911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Post Purchase Inspection Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 12:27 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Post Purchase Inspection Mystery

After I bought the car last fall I found out the mechanic who did the PPI had worked on the car for the previous owner. So now 3 months later, I finally got it to a reputable shop in my area and had them do a post purchase inspection. I plan on Doing DE's with the car and i wanted an unbiased detailed inspection of the car so I could feel safe and confident that there were no gremlins.

I was a bit nervous to say the least at what they might find. Well, I got lucky. Nothing major was found. The car has a salvage title, but was a theft recovery with little damage. The owner said it had never been painted...it had. He said it had no bodywork...it had a little. However all were done to the highest level of expertise. My mechanic was impressed with the work and not concerned in the least. The repairs were made prior to the previous owner getting it, so he probably was unaware as well.

Compression checked out fine as well #1) 125 #2) 125 #) 130 #4) 125 #5) 125 #6) 125

So overall the mechanic felt it was a very good car and felt like I had found a car that was very well taken care of.

HOWEVER there is one mystery he could not figure out. He could tell that the intake had been removed at one point. Inside and throughout the intake track he found small metal flakes. No idea where they came from. They used a boroscope and checked out the turbo impellars and all other items, but found nothing. he thought maybe the intake was removed, while someone was in a garage bay next to the car doing some grinding. He did not feel that it was dangerous, but it was a mystery.
the flakes could be found in the fuel meter, air tubes, BOV, air horn and box, compressor side of turbo pipes and intercooler. There was no sign of damage to compressor impreller, shaft, bearing or turbo housing noted. They cleaned out most of it and I will keep an eye on it. Anybody have any ideas???

thanks.
-Kirk
Old 02-13-2004, 09:24 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No idea on the flakes, but good luck with it.

Did you know it was a salvage title car? Did the price reflect it?

Just wondering...
Old 02-15-2004, 04:59 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Yes and Yes. Not concerned. Plan on having this car 10+ years and am not looking at it as an investment.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Kirk:

I would suggest that the oil filter be cut open with a filter cutter(never use a hack saw) and spread the paper out for inspection with a magnet.

That might show if any metallic trash went through the motor.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:12 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Thanks Steve, I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Post Purchase Inspection Mystery