Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't know but his head looks photoshopped on some other dude's body
Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by r911
That looks like Jack Olsen's father
It is Jack. All the rest of you don't know Jack.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:43 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Petrol Blue with cork is an awesome color combination. The Petrol Blue will look bright blue, purple, and dark blue all at the same time.

My all time favorite Porsche color...... Especially on a 930!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:03 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threads being HIJACKED!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:03 AM
09mageec
Racer

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Petrol Blue with cork is an awesome color combination. The Petrol Blue will look bright blue, purple, and dark blue all at the same time.

My all time favorite Porsche color...... Especially on a 930!
Nice to hear! Purple is one of my favorite colors.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:05 AM
09mageec
Racer

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Do you know who's sitting in my car in this picture?
I forget his name, however, he has an incredible long nose Frankenstein car, and an amazing home garage. Petrolicious
Old 09-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Original Paint Petrol Blue 1978 911SC

Originally Posted by 09mageec
How rare is Petrol Blue in the eyes of some of the very seasoned Porsche Vets on this site?
Our 1978 911SC is an original paint Petrol Blue Metallic (Paint Code J2J2, and known as Petro Blu in factory literature) Sunroof Coupe (original except for the 1984 Carrera whale tail and engine lid -- we do have the original Petrol Blue engine lid). To preserve the original paint, the SC was CQuartz about 18 months ago.

In PCA circles and in the Southeast of the US, we know of two other Petrol Blue Metallic cars, both 1979 911SCs, and in Tennessee. We have seen over the last 30+ years, several 1979 930s in Petrol Blue, with both Black interiors and Cork interiors. Our SC, last weekend, was voted People's Choice in a major PCA Concours.

A static 2016 photo of our SC, and an early one of the SC in the Smoky Mountains are attached. And yes, the chrome tirm is original. The Turbo style spats in front of the rear wheel openings are magnetic and removable. Type 2
Attached Images  

Last edited by Type 2; 09-11-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Word correction, deletion
Old 09-10-2016, 12:00 PM
09mageec
Racer

Originally Posted by Type 2
Our 1978 911SC is an original paint Petrol Blue Metallic

Please post more pics of the car!!!! Its gorgeous!

The color is truly growing on me.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:02 PM
09mageec
Racer

As stated before, my paint is pretty shot to say the least.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Paint Correction

Originally Posted by 09mageec

As stated before, my paint is pretty shot to say the least.
With a heavy dew on your Petrol Blue SC, it is hard to evaluate the condition of the paint on the body parts one can see. The engine lid looks like it has been repainted at some point, but then again Petrol Blue can give one different color flashes (hues). The door handle on the passenger side looks like an anodized black one, rather than chrome. The the condition of rubber does not look to be sun burned, but the rubber "smile" in front of the hood opening is the canary in the mine, and it usually will go dry and flaky first.

Petrol Blue paint is a single stage metallic paint (no clear coat) and it will take a lot of abuse. Unless you are seeing undercoat paint in certain areas (i.e., a thin top coat from either over zealous cleaning and polishing, or long term exposure to weather -- the latter usually evident at the top of the fenders, hood, and sunroof top), you may desire to consider a really good detailer, who can work the paint up, and correct it.

Unworked Petrol Blue paint can acquire a light milky white hue around the perimeters of doors, and fenders, but that paint will work out with the proper products, i.e., several applications with mild paint correction products. Just don't go 'atomic' and try to do a paint correction work up in one effort. Eight hundred dollars for a good paint correction is a lot cheaper than Five Thousand Dollar windows out, and rubber off re-paint. Type 2
Old 09-10-2016, 01:11 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Our 1978 911SC is an original paint Petrol Blue Metallic (Paint Code J2J2, and know as Petro Blu in factory literature) Sunroof Coupe (original except for the 1984 Carrera whale tail and engine lid -- we do have the original Petrol Blue engine lid). To preserve the original paint, the SC was CQuartz about 18 months ago.

In PCA circles and in the Southeast of the US, we know of two other Petrol Blue Metallic cars, both 1979 911SCs, and in Tennessee. We have seen over the last 30+ years, several 1979 930s in Petrol Blue, with both Black interiors and Cork interiors. Our SC, last weekend, was voted People's Choice in a major PCA Concours.

A static 2016 photo of our SC, and an early one of the SC in the Smoky Mountains are attached. And yes, the chrome tirm is original. The Turbo style spats in front of the rear wheel openings are magnetic and removable. Type 2
Awesome color
Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM
09mageec
Racer

With a heavy dew on your Petrol Blue SC, it is hard to evaluate the condition of the paint on the body parts one can see. The engine lid looks like it has been repainted at some point, but then again Petrol Blue can give one different color flashes (hues). The door handle on the passenger side looks like an anodized black one, rather than chrome. The the condition of rubber does not look to be sun burned, but the rubber "smile" in front of the hood opening is the canary in the mine, and it usually will go dry and flaky first.

Petrol Blue paint is a single stage metallic paint (no clear coat) and it will take a lot of abuse. Unless you are seeing undercoat paint in certain areas (i.e., a thin top coat from either over zealous cleaning and polishing, or long term exposure to weather -- the latter usually evident at the top of the fenders, hood, and sunroof top), you may desire to consider a really good detailer, who can work the paint up, and correct it.

Unworked Petrol Blue paint can acquire a light milky white hue around the perimeters of doors, and fenders, but that paint will work out with the proper products, i.e., several applications with mild paint correction products. Just don't go 'atomic' and try to do a paint correction work up in one effort. Eight hundred dollars for a good paint correction is a lot cheaper than Five Thousand Dollar windows out, and rubber off re-paint. Type 2

The exposure it has suffered on the roof and left wing is beyond repair. The paint has a porous look to it, and the under coat is visible. I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to paint upkeep, and the restoration of distressed paint. I LOVE detailing my vehicles, its a hobby of mine, but this car will have to be repainted. It's going to be done at Automobile Associates up here in CT, when the time comes. I have been overly assured by many that they will have the car looking like new.

As far as the rubber goes, its actually all shot, very to say the least. in my photo, you can even see the rubber lining around the rear passenger window cracked into separate pieces. That's the cost of leaving a car open to New England elements for almost 4 years I guess. But hey, I got an amazing deal on the car. 90k, chain tensioners done, brand new airbox with pop off flap. The interior and leather is all in very good condition.

For now, the "good paint" left on the car can be worked to uphold a semi polished appearance, but regardless, it's getting a nice to paint job in the near future here. It's earned it in my eyes, and totally deserves that look after 4 long years of neglect haha.

More pics of your PETROL please!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Petrol Blue and cork interior, '79SC...

Here's a pic of my SC that I owned for 4 years, from '94-'98. Great Porsche and a fun driver.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2016, 02:50 PM
09mageec
Racer

Originally Posted by Barn996
Here's a pic of my SC that I owned for 4 years, from '94-'98. Great Porsche and a fun driver.

Thanks for the pic. I remember asking you for more once.

Say, is that a Triumph TR3 I see just to the right of your old 911??
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure. It's a 1960 Austin-Healey MK1, Bug-Eye Sprite. My first car that I bought in 1966 and sold in 1994.

Quick Reply: Petrol Blue Metallic