sunroof present but not on COA - mistake or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:49 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default sunroof present but not on COA - mistake or aftermarket

Hi there everyone

Currently considering a 911T which has a sunroof. After a brief chat with the owner, it emerged that the sunroof is not on the Certificate of Authenticity. He was a little uncertain as to whether it was a mistake on the COA or something retro-fit.

I know the best thing is to have a look for myself and a bit of a poke around but the car is some distance away.

A few questions:

1. Is there any chance the COA was wrong?
2. What should I look for tell the difference between a factory job (or at least a decent retro fit) and something which isn't really done well and will cause me grief somewhere down the line?
3. Will the presence of a sunroof but no sunroof on the COA put potential buyers off and in some way lessen the value of the car?

Any ideas?

Phil
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2016, 02:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I thought it was standard
The Coa would show "sunroof delete" if chosen
Not 100 % Though.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

COAs are highly inaccurate

post pics of the drains and rails...
Old 11-06-2016, 06:20 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

I have an '87 so I don't know how options are listed on CoAs over the years or on the option code sticker (under side of front hood). I have a sunroof, it is listed on the CoA as optional equipment, electric sliding roof and on the option code sticker as 650
Old 11-07-2016, 09:05 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Good catch on the COA, and IMO getting to know more Porche folks the last 7 years many will pick apart anything they can find especially when you go to sell so at least having a legit response will help you.
Good luck.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

This Car and Driver review of a 1986 911 Turbo says the sunroof was standard:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...erplant-page-2

But this German price list shows a sunroof to be a 2,130 DM option in 1985. I can see it being an option in ROW and standard for USA models, though.
http://www.turbosition.com/_files/br...uebersicht.pdf

Mark
Old 11-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The COA Can Be Wrong

Originally Posted by overthehorizon
Currently considering a 911T which has a sunroof. After a brief chat with the owner, it emerged that the sunroof is not on the Certificate of Authenticity. He was a little uncertain as to whether it was a mistake on the COA or something retro-fit.

1. Is there any chance the COA was wrong? ....

Yes, the first Certificate of Authenticity (COA) that PCNA sent us for my spouse's 1978 911SC, identified it as a "1979", but with the correct VIN. We sent the COA back and pointed out that the car was a 1978, and that the VIN confirmed that fact. PCNA issued and sent us a new COA wih the correct model year on it.

On earlier model 911s (1969 to 1983), the sunroof was an option. There maybe a couple of exceptions in the early 1980s as to special editions, for example the Weissach Limited Edition 911SC, which had as standard equipment -- otherwise optional equipment items as the power sunroof, whale-tail spoiler, front rubber spoiler, etc., all of which came with Code M439. Both of our 1978s list the "Power Sunroof" as optional equipment in a separate list on the COA, but the order code is not given.

The COA for our 2012 997.2 does not list certain equipment options, i.e., as Bose Sound Equipment, and SportDesign Steering Wheel, as those items were standard on a particular special edition, which our 2012 car is.

In looking at the photo of the 911T's sunroof, it appears the felt surround on the outer perimeter of the sunroof is missing. That replaceable felt surround comes in two parts, and is glued to the body (one part) and sunroof (one part), but that is not necessarily indicative of a sunroof top section replacement.

The interior white headliner (which looks new, as it appears not yellowed) has the correct rear zipper access (parallel to the top of the rear window) to the electric sunroof motor, and its manual rewind slot if the motor should fail. If the headliner is new, someone did a really nice job of installation.

Where is the black rocker switch for the power sunroof? It should be above the key ignition switch on the left underside of the instrument cluster.

For one, if this Long Nose is a clean car otherwise, and passes a PPI, a top section with a working power sunroof replacement on a non-sunroof car would not concern me, and only at a National PCA level concours would the car lose points for originality with the addition of a sunroof. If you have concerns as to long term value, use this missing COA item as a negotiation point for a lower price.

Good Luck as to this 911T.

Last edited by Type 2; 11-07-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-07-2016, 05:43 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice guys

The sunroof is a bonus for me personally as I like the feel of sun in a car - I just wanted to see if anyone's alarm bells were going off.

I'll just have to inspect it well for function.

Cheers again
Old 11-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COA have always been inaccurate. At one point if you called Atlanta and told them there was a mistake they created a new one for you.

There were some pretty creative Porsches created by these "mistakes"

Richard Newton
Weight Balancing a 911
Old 11-09-2016, 10:03 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

S/R are pretty rare on the early 911's. As others have said the COA's can be a joke. It is also possible that roof was replaced.

Phil

Quick Reply: sunroof present but not on COA - mistake or aftermarket