Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1979 911 No Power to new fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:14 PM
porcomar
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 911 No Power to new fuel pump

I'm not getting power to the new fuel pump I just changed. Turned key half way and no noise what so ever. Any advise would be great. Been working on a solution for over a month or more.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Check relay.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 AM
porcomar
AutoX

Had mechanic come over and wiggled the relay and heard the pump working. It was turning and than locked up on us. Were going to remove the sparks plugs today to release the gas and turn it by hand. Any advice would be great.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:29 AM
prschmn
Instructor

Burned-dirty relay-fuse box connections are common but if the engine hydrolocked while
cranking you've got a major leakage issue. probably best to start with a pressure test
and find out why.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

okay everyone step off a second and lets back up ...

the pump is not supposed to run with ignition on .. if its a 79 with standard CIS and safety switch .

you should put the ignition on go around back , take out the air filter , reach under and lift the air plate. THEN you should hear the pump run , be aware however when doing this you are running the injectors.

its a 79 so it has nylon fuel lines which makes this easy,, pull out all the injectors place them in containers ( I just pull mine with a get of vice grips, they pop right out ) I put them in an old plastic ice cream tub ( I like ice cream ) then turn on the ignition , lift the air plate at back and let them run and do your fuel pump/ relay testing.

if the sound is confusing you unplug your cdi ( many people confuse the sound of the cdi with the sound of the fuel pump ) .

if you replaced the fuel pump let it run for a bit to let the air purge out of the fuel lines and pump.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM
porcomar
AutoX

1979 911 .Finally got the car to crank over. My friend tried running the old fuel out of the system. Gas came out of the pipe and finally started. The problem is we think there is too much gas being shot out. We are trying to see what to do to keep the car running. Kept the foot to the floor and would start after about 10-15 seconds, sometimnes longer. Reved the engine to under 4000 rpm to keep car running but would shut off after about 11-15 seconds. Will try a pressure test and my friend was going to check the cold start. Will change oil after we get the car running.

Any help would be a appreciated.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:16 AM
porcomar
AutoX

Switched red relay with the horn relay and both worked vice versa. Red Relay seems to be working.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 AM
prschmn
Instructor

At least you got it to start but---
I believe I answered you much as Ice has on that other forum and you really should be doing the tests as he advised before you try to run the engine more lest you mess up your rings or anything else before you go any further. Please let us know how things progress-I think with testing your
problem will not be hard to find.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

porcomar please stop sending me messages on my visitors forum . I am glad to help, please just place messages here and we will see them.

ok a few points.

if you really do think your fuel system is the issue it should be cleaned and flushed, new fuel filter check screens etc.

Sounds like you definitely need to do some basic CIS testing to find out what the trouble is rather than have us guess for you .

if the car runs then dies after 15 seconds then your issue is not the CSV ( cold start valve) . you are choking off your fuel supply or your pressure regulator is shot ( WUR ) . If you have to put your foot on the floor to get it to start you definitely have issues as you should not touch CIS at all. You also at this point want to check the air box for leaks and cracks as you may have a blown airbox and unmetered air is getting in the system.
but if you have a set of cis gauges start there .. see if your fuel pump is giving you good system pressure. then check for control pressure and finally residual pressure.

Quick Reply: 1979 911 No Power to new fuel pump