Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for advice to drive from NH to SoCAL in new to me 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 AM
zsoltsd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice to drive from NH to SoCAL in new to me 87 Carrera

I just bought a car unseen and flying to NH later this month to drive it home across the country. This is my second Carrera, my first one was an 84 which I also bought unseen in Germany for a trip in Europe, then shipped it over.

Back in those days (when I had my 84) I used to be on the old Rennlist mailing list but haven't been much on the forum since I sold the 84 car.

You are probably thinking to yourself that this guys is insane for first of all buying the car unseen and to do such trip, and you're probably right, but nonetheless we (my wife and I) are doing it, which brings me to why I am posting this.

1. I was hoping to get some tips about what might be a nice way to do this trip. We are checking out Boston, so that is really where the trip starts from, and we do want to drive through New Mexico as well, but open to ideas in between.

2. I was wondering if this car might ring the bell for anybody. From what I can tell based on its Carfax, i'ts been around the East Coast block including MA, NJ, SC, WI, VT, NH. If you guys think you recognize it please let me know. I have basically no information about its history.

3. Along the way I would love to meet up some other Porsche guys (or girls) and having some contact info for mechanics enroute would be a very good idea as well.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a pic if the car
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like fun. Maybe plan to spend a night or two in Boston where there are a few good mechanics that can give the car a look before you head west. Sure hope the AC is up to the task! PM for advice on things to do, restaurants, hotels, etc near Boston.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Odurandina has made that trip several times from SoCal to Boston and back in the LS7 powered 968 I finished up for him. He always takes the 80 and says it's flat and boring most of the time with room to go 140 for an hour in places.....he is certifiable though.

.......and love your car.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:30 PM
zsoltsd
Track Day

I think we are going taking the southern route since we want to hit New Mexico, which would be the I-40 instead of the I-80. This not going to be about going fast, we have done that on the Autobahn....

We also wouldn't mind deviating from the route here and there where it's worth to stop along the way, and not just drive non stop. I have done that on other trips, but it's not the plan this time around. Those are the places I was hoping to get some ideas about.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you like fishing? There is a cool rod, reel, and tackle museum in Oklahoma.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 AM
zsoltsd
Track Day

Not really into fishing, but thanks for the idea.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats . . .

1. Have the car go through a short inspection (1 1/2 hr of labor) to make sure it up to the task.

2. Taking the southern route this time of year can be brutal, temperature wise. Buy a small cooler to keep yourself hydrated in the event the A/C doesn't do the job.

3. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:31 PM
zsoltsd
Track Day

Thanks for your response.
A quick inspection is definitely a good idea. The car does have new tires, but I don't know the condition of the brakes, clutch, and I know the AC does not blow cold, do should find an AC guy before heading west. The oil was changed last fall, and the PO only put on a few miles since, so it may not need an oil change. I think I'll have a better feel for the condition once I get to drive it...nonetheless I would like to have some contacts along the way just in case.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by zsoltsd
Thanks for your response.
A quick inspection is definitely a good idea. The car does have new tires, but I don't know the condition of the brakes, clutch, and I know the AC does not blow cold, do should find an AC guy before heading west. The oil was changed last fall, and the PO only put on a few miles since, so it may not need an oil change. I think I'll have a better feel for the condition once I get to drive it...nonetheless I would like to have some contacts along the way just in case.
If you tackle the AC repair in Boston do make sure you keep it original with freon - do NOT change to the new stuff. The old stuff lasts longer. A good Porsche AC shop can clean the system, recharge with freon, but you should replace the dryer before you do that, otherwise it will be a waste.

It definitely needs an oil change. Use Brad Penn 20W50. Get a few extra quarts for the trip. Do not overfill. Keep the level (when very hot) at the mid-range or lower.

I would have a mechanic look carefully at oil lines, fuel lines and fuel rail, and get an extra DME relay and #10 hex wrench with you on the road.

Later you need to to sell those rims and get the original Fuchs.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:44 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What do you know about the car other than carfax? was this a private party or dealer?

Not sure you want to tackle AC in a new city unless you have the ability to stick around. Most shops are not going to carry exactly what you need if you need parts plus good shops are busy all the time. I will tell you this is a strange purchase considering the time of year and the route yu want to travel on a car that has non functioning AC.

My two cents is to have it shipped home and forgo the trip. You could end up hating your purchase really quickly under the circumstances you're forcing it to perform under.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
What do you know about the car other than carfax? was this a private party or dealer?

Not sure you want to tackle AC in a new city unless you have the ability to stick around. Most shops are not going to carry exactly what you need if you need parts plus good shops are busy all the time. I will tell you this is a strange purchase considering the time of year and the route yu want to travel on a car that has non functioning AC.

My two cents is to have it shipped home and forgo the trip. You could end up hating your purchase really quickly under the circumstances you're forcing it to perform under.
I concur. But you and I may be seen as the non-adventurous types.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:21 PM
zsoltsd
Track Day

Well, we're driving, so what I am really trying to accomplish is what I said in my original 3 points in my original post.

In terms of the route, looks like from Boston, we're heading south towards New York > then through Harrisburg > through Virginia > Nashville > Memphis > through Arkansas > Oklahoma City > Albuquerque > Phoenix > San Diego.

Still looking for contact along the way. Anybody? Any shops (in case)?

Thanks guys!
Pls keep it coming.

PS. I originally had the same feeling about the 996 turbo twist wheels, but they grew on me since. They kind of update the car, not to mention I can run 245s in the back and they are real Porsche wheels after all.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

OK. Please post as your trip progresses. It will be fun no matter what.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:38 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
I concur. But you and I may be seen as the non-adventurous types.
I think 12 years in the Marine Corps and 4 combat tours would dispute that assumption. I do believe in preparedness and thorough planning. I wish the OP good luck but that lack of information on the car and the hope that you can find competent support in a timely manner is risky at best.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:41 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zsoltsd
Well, we're driving, so what I am really trying to accomplish is what I said in my original 3 points in my original post.

In terms of the route, looks like from Boston, we're heading south towards New York > then through Harrisburg > through Virginia > Nashville > Memphis > through Arkansas > Oklahoma City > Albuquerque > Phoenix > San Diego.

Still looking for contact along the way. Anybody? Any shops (in case)?

Thanks guys!
Pls keep it coming.

PS. I originally had the same feeling about the 996 turbo twist wheels, but they grew on me since. They kind of update the car, not to mention I can run 245s in the back and they are real Porsche wheels after all.
So you bought it unseen, got it. But, did you at least get a PPI done?

Quick Reply: Looking for advice to drive from NH to SoCAL in new to me 87 Carrera