Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tracking a Targa, Porche DE events

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '86 coupe and I had a lot of good times at the Glen on stock tires.

Got to the Black run group, but w 200hp I was getting in the way and had to back down.

But I did make'm work in the turns
Old 01-21-2016, 01:06 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

The speed disparity is dangerous and annoying so be careful no matter what you do.

They should group cars by speed AND ability. Not just ability. When I am in a rented spec Miata I can't stand the faster cars constantly up my ***. And when I am in the gt3 I get annoyed that the 944s don't give me the point by early enough.

I have since stopped doing de all together.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Drive the car you have. Getting back in the grove takes time. I don't care who is ahead or behind or who is faster or slower that is the advantage of DE. So long as everyone respects each other there is no shame in giving a point by. At the end of the day we are all feeling good, enjoying the company and sharing what we learned or discussing what we need to work on next.

You will meet a lot of great people and make new friends. Heck even Frank slows his pace so we can drive together. If I can get my wife out there to drive and have a blast so will you.

Once you start moving up you can decide to make a change or not. First step is getting yourself back out there.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

In limited DE experience I agree with disparity of cars , skill levels...even in Green with instructors I witnessed stupid driving by a few every session. Guess the Instructors cannot get thru to everyone.
I'm on a mission to get back to some DE events every year, since I met cool car people and really loved the driving and atmosphere, so I appreciate the comments. Instructors made it fun and helped me get solo sessions every event which was rewarding.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM
gerry100
Pro

Originally Posted by Modena 1
The speed disparity is dangerous and annoying so be careful no matter what you do.

They should group cars by speed AND ability. Not just ability. When I am in a rented spec Miata I can't stand the faster cars constantly up my ***. And when I am in the gt3 I get annoyed that the 944s don't give me the point by early enough.

I have since stopped doing de all together.

I hear ya. but I've also heard that some orgs are using groupings based on car capabilities to address the problem
Old 01-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
I hear ya. but I've also heard that some orgs are using groupings based on car capabilities to address the problem
It's only a problem If you don't know how to let faster cars pass without slowing YOU and HIM down (just like racing with different classes on track at the same time). In the upper run groups where people are comfortable and knowledgeable with passing in corners, this is no issue and that's why the safest way to approach this is to sort the groups by skill level.

DEs are all about safety, fun, learning and coexisting. Most PCA groups achieve that without undue pressure on novice drivers.

To the OP - just have fun and exercise that car where it belongs - on the track.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:47 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A dead-stock 84 Targa will be a fine Green/Blue DE car. Remember, the purpose of DE is for YOU to learn the basic procedures and techniques of track driving.

BTW, situational awareness, and learning how to manage traffic and give (and receive) timely passing signals is a very important skill.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Dead stock '74.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:04 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
It's only a problem If you don't know how to let faster cars pass without slowing YOU and HIM down (just like racing with different classes on track at the same time). In the upper run groups where people are comfortable and knowledgeable with passing in corners, this is no issue and that's why the safest way to approach this is to sort the groups by skill level.

DEs are all about safety, fun, learning and coexisting. Most PCA groups achieve that without undue pressure on novice drivers.

To the OP - just have fun and exercise that car where it belongs - on the track.
Yep, DEs aren't racing, but learning what your car can do and how it will react. like Frank, I'm also in the upper run groups, sometimes in a high horsepower car, other times pedaling the 944 NA as fast as I can, still having fun & getting a tan on my left arm. A buddy tracked this car from the early/mid 70s to just a few years ago, now he tracks a 924S
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks again for all the comments. With some regret I have decided and very quickly sold my Targa today.
Dont beat me up too bad, but I decided it was too nice of an example not to have another person get more use out of this stock 84 Targa. In 4 DE events I witnessed quite a few pretty bad wrecks or off track spins into walls. I agree with all the DE comments...I humbly say I was a good student and took everything my instructors told me about driving smart and learning vs sheer speed.
As I write this I am continuing to figure out a way to get back to DE and what type of car to get for it.
Thanks again for taking time for comments.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 AM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
Thanks again for all the comments. With some regret I have decided and very quickly sold my Targa today.
Dont beat me up too bad, but I decided it was too nice of an example not to have another person get more use out of this stock 84 Targa. In 4 DE events I witnessed quite a few pretty bad wrecks or off track spins into walls. I agree with all the DE comments...I humbly say I was a good student and took everything my instructors told me about driving smart and learning vs sheer speed.
As I write this I am continuing to figure out a way to get back to DE and what type of car to get for it.
Thanks again for taking time for comments.
For the money, you can't beat the 944 I'm selling
I'm keeping the mate to it, can't keep em all (already sold the Blue one).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tracking a Targa, Porche DE events