911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Turbo cool-down question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:41 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Turbo cool-down question.

Maybe I am being too paranoid, but I am letting the car cool down for 2 minutes each time before shutting it off. While that is not a lot of time, it makes life difficult in a variety of scenarios. A turbo timer would be a great convenience feature for me.

Also, do I really to need to let it idle for 2 minutes everytime I shut down? Running around town doing errands it seems like overkill if I have not been on the boost hard....yet. Idling at a gas pump for 2 minutes also just strange.

In my Audi S4 (biturbo) I only let it idle for a minute or two after a hard run. Probably apples to oranges I know, but I would love some advice/guidelines to follow to both preserve the turbo and my sanity. If it's two minutes every time, then so be it. Just curious.

Also, can anyone recommend an aftermarket alarm with a good immobilizer function? I know alarms do not work, but if I can find one with a good engine kill switch and a two-way transmitter to notify me of the alarm going off, I will be happy. I have heard that the Aladdin a-2000 and the Boomerang alarm also have integrated turbo timers. Any suggestions on a turbo timer or an alarm?

Thanks in advance to answers on either of these two issues.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relax, you only need to let it cool down for approx. 2 min. if you just got on it. Otherewise if your just motoring around town (off boost) for at least 2 min. since the last time you were on boost then you can just shut the car down. That's what I do,

Brent
Old 12-03-2003, 04:02 PM
turbopop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Brent930. 2 minutes would only be necessary if you ran it hard , then went to your parking spot and wanted to shut it down.
Like after a lap on the track or at an autocross.
Otherwise after normal driving, I would just idle it for a few seconds before shut down.
Probably the same degree of care you would take with your S4.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:18 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:13 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Is a turbo timer an unnecessary precaution?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Not if your really bad about letting your car run for 2 min. everytime you get on it and then need to stop and get out of your car. Never owned one and sure you could just turn it off if you don't need it that time. Then again if you forget to turn it back on when you do and forget to let it run then oh well. I guess you just need to ask yourself what kind of memory you have...lol Personally I just got in the habbit of letting it run if I was on it shortly before stopping. It's just one more piece of electronics to junk up your car IMHO.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with the rest of the crew. Only after running her hard do you need to let her cool her jets! Other wise, a few seconds and she is good to go. I even let me diesel truck cool after running it hard as well. It is an excellent practice for all turbos. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 12-15-2003, 02:11 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

You guys are a turbo mans favorite customer! 2 minutes boys, and yes at the fuel pumps. Look at the bright side, if you trash your turbine wheel, its cheaper to buy a new turbo. Unless you drive like "grandpa" , 2 minutes is cheap insurance.....

Quick Reply: Turbo cool-down question.