911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'Porsche Classic Competition' - 1986 930 Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 04:27 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 'Porsche Classic Competition' - 1986 930 Restoration Thread

I know many of you Rennlister's from a few other build threads with my personal cars, but this time - something a little different. The 2020 Porsche Classic Restoration Competition is a passion project brought to you by Porsche Canada, allowing Canadian dealerships the opportunity to restore a classic Porsche of their choice. Dealerships will compete for a series of awards based on the depth and quality of their restoration. Goal: to demonstrate that a Porsche centre is not only a destination for new vehicles - but rather a one-stop-shop for anything 'Porsche', including the classic's.

I've worked for Porsche of London (in London, Ontario Canada) for almost 6 years and am excited to help tackle this project. Our team will be performing a complete restoration on this 1986 911 Turbo. We'll be handling this restoration entirely in-house using genuine OEM Porsche-Classic parts, our local Porsche-Certified bodyshop, and the skills of our talented technicians. The Turbo will be brought back to life with a top-to-bottom mechanical and aesthetic refresh, including replacement of it’s original impact bumpers and body panels, as well as a concours-level repaint in it’s original “White Gold” colour. Upon completion, this 930 will become part of our dealer principals personal collection. The car needs to be a reliable turn-key driver that he can hop in and take for a spin any time. We want to bring the car back to it’s iconic 80’s 930 look, while allowing room for some modern updates and special touches to set it apart from the crowd.

Now a little info about the base for this project...

We've been fortunate to source a great donor for this project. A 1986 911 Turbo. This 930 is a local accident-free, rust-free, Canadian car with good bones. Unfortunately, the car fell victim of the 90's and early '00s with a controversial aftermarket fibreglass 964-style body kit, and a host of badly-fitted modifications to go with it. The quarter panels have been drilled out and moulded with cracking fibreglass Turbo S side scoops and the whole car has been resprayed black - with many defects. Mechanically, it is still a numbers matching car, albeit in need of serious attention. The transmission grinds, the clutch shudders, and the engine profusely leaks oil. Although the car may appear fine from 20 feet away, under the skin it has reached the point of some much needed TLC. Despite it's scruffy appearance and years of neglect, it is still a straight and true 129k km 911 Turbo worthy of the love it's about to receive.

This thread will document the progress over the next ~8 months of the build. Feedback is encouraged! I hope this build should provide some insight into the depth of availability of genuine Porsche parts despite the car's 30+ year age, and will encompass a lot of key areas of improvement/weakness that many of our air-cooled's are prone to.

Here are a few pics...

Last edited by Jarod964; 01-18-2020 at 12:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fourblades (05-31-2021)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Jarod964
Banned

As mentioned, the car needs some love. Here are a few photos to document the aesthetic blemishes.

Dash warped and pulling up. Aftermarket radio, steering wheel, and many misc. bits here and there date the car.

Fitment

A lot of the aftermarket body panels are actually hot-glued on, as is much of the rubber trim.

Aftermarket 964-style taillights cracked and missing hardware - they like to fall out under hard acceleration.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Jarod964
Banned

First step, we dropped the engine and transmission for a complete rebuild. At time of arrival, the car was leaking due to a poorly-completed previous reseal job and consuming roughly 1qt of oil every 200km. This will all be corrected with a full split-case top & bottom end rebuild.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Jarod964
Banned

With the engine removed for work, we pushed the car into it's new workspace for disassembly. Parts/hardware will be removed, documented, cleaned/restored/replaced as needed, then carefully organized for storage until the car returns from it's paint job. Time to let the teardown begin...

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (03-01-2021)
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

This one’s going to fun to watch.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:42 PM
ab1752
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is for sure going to be awesome to watch! So is every Porsche dealer across Canada participating? I'm in Vancouver and this would certainly get me in the dealer for sure...great car to start on here, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:10 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Originally Posted by ab1752
This is for sure going to be awesome to watch! So is every Porsche dealer across Canada participating? I'm in Vancouver and this would certainly get me in the dealer for sure...great car to start on here, thanks for sharing.
We're looking forward to it. All dealerships in Canada have been given the opportunity to participate, but due to the cost-prohibitive and time consuming nature of the project (and how hard it is to source a good restoration candidate), not everyone will take part. Really excited to see what other dealerships bring to the table - some very talented teams in the running.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:41 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It's ironic, I had an 86 930 between 1995--1998. The craze was to turn them into 964s, with smooth bumpers, speed lines, etc.

i almost did it to mine, but decided not too. I picked up a set of speed lines from a friend, that was it. Unfortunately hurricane Irene came and flooded the car.

I recently got got back into an 89 last year, they are great cars.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Total disassembly in progress. Interior, exterior and engine compartment will be completely stripped, then body/chassis sent for media blasting. All seals, carpeting, windows, etc must come out. After media blasting, the car will be painted it's original 'White Gold Metallic' paint code.

Taillights out and decklid off

Separated the aftermarket fibreglass whale tail from the original factory decklid. "Tea tray" original ducktail will be mounted after paint.

As hardware is removed, we clean, paint and sort for later (or replace as needed).

Seats and floor mats out - the floor is in excellent/solid shape underneath.

Carpeting removed from frunk

Original paint code sticker - yes, we'll be bringing it back to it's factory "white gold metallic" paint.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Another progress update - teardown continues, hopefully ready for media blasting next week.

Body kit removal continues. Lots and lots of glue makes things a little more tricky.

Progress

Rear seats, seat belts, and all leather trim removed

Nice surprise found under the shift boot - WEVO shifter

Door panels and vapour barriers off

Trim/seals removed
Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Pushed the car over into the shop for last stages before paint.

Headlights removed

Windshield pulled out

Cowl in fairly good shape underneath the windshield seals. Can see here how badly warped the dash is...

Door frames and glass out

Old 02-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Jarod964
Banned

The car is almost completely disassembled now, and has been sent off for media blasting at our local Porsche-Certified body shop - Burwell Auto Body in London Ontario. They will remove some remaining parts (like rear window and rear quarter windows, trim, etc.), then mask off anything necessary and begin the blasting process.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jarod964:
heliolps2 (03-01-2021), YellowCalliper (05-09-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 04:30 AM
herragge
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the project! I have seen some builds in Canada dealers thus far and I am biased, but am cheering you guys on most for choosing a 930. Well done and good luck
Old 02-12-2021, 12:21 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts

Any updates on this??
Old 02-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
Any updates on this??
Been wondering the same. Maybe the franchise owner received his first invoice for labor and shelved the project lol.

Quick Reply: 'Porsche Classic Competition' - 1986 930 Restoration Thread