911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Show Your Turbo Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Sameer, thank you, same goes to you and all others!

My car's mods are the "typical", 1 bar boost spring, custom K27/29, modified fuel head, B&B complete headers and exhaust system, (flowed?) heads, RS flywheel, clucth, Gruppe B Evo cams, H&R suspension etc.. + 993 TT 4WD gearbox and brakes. 400hp RWHP

I am moving to EFI now, aiming for >500 hp @ 1 bar hopefully if I can find a tuner who would sell me the complete transformation KIt from the US (manifold 3.2 carrera etc..). I am in contact with a Rennlist sponsor and hoping to get his help on my project.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally posted by OPTIMO
Thanks for the info and the picture of the beautiful car. I'm really weighing all my options right now. I'm slowly coming around to purchasing a Porsche built for the track (but street legal) and a 930 is in my budget. I'm really torn between the 993 C2S and a nicely modded 930 - both are around the some $$$.

I think the 965 T is the perfect compromise for me but it's a bit too expensive for me, at least at the moment. I'm thinking about holding off until I have enough to make it in my range because I really like the updated suspension/look yet still retaining some rawness that the 930 has (scare factor).

Add saving for a P-car to saving for a wedding, ring, house down payment (hopefully stock will help me out here) and you have someone living off of PB&J sandwhiches. It doesn't help that I'm wrapping up payments on my Bimmer either.

Beautiful pictures guys.

I thoroughly understand.

My wife points to the car and says how do you like my new kitchen. I was lucky enough to have another Pcar I sold towards this one and it has helped in the justification process. I have a 914 I restored for her thats going on Ebay soon. She says ones the limit. There is no true justification for these cars other than "you gotta have it". So do it when you can otherwise there will always be something else that the money goes towards.

I have been looking at these cars, first for myself, and then with other people interested in 930's and 3.6 turbos for over a year. Unless you plan on keeping the car for a long time I recommend the 930 for budget and pure fun. A nice 91-92 965 is great if you can stretch the budget. The 3.6's are steadily going up in price. Not everyone is getting what their asking, but I have seen some cars go for crazy money. The 3.6 is a great car but rather docile in comparison to the 930's. It still has all the punch and power but drives like any 911 if you decide not to call upon the boost.

Good luck with all the family stuff. Keep your eyes open and one day the right car will be there waiting for you to snag her up. Save the money on the side and have it ready for when the time comes.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Jean she truly is a beauty,

Could you give us your opinion on the RS flywheel and Group B cams.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Anthony Thank you.

I had not driven a stock 964 3.6 T before I bought mine, therefore I cannot really give you a fair opinion. It is quite faster than the 993TT, starting 3500 up to 5500RPMs it is a beast and very hard to control coming out of a turn (with MSCs), this might be the cams at work. As a reference it goes neck to neck with the 996 GT2 and Roock 540 up to 140mph (haven't tried faster). Concerning the flywheel, I have no issues with the idle whatsoever..Hope it helps.

Jean
Old 02-10-2004, 01:36 PM
SteveMB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of my baby. It's an '85 grey market car. Had it for about 1-1/2 years. The only mods I've done so far is a 1 bar boost spring, 930S front spoiler and a 3-1/2" muffler. I had to change some oil lines, replace wheel bearings and fix a few other minor mechanical issues. Cosmetics is on the list now.

Great list guys... I appreciate all the info.

Steve B.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

I've been having this dilema weather to change the colour of my car from guards red to black. I just love black and yours is truely a beauty.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:32 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Originally posted by cobalt
Unless you plan on keeping the car for a long time I recommend the 930 for budget and pure fun.
Why would you not recommend the 930 to keep for a long time (that is my intention: 10 years easy)?

Just curious - maybe there is something I am overlooking.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sold this one last August to buy my C4S
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by OPTIMO
Why would you not recommend the 930 to keep for a long time (that is my intention: 10 years easy)?

