work to dig up the history from previous owners-but it is usually worth the effort for this type of car. A DP 935 successfully campaigned by Al Holbert with a history of wins or podium finishes could well be worth more than a nice example without a verifyable history. Documentation is very important with this type of car.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:27 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out the post in this forum entitled "Question about interior..."

There is a guy that posted there with a DP 935 cabriolet. You might want to talk to him to see if he has some insights.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Kardos
AutoX

Anything worth what ever the next person is willing to pay for it. Why don't you put it up on Ebay, put a high reserve and see how far the bidding will go. Then you have some kind of a mark what people are willing to pay. Make sure you have a detailed description of the car.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Scott B
Track Day

Default Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who replied!

The number one thing that surprised me while doing a little research on this car was how little info there is on the web. Compared to Ruf, DP Motorsports must be a fairly small player in the 911 tuning world. I don't frequent this board very often but it's great to see so much participation.

Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I was living in Woodlands, TX I came up on one from behind. I love the looks of my C2Turbo, but that DP was just too cool. Yes, there are lots of other cars with the performance that match or exceed the DP, but its looks are classic and enduring.

It is interesting to hear some opinion on the quality of the conversion because that was the one big question I have always had about tuners like DP, Gemballa, Roock, etc. Ruf's reputation seems well established, but you just don't hear much about these other companies.

Scott - could you post some pictures of the vehicle?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:51 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

DP-

Youd be a fool to sell that. When you pull out of the driveway, you can be assured nobody -- NOBODY -- will pull up to you in something similar. THat blue DP is such a find. Sure, a 993TT might go faster and handle better, but shoot, theres a lot to be said for having something thats one of a kind. All the DP cars are a little different.

btw, that color matched vert top MAKES that car.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DP935CAB,guys,

Does anyone know whats been done in the DP engine conversion? What boost? How much power at the flywheel?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:42 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sameer:

There is no single answer to that question because these were very much prepared according to customer orders. I'll let DP935 and Scott fill in details on their cars. Guys....please...please....please post pictures of these cars.

UD Pride:

Pleeze...pleeze...pleeze...a new Avatar
Old 06-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes more pictures please and an engine picture would be great.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: 935 DP Value