Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:22 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The look of things to come:

Engine together again, fan and shroud painted, engine components re-plated.
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2016, 03:26 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whilst at the bodyshop we gave up on trying to fix the poor quarter/sill to door alignment with the existing (previously replaced) panels and bought new ones. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and accept that you can't spend days attempting to fix someone else's mistakes when it is easier and better to start again.
Attached Images   
Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

993 engine going together showing off all the refinished components. We originally intended to fit RS camshafts which were on order from Porsche, hence the partial build waiting on their delivery.

New rear quarter and sill fitted, finally we are happy with the alignment and gaps all around the door. Inner arches were bare metalled after discovering a poor bond between previous layers of paint. Final quarter to door to wing to bonnet gaps all checked and approved, now time for detail fabrication and fitting of the bumpers.
Attached Images           
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The spec of the transmission is another reason why we chose the SC as the perfect donor since many years ago I had fitted a 3.2 Carrera oil cooled 915 gearbox with LSD.

Whilst the 'box was still working perfectly we decided to do a quick inspection strip to make sure everything looked in serviceable condition; all we found was a worn cage in the pinion roller bearing allowing the rollers to fall out and some slight wear on the 1/2/3/4 syncro rings. These were all were replaced, of course.
Attached Images    
Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Let the painting begin. First coat, etch primer on the bare metal.
Attached Images    
Old 10-05-2016, 07:51 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now ordinarily a typical 9m build thread would follow the paint process through spray sealer, primer (x3), flatting off, masking, painting the base & lacquer coats before machine polishing the whole shell. Now I know that this is interesting to some, but as I have posted several threads covering full paint builds (and judging by the lack of feedback on this one) instead I'm posting a photo summary of what followed next from images captured on my iPhone whilst dropping in an out at the body shop. Sorry for the huge corner cut.
Attached Images             
Old 10-05-2016, 08:34 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

re: comments

I appreciate your posting these -- and you do have 800+ views
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I appreciate your comments. I will post a lot more paint photos on the Regeneration thread, could not see the point in doing the same on both.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the spectacular result of the months of hard work by our team:
Attached Images        
Old 10-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, i really love these build threads. It would be a dream to start with a shell and make it perfect. Of course, all that takes is money, right?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:25 AM
AVI_8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Colin,
You mentioned earlier that you were fitting 9M Cams and valve springs, are these cams ones you've had made to your own specs?
Can they be fitted to an otherwise standard engine (964) in my case and how much extra power would they make and I know you don't get owt for nowt do they affect the bottom end torque much?

Excellent rebuild threads, some major craftsmanship going on there!
Logan
Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AVI_8
Hi Colin,
You mentioned earlier that you were fitting 9M Cams and valve springs, are these cams ones you've had made to your own specs?
Can they be fitted to an otherwise standard engine (964) in my case and how much extra power would they make and I know you don't get owt for nowt do they affect the bottom end torque much?

Excellent rebuild threads, some major craftsmanship going on there!
Logan
Hi Logan, thanks for the thumbs up.

You raise an interesting point regarding the 9m cams and their suitability for the 964 & 993 engines, or more importantly the 964 & 993 engine management systems. Obviously this is a key interest of mine which I could rattle on about for pages, so will try to keep the thread on tack by keeping this brief.
The 9m Sport (and other similar) camshafts will fit and run in both engines with all factory intakes and exhausts. The only issue is the engine management system. In my experience you cannot remap the 964 Motronic to run a modified cam successfully, whereas you can remap a 993 Motronic. Part of the reason for this difference are the fuel injectors, the 964 on their limit at 300hp, the 993 having capacity to run up to 360hp, other aspects include the air flow metering difference as well as the resolution (accuracy) of the main fuel tables. Furthermore I also think you are wasting your time converting a 964 to run MAF unless you upgrade to the complete 993 system, hence why we specify a Motec upgrade as the first stage to modifying a 964 engine, whereas with the 993 we recommend the cams with a remap.

The engine for this 9m11RS is a 99n non-Varioram which we originally intended to fit 993RS cams on stock hydraulic followers, however supply issues of the factory RS cams pushed us into using the 9m Sport cams with spring set and mechanical rockers.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

wow .. just wow !! . the only thing that crosses my mind is that this must be an unbelievably expensive project, and its not like you started with a wreck , it was already a very nice car that was worth some good bucks !!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by theiceman
wow .. just wow !! . the only thing that crosses my mind is that this must be an unbelievably expensive project, and its not like you started with a wreck , it was already a very nice car that was worth some good bucks !!
Well, whilst it's certainly not a cheap undertaking to reconstruct any 911 to this degree, including the donor SC the finished project will cost approximately 1/3 of the price of a Singer 911, so I guess the value of the result is all relative from where you look at it from? From my perspective for a perfect, bespoke build, all-steel 911 with the performance and handling to complement its classic look I think it's great value for money. Does anyone agree with me?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chassis, fuel tank and oil system components naturally did not escape the attention of the bodyshop:
Attached Images      
Old 10-07-2016, 01:14 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Let the assembly begin.....

Start point is the absolute hardest job in any old 911 - installing and connecting the wiring harness. Whilst the wiring diagrams tell the story, all the boys can say is thank goodness for the photos that were taken as the car came apart!
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 9m11RS Part 2: Metamorphosis