Just curious - maybe there is something I am overlooking.
Sorry for that. I didn't complete or convey my thought.

The 3.6 in the US currently appears to be increasing in value. (don't know about the ROW market) Who know how long it will last or how far it will go but because only 466 US examples were made they seem to be commanding a premium over what they were selling for just a year ago. Therefore I was saying if you don't have the extra to spend on a 3.6, because of the screwy market I would by a 930 for a more reasonable price and get quite a bang for your buck. There is no way of knowing what any of these cars will be worth in ten years.

I kept my last Pcar for 19 years and sold it for more than double what I paid for it. Whatever car you chose is the right car as long as you still smile when you press down on that pedal.

That is one nice thing about quality, it is timeless.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I tend to go by this rule of thumb:

An extremely well cared for 911 Turbo of any vintage will usually hold value as well as any car and ultimately sell itself when the need arises. There may be market fluctuations in any given short-term period of 1-3 years where prices rise or fall based on the economy, but over the long haul they do very well. Some production runs of 911Ts may outperform other 911Ts in the marketplace.

Most cars depreciate 47-50% after 36-42 months of being sold new (given a little high or low). I still paid almost half the sticker on mine 15yrs later. Thats outperforming the general car market by 5 fold. You can get 928s of the same year for 50% less than a 930/964 and they were almost tooth and nail the same sticker price. Is the 930/964 that much better? 928s are a hell of a car. I really think appearance is reflected in 50% of the price of these babies. Hell I paid it. We all did. You cant tell me though the price of these babies isnt to a sizeable degree because of romance, looks, and panache. And thats my point. That stuff never fades completely, even when the market goes kaplooey.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:36 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by cobalt
Sorry for that. I didn't complete or convey my thought.

The 3.6 in the US currently appears to be increasing in value. (don't know about the ROW market) Who know how long it will last or how far it will go but because only 466 US examples were made they seem to be commanding a premium over what they were selling for just a year ago. Therefore I was saying if you don't have the extra to spend on a 3.6, because of the screwy market I would by a 930 for a more reasonable price and get quite a bang for your buck. There is no way of knowing what any of these cars will be worth in ten years.

I kept my last Pcar for 19 years and sold it for more than double what I paid for it. Whatever car you chose is the right car as long as you still smile when you press down on that pedal.

That is one nice thing about quality, it is timeless.
Anthony,

the same story about prices rising applies on this side of the pond as well, especially so for right-hand-drive ones (the rarest of the 3,6's). If you can find any for sale, that is!

However, to my eyes, every single 911 turbo of any vintage is a truly special and timeless car, commanding respect, admiration and attention wherever and whenever one appears anywhere - very unlike today's Boxters and 996's. The smile they bring to the driver's/owner's face, the rush and adrenaline out of driving them, the pride of ownership, pure satisfaction out of washing / waxing over those rear fenders or even just looking at the damn things, cannot be described with words and just cannot be repeated with any other car/model.

I had a friend's Ferrari 360 Spyder for a few days in London/UK last year and recall how dissapointed I was - I really couldn't wait to get back in my turbo, to feel that solidity, hear the whailing noise of my flat six, get that kicl in the back while accelerating.. Simply awesome!

Best moment was during a Porsche Club event up in the mountains a few months ago, when I was street racing with my best friend's '01 GT3 who simply just couldn't get away from me and as soon as we reached our lunch destination -with all other participants arriving after a while- my turbo 3,6 was the centre af the attention by everyone (being the only 965 turbo 3,6 on the island it usually does does cause a stir at every Porsche gathering)!

Nothing else gets as many votes from me as a 911 turbo. I'm forever smitten and definitely obsessed with the Ultimate supercar.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 02-11-2004, 04:56 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine, which you've probably seen on the rennlist before:

Old 02-12-2004, 12:03 AM
ZLP

Here is mine

Last edited by ZLP; 02-12-2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's just my wheel for now

Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 AM
ZLP

Another

Quick Reply: Show Your Turbo Here