Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for advice to drive from NH to SoCAL in new to me 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 PM
69-912-SWT
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if I would believe in Carfax for a older car. Not any records were kept back then !! The only time my 87 Targa has left me down was when the clutch slave went out 5 miles from home !! Not many Porsche shops today do AirCooled repairs. Was your other Carrera a Targa ?? On long trips the wind noises though the front seal drives me nuts !! It looks like someone has done some repainting on the Targa Bar. Have you seen under body photos of it ?? Beeing from the Northeast it could have lots of rust from road salt in the winters.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:17 PM
zsoltsd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. My 84 was also a targa. I personally prefer the look of the targa over the cab. I love the shape of curved back window. Also pulling the roof out and re-installing it only takes seconds and I it's pretty easy to stow when it's folded (either in the trunk or stick it behind the seat).

I did not find the roof too loud on my old car, but there is a bit of a wind noise. I guess it depends on how well the roof seals and closes. It gets louder the faster you go. I had mine up to about 260kph in Germany and that's it was LOUD.

I did see some pix of the underside and it appears to be OK. These cars are galvanized since 75 and I find the northern cars are usually in better shape because people only drive them 4-6 months out of the year, and unless you have dedicated snow tires (which most people don't ), most people don't drive them in the winter... then there is the heating system and window defrost etc... This is in contrast of all the southern cars, that can be driven all year round and many are daily drivers as well.

Speaking of winter driving - long story short - one time I got caught in a snow storm in my 84 with summer tires, and it was a nightmare. The car was impossible to steer and it randomly span around with no control or what so ever. I lived in Canada at the time and know how to drive in snow but this was beyond any other car I have experienced.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:44 PM
iwantoneofthose
Cruisin'

how exciting! I did one back in '04 when I was moving back home (once again in '09 but that wasn't in a Porsche)...got AAA?

I met quite a few people on the Pelican BBS (I was way more active there back then)...here's are a few threads with some possible helpful info:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ry-thread.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tains-log.html
Old 09-03-2016, 02:33 AM
Tori
3rd Gear

Did a trip like this 2 years ago when my girl and i flew from CA. to FL. to buy a sight unseen Buick Grand National and drive it home in 4 days.
Have faith, have a good time, and just deal with whatever pops up. It'll make a great story no matter what happens.

We probably got lucky, but didn't have a lick of trouble on our 4,000 mile trip.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:29 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Any trip I take across the county will ALWAYS include Hwy 12 through Utah.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:44 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Personally I am with Force Recon Trojan I have done the coast to coast in a '84 Carrera cab
and '96 TT almost 10 or more years back one without AC the other not so great and if I
wasn't late thirties or mid forties or younger wouldn't attempt it at all .
First yes the Carreras are reasonably bulletproof but to trust a vehicle you just bought without ha being it inspected first ? That's nuts for you and your wife's sake get the thing inspected !
Second the AC when working in those cars is marginal at best don't count on it providing anything more than a warm breeze..
Third lots of little niggling electrical sensors go on 3.2 's if they are suddenly put to task
ie long trips which can have no start issues , mostly crank sensors but what do I know
only had five or six of these years.
Fourth again the AC , I am in Europe presently driving a big arc from Frankfurt to Nice to
Milan and back to Getmany about 2500 kilometers if the AC and the car weren't perfect
I couldn't do it period .
Ship the car and get it prepped right then have your pleasant trip , this way I'd just
asking for trouble , Bert

Last edited by budge96; 09-07-2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: estimated mileage
Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

How about an update from Zsoltsd?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 AM
prschmn
Instructor

The car wound up being shipped from NH to him-it's gonna need some work
Old 09-05-2016, 11:35 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 518 Posts

CONGRTS on your new 911. Very nice looking car for sure.
Have a safe trip.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM
zsoltsd
Track Day

It's been a while since I started this thread, and it took until now to sort things out. Read the article below for the story.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018...rrera-rebuild/

...and a few pictures of the car as is now.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice to drive from NH to SoCAL in new to me 87 Carrera