Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you tell him wide is going to be too loud? :P
Old 10-20-2016, 03:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 192 Likes on 95 Posts

The inside is also receiving a lot of love and care including a new thick pile carpet set in factory material, courtesy of our friend Dave at Southbound. As ever, fits like a glove, perfect. The ubiquitous Momo Prototipo steering wheel with super hard to find black/silver horn push (sourced from MrFiat through eBay USA...) gives the business side a lovely retro feel; floor mounted tempostat heater controller retained (it works, so why not?) along with the original Gemballa pedal set which I remember fitting to this car in my driveway around 20 years ago - that makes me feel old! The pedals do complement the anodised spokes of the steering wheel, so whilst not entirely retro I do like them.
Attached Images      
Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Would seem rude not to give this a try, no?

I'll give you a report later on how the installation sounded.
Attached Images    
Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 AM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin, love your builds and got so exited about this one that I have spent considerable time to see if I could find a donar car at reasonable money only to find that they seem to start at €40-50k

A 993 engine with some 9M tuning this will surely be a fun hot rod to drive
Do you know the weight and expected hp/kg?

My vote is for wide as narrow is too modern for me (think 997,991 GT3RS)

/9MRSCS
Old 10-21-2016, 07:30 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9MRSCS
Colin, love your builds and got so exited about this one that I have spent considerable time to see if I could find a donar car at reasonable money only to find that they seem to start at €40-50k

A 993 engine with some 9M tuning this will surely be a fun hot rod to drive
Do you know the weight and expected hp/kg?

My vote is for wide as narrow is too modern for me (think 997,991 GT3RS)

/9MRSCS
Thanks, J, glad that you (and everyone else) is enjoying the thread. I have to say that this build has been one the most intensive to date, not in terms of complexity (the Gulf Blue 9m11RS-R build takes that prize) but in terms of consideration, planning and attention to detail throughout the fabrication, paint and build process. With the company geared up correctly we have really started to get a grip on large project jobs and with this 9m11RS and the Riviera Blue 9m93 Speedster S #5 the boys have excelled themselves. I'm very proud to say that these are definitely the best cars we have ever built.

Of course it all comes at a price, although if you want perfection and that attention to detail there is no other alternative, other than a Singer perhaps - but that raises another question. What would you rather have, a 9m11RS, 9m64RS and 9m93RS collection or one Singer 911?

Last edited by NineMeister; 10-21-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:52 AM
RSCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are lucky enough you can have a 993 with a 9m+2 that sounds absolutely fantastic and goes like a 'cut cat'
Old 10-21-2016, 01:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RSCS
If you are lucky enough you can have a 993 with a 9m+2 that sounds absolutely fantastic and goes like a 'cut cat'
Hi M, so glad to hear that the Clubsport is delivering the goods with the 9m engine in the back!

The engine in the 9m11RS is a 9m 993+1 with cams only. Will be held back a fraction from using 3.2 heat exchangers but we do expect it to make this lightweight very lively indeed.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:12 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are a few photos from the underside, taken whilst Rob was finishing the assembly by fitting the rear anti-roll bar. Aside from the finish, Boxster from caliper upgrade and fan assisted front oil cooler are the items of note.
Attached Images           
Old 10-24-2016, 03:08 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Love your work ..................
Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quick mention for the wheels & tyres. Whilst 15" Fuchs would be the obvious choice for a 911RS replica, due to the expected turbo performance of the 9m 993 engine we decided to go for 16" turbo combination of 7" & 9" x 16" which are pretty much the largest wheels that will fit under and fill the Carrera arches. That's where the fun started, because in spite of searching high and low for a suitably near-perfect set of genuine Fuchs to restore to RS specification we came up with nought, hence the 11th hour decision was to change track and buy new replicas. After looking at many options we've selected the lightweight Braid BZ RSR Competition wheels in the same offsets as the original 930 Fuchs wheels and would also provide additional brake caliper clearance should we ever decide to further upgrade the brakes past the chosen Boxster set up.

Then it came to tyres. Believe it or not, when you want a matched set of N rated 16" in 205/55 and 245/45 there is remarkably little choice so ended up with Continental Sport Contact 2's which have a suitably stiff sidewall for sharp handling. I'm confident they will be a good choice - so much so that I also bought a set for my 993 engine'd G50 Carrera as well.
Attached Images     
Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Complementing the body colour of Porsche Dolomite Grey is the dark red & black leather trim. We all thought that all red would have been too much, hence the red leather is being used for the mid sections only including the centre dash, door cards, rear side and bulkhead lower sections and the seats. The red is actually slightly darker than it appears in the photos.

The speakers have been updated with modern JBL drivers. The dual cone door speakers are hidden behind the very retro covers, rigidly mounted directly onto the metal door panel. The rears are a similar story, panel mounted oval units covered with new clip-over 993 speaker covers.
Attached Images        
Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As ever, the devil is in the details:

Rob assembled the left door trim whilst Andy tackled the bumpers. The factory steel bumpers took an age to get straight and true in the paint shop, hence why Andy is being super careful re-bending the aluminium trim sections to fit correctly whilst avoiding marking the paint. Would you believe that each rear side trim took 3 hours to re-work and assemble? The rear end caused us an issue in that UK legislation demands that a 1982 car runs a rear fog light, but where do you put one on a 1973 bumper where it would not look out of place? Answer is that you build them into the factory rear reflectors.....
Attached Images        
Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 445 Likes on 264 Posts

Big fan of this project.

Very clean integration of the unfortunately mandated rear fog lights.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Big fan of this project.

Very clean integration of the unfortunately mandated rear fog lights.
Thanks, glad that you are enjoying the process.

Technically the fog lights should be slightly further away from the rear light according to legislation, however given that the popular alternative is to fit a temporary light and remove it I think we have the more acceptable solution.

Quick Reply: 9m11RS Part 2: Metamorphosis