Euro SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:10 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
So the tail wasnt optional from 78-83?

Did the 1974-1977 Carrera come with a tail?
Correct, that tail was not an option from 78 -83 The tail you have is an 84 - 89 Carrera tail.

74 Carreras had a duck tail, 75's had a choice of duck or whale tail similar to the Turbo Carrera.. and 76 -77 3.0 Carreras also had whale tail style.

78 Turbo's had the "tea tray" tail an SC's had nothing.

Your wheels appear to be BBS from that period.. not an option from Porsche but readily available on the aftermarket during the time.

If I recall.. the black trim became standard in 78 and the chrome or "bright trim" was now the option.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

^
thanks!

Nice to finally know where my decklid and wing came from.
Learning about the 3.0L SC era is good times.

I will keep the wing, but ditch the wheels. I think i will polish the window trim.

Basically the car will slowly start to look like a 3.0 carrera until i ditch the bumpers.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Aero0T2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just came across your thread. That was actually my first car! I owned it between 1998 and 2002.

It came to me with black Fuchs. I upgraded them to 17" Cup 1s (replica for early offset) and the gold BBS that you have were my winter wheels. I sold the car to some mechanics from Newfoundland, and they wanted bottom dollar so I sold the other wheels off seperately.

The Millage is not correct, the previous owner replaced the speedometer, which I believe he said was in MPH. I think it had about 80k km more on it.

The owner before me bought it as his company car, and had the car bare-to-metal repainted. It already had the 80' Carerra tail on it when I bought it, and he had removed the Smog pump required for California emissions. The only upgrade I did except for the JVC CD player head unit, door speakers and Clifford alarm, was to put in euro headlights and a short-shift kit with leather a 930 shift boot. I had the transmission rebuilt when the shift selector fork bent, and replaced the clutch and a broken engine mount at the same time. Also put in a new fuel pump, fuel tank sender gauge, and AC compressor over the years. Other than that, it was pretty reliable.

When I sold it the perforated leather in the front seats was really starting to crack, so I'm guessing the seat covers were done subsequent to me.

Enjoy.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Aero0T2
Hey, I just came across your thread. That was actually my first car! I owned it between 1998 and 2002.

It came to me with black Fuchs. I upgraded them to 17" Cup 1s (replica for early offset) and the gold BBS that you have were my winter wheels. I sold the car to some mechanics from Newfoundland, and they wanted bottom dollar so I sold the other wheels off seperately.

The Millage is not correct, the previous owner replaced the speedometer, which I believe he said was in MPH. I think it had about 80k km more on it.

The owner before me bought it as his company car, and had the car bare-to-metal repainted. It already had the 80' Carerra tail on it when I bought it, and he had removed the Smog pump required for California emissions. The only upgrade I did except for the JVC CD player head unit, door speakers and Clifford alarm, was to put in euro headlights and a short-shift kit with leather a 930 shift boot. I had the transmission rebuilt when the shift selector fork bent, and replaced the clutch and a broken engine mount at the same time. Also put in a new fuel pump, fuel tank sender gauge, and AC compressor over the years. Other than that, it was pretty reliable.

When I sold it the perforated leather in the front seats was really starting to crack, so I'm guessing the seat covers were done subsequent to me.

Enjoy.
Very interesting!

I just recieved the COA on the car and it lists "equipment for USA" as an option.
Therefore it would make sense that it is supposed to be in MPH as a USA car.
It also stated 16" Fuchs which are long gone as you stated.

The previous owner said he purchased the car around 2000 in Ontario.
He since installed 18" chome turbo twists (which i removed) and he had the interior refinished in black leather with the tan leather skins put in a box.

The previous owner never really used the car and the paint still looks fantastic!
The car really shows well.

The car currently has North American headlights which appear stock and the shifter is loose as a goose. So I am curious about those items... But will be addressing them.

I have since sold the gold wheels and installed 1984 date coded 15x7 and 15x8 Fuchs which i plan to finish RSR style at some point for a dated look.

The car dumped its oil in storage this winter for what ever reason.
It really hasnt been used over a long period of time.

I plan to get the car completely sorted and then either leave it stock or completely hot rod it.... Depends on how much it needs when i sort it out.

Great to know a little more on the history of the car!

I am very impressed on how good condition it is as it could actually pass for a 54000kms car!

This the first SC in my collection.
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Aero0T2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, the previous owner rewrapped the leather dash too. The seats looked better until I tried to "condition" them and the added moisture swelled them up and really split them.

The original headlights were sealed beams, and I put in upgraded lenses that took H4 bulbs I believe. Maybe they weren't "euro", what's that, H5?

It had a bit of a leak on the plate around the drain plug, and they said around the transmission somewhere too. The buyer had plans to rebuild the whole car, clearly that didn't happen.

I sold it to pay for my 2002 Mini Cooper S when they first came out (what a mistake that was), and I was back into a Porsche (2000 Boxster S) within a year!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My '86 Carrera also did an unexpected oil dump during winter storage, after not leaking and running fine beforehand. Evidently the seals on the 30 year old oil return tubes could not accommodate the temperature changes. Not too hard to fix though and all is well again.

Quick Reply: Euro SC?