Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2L Cam Tower Leaking After 10K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 02:10 PM
racin951
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3.2L Cam Tower Leaking After 10K miles...

I have an 84 Carrera with a 3.2L. It was rebuilt about 10k miles ago. I noticed an oil leak by the valve covers so I changed the valve cover gaskets. Then a few days later I noticed the leak was still there. After checking it closer and watching the engine as it was running I found the cam towers are leaking. What procedure would I need to do to reseal the cam towers?

Unfortunately, I had Motor Meister in CA clean and prep the engine and I put it back together. I think they may have switch the cam towers with another engine. I'm hearing all kinds of not so happy things about them since having dealt with them. If this is the case, what has to be done to have the cam towers seat properly? Is there a better sealer I should be using than 574 Loctite for this area?

Any help yould be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Howard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Bruce Anderson recommends a Dow product for sealing. This may sound a little funny , but I used a product called Yamabond to seal the towers. It's designed for (of course) Yamaha motorcycles and distributed by the Yamaha dealer, but it works great!. I removed the studs and machined the surfaces flat first, being careful to remove a minimum amount of material, then just prior to assembly I cleaned all surfaces with acetone.

Good luck ! Sorry about the MM experience.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Before you tear down the top end to reseal the towers you may want to check that the rocker shafts are tight. Oil leaks often appear at the shafts as this is the reason for the rocker shaft seals that are a porsche racing item that Bruce describes in his book. After a rebuild the shaft tension should be rechecked at each valve adjustment as they can loosen up.
Also I have never had a problem with 574 loctite although the dow product I have heard is excellent as well

Good luck
Todd
Old 02-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
racin;

Todd, is correct. I would check to see if your rocker arm shafts are tight, and not leaking. I have always installed seals on the shafts to prevent this. If you used 574, and things were clean I would again lean toward your shafts leaking.

Quick Reply: 3.2L Cam Tower Leaking After 10K miles...