Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing paint from Fuchs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Homegrown
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. I think shipping is out of question course Sweden is Transatlantic (northen europe).
And i think its give me great satishfaction if I will accomplish this by mye self
Old 11-21-2003, 10:15 PM
lightning
Advanced

Shipping from Sweden to the states might turn out to be really expensive. I asked the company Wheel enhancement on two 9*16 and they told me "Plan on spending about $200.00 to ship the two wheels to Sweden". There is good companies that will perform this kind of polish and painting as well.

BTW nice wheels Jeremy!

/A
Old 11-21-2003, 10:18 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

About $300 to polish all four wheels and hand painted crests - about 60 to ship from Florida to California - Was worth me not busting my knuckles over!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:19 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Oh, and thank you - I try and take good care of them!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have an old set of Fuchs that need to be refurbished ... the previous owner didn't take great care of them. The painting part seems relatively straight forward, but does anyone have tips on polishing the aluminum?
Old 11-23-2003, 12:10 AM
rs911t
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but does anyone have tips on polishing the aluminum?
Yep. Send'em to someone, like Al Reed. You won't be disappointed and you will save a significant portion of your life for enjoyable activities.

Old 11-23-2003, 03:54 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

The problem is that these wheels are anodized from the factory. This is NOT paint. It is an electrochemical process that roughens the surface significantly on the microscopic scale. Then there is dye brought in to dye it black. (We all know of other colors of anodized aluminum, it can even be just matte Al color).

Anyway, what I am getting to is that you may not be able to remove the last layer of 'paint', because it ain't paint.

To do a proper restoration, you have to have the wheels re-anodized. No clue who does that in Europe.

The cheap thing to do may be to media blast them carefully, polish them where you want them polished and paint the rest flat black.

HTH, George
Old 11-23-2003, 06:58 AM
lightning
Advanced

Dear George,

That is not all together right in the case with Fuchs. The anodizing method used on Fuchs is something that is called "clear anodizing" and it's surface something that almost look like platinum, in fact I think it contains platinum. This layer is then polished to get the surface that you can see on the "lip" The black area is painted on top of the unpolished anodized surface wit´h paint. You can rip the paint off, very difficult though, and look at the anodized surface. There is a process where you can "dye" the anod but not in this case though. To get rid of the anodized surface, that is less than 0.50 mm thin, you can either use some kind of lye or simply polish it away. Either way it will take some skills, hard work and bloody knuckles and you probably will be better off sending them away.

Best regards
Anders
Old 11-23-2003, 08:34 AM
lightning
Advanced

One more comment. Anodizing the done with dye can be performed in most town but companies who performs clear anodizing is more difficult to find. There is one company in Germany though that specializes in clear anodizing on Fuchs http://www.felgen-service.de/

Best regards
Anders
Old 11-23-2003, 10:04 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Look on here and Pelican parts site - many tech articles and resources for the do it yourselfer.I saw a thread a few weeks ago about someone who sent them off for media blast - then did a polish and clear coat on their own.

One reason the easy off oven cleaner works - is the lye in it.

Quick Reply: Removing paint from Fuchs?