911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Value of a 930 Slant Nose Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 PM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value of a 930 Slant Nose Cabrio

I am looking for a good approximate value of a 1988 Triple Black 930 Slant Nose Cabriolet with 19k miles. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
John
Old 02-04-2004, 12:55 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

just a guess, but depending on condition $33-35k. depends on where you are. you could probably get more in the springtime.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:47 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

More like $40-45K. Extremely low miles. Slant nose (factory or conversion?), cab. Very rare. Thats a $105,000 car.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:25 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, if that's a FACTORY slant nose cab, with ZERO mods, with 19k ORIGINAL miles in CONCOURS condition you're talking a solid $50,000 car without question. No offense to S4 at all but his figure is way off, that's a fairly rare car. What's the asking price?
Old 02-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

zero: Get the VIN. Paterine's "Red Book" says the VIN's ending in CJS050001-0591 are 1988 factory turbo cabriolets (made between Aug 87 and July 1988). Slant nose would be a factory option and there are ways to determine if it was factory or not (do a search on this site - it's been discussed fairly recently, I believe). If it is factory, I agree with OVRSTR, solid $50K if everything checks out.

If it's a conversion slant but still well done by a reputable shop, it could command $45K. See if you can track down either the original sticker or receipts for the conversion.

Perhaps the current owner has a certificate of authenticity (has to be ordered from PCNA) - this would describe how the car left the factory (with or without slant) along with the MSRP.

Good luck.

Let us know.

Dan
Old 02-09-2004, 04:11 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

MAYBE you could get that for one, but these guys have been sitting on this one for a long time:

http://www.calmotorsport.com/detail_user.asp?ID=64

My guess is the market would be more like in the mid-40's. Most people don't care about slants anymore. They don't even know why they were put on 911's because the 935's heyday was before their time. They just look like a 944.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:11 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill

Its a funny thing with the slantnose cars, there is very little interest in them in the UK, I thought it strange when I first visited this site that there was so much hype surrounding them.

From what I have seen the cars are worse less than a standard 911 over here.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Mike Smalley
6th Gear

John,
They are advertising this car as an original Slant cab 930, if it is not, you would have grounds for recourse... I own an 88 slant cab turbo, and paid less than this, and my car has a bit less mileage...
One thing to ask yourself, are you buying the car to try to make money as an investment? It will probably not work out to make you money, and if it does, we are talking long-term. There were very few of these made... which makes them rare, but some people (as seen here) do not really like the slant nose body style.
I purchased mine because I wanted a unique cab turbo, and it fit the bill perfectly, plus, I love the slant body (personal preference).
All original does not help you if the car is to be used for fun, and miles put on... there were alot of upgrades to the 930 that really help make more power, and make the car more reliable when pushed hard. Suspension mods can provide an extensive improvement in safety and performance.
The car I purchased is all original to the eye, except for a light weight 3.8 rear wing, and a roll bar installed (I like the look of the car without the bar, but I like something over my head too...
My car had been owned by an art collector in AZ, who loved to dump money into the car, thus making it a far superior vehicle to the original unit.
One side note: you can call PCNA and find out if the car is an orig. slant, they will tell you over the phone. I have the COA for my car, and bieng a special werks car, they give you the actual roll-off date, and MSRP on the COA, with the options. My other cars do not have this specific info on the COA's, due to bieng rather "normal" cars when manufactured, though they are far from that now.
In the end, I think this price is a tad high for this car, all original or not... maybe if it was an 89 with the 5 speed and last year significance, but it is nor priced outragiously. There are very few to choose from, and if you like BK/BK, and want a slant, well you don't really have too many to choose from.
Good Luck
Mike
Old 02-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Dallas
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard Sloan has a RUF slant nose cab for sale www.sloancars.com.

Dallas
Old 02-13-2004, 09:19 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by pig4bill
MAYBE you could get that for one, but these guys have been sitting on this one for a long time:

http://www.calmotorsport.com/detail_user.asp?ID=64

My guess is the market would be more like in the mid-40's. Most people don't care about slants anymore. They don't even know why they were put on 911's because the 935's heyday was before their time. They just look like a 944.
Did the '88's have a 5-speed as advertised above? Or maybe a typo?

I love the slant nose look. Always have since I was younger. Just seems to make it look faster.

Just my .02
Old 02-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Mike Smalley
6th Gear

The 5 speed came out in 1989, and was a beefed up trans. Previous Porsche used the 4 speed because it was stronger. I have been told that a 930 with a Ruf 5 speed can drive like it has alot more power than a 4 speed, but the 4 speed is alot of fun... second gear is unreal.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by A930Rocket
Did the '88's have a 5-speed as advertised above? Or maybe a typo?

I love the slant nose look. Always have since I was younger. Just seems to make it look faster.

Just my .02
If I had to guess, I would say it's an ad copy mistake. They are not very diligent with that sort of thing at this particular place. BTW, I have seen that car, and it has metal fenders, and they say it's an original. I think their price is way too high, even for a cab. Coupe slant-noses are generally available for under $40k these days. They do a lot of consignment business, so that may explain the price.

Quick Reply: Value of a 930 Slant Nose Cabrio