Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:20 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?

Often when cruising around town or at out of town activities I get approached by potential buyers. "Interested in selling that?".

My usual response is a polite "No thank you, I love it. Runs great." They acknowledge and/or compliment the car.

Sometimes I see the same guy when I go to a local car gathering. He always asks me if I want to sell. I give the usual response.

Yesterday, I had some guy in a car near a Smog Station (I need to get a smog check) that asked me if I want to sell. I gave my usuual response, but he would not take no for an answer. He kept saying I will give you cash, name your price. I kept replying "no thanks". I just walked away, with the thought that it may get physical and prepared for my defense.

I won't be returning to that part of town anytime soon.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:13 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Old 09-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was filling my gas tank last night and the guy at the pump in front of me came over and told me my headlights were on. He went on and on and would not shut up. I told him they are called "City Lights" and are not my actual headlights... He insisted that no, he was talking about my headlights. He wanted me to turn them off before I drained the battery any worse. When I was done filling it up, got in and turned the actual headlights on he wanted to talk more. No way. You've made a big enough idiot of yourself already.

....and ya, I get offers all the time when I'm out. When it would cost twice what I have in it to replace it, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:57 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had several people knock on my door to ask me if I'd sell my 87 Carrera. And I've come out of my home or found my car in a parking lot with a sign on it asking me to call if I'm interested in selling. Quite honestly I'm starting to worry about my car being stolen given the recent increases in value of these cars.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by logan2z
Quite honestly I'm starting to worry about my car being stolen given the recent increases in value of these cars.
You should worry that they'll make you "an offer you can't refuse"... One morning you wake up and a bumper is lying on your bed...
Old 09-26-2015, 03:47 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
You should worry that they'll make you "an offer you can't refuse"... One morning you wake up and a bumper is lying on your bed...
Or the head of a Stuttgart stallion.

I handle it quite simply. I give them a number that is about 20% more than market price of the car. The time it takes them to gather their jaw off the ground is usually enough to get in and drive away.

If that doesn't work ask for a business card and say you will call when you have more time to talk. Then throw it away. It's really that simple even with an aggressive guy.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

How could anyone not want to steal this:

Name:  mwV8LWnh.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  131.6 KB

Last edited by logan2z; 09-27-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Wow, gorgeous color. What's it called?
Old 09-26-2015, 07:30 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Wow, gorgeous color. What's it called?
It's Venetian Blue, but shows up a bit more purplish than usual given the lighting and the filter I used.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z

How could anyone not want to steal this:

The photo or the car?
Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I chose to avoid these inconvenient conversations by purchasing a 996. Seems to have worked.

If by chance it ever occurs, I'll tell them I'm on the way to the shop to see if that grinding noise I'm hearing is the IMS finally giving out.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Somehow the photo sharing site I use lost the image. Here it is again:

Attachment 1358419
Old 09-27-2015, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

It is funny how most of them come on quite aggressively really want to buy the car and then argue over the price. I had someone last year at a car show offer me $175k for my turbo when I told him he would need to add another $100k+ to the price he went on how he has been following the market and I was out of my mind. I asked him where could he find another in this color combo and condition and he had no answer.

It is one thing to make an offer but to push and tell me he knows more about my cars value than I do?? What an arss. This has been happening with the C2 as well lately.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:41 AM
MSHax
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they won't take no for an answer, I give a ridiculous price. They usually say something like "That's way too high, you'll never sell it at that price." that's when you reply "That's my point, it's not for sale."

BUT, occasionally, you'll meet someone who just "has to have it". I have made some great deals from people like that. Perfect example; I had a 2 door 69 lincoln. I did some mods to it, big rims, air ride, bmw m3 interior, etc. I was at a gas station when a guy came up to me with that "name your price" crap. I told him a ridiculous price. I bought the car for $800, put about $7000 into it, plus my labor of building it. I told the guy $40,000 because I didn't want to sell it. The guy pulls out his phone, opens up his Chase app, and shows it to me. He said "if you let me keep $100 so my account will stay open, the rest is yours." So...the car I didn't want to sell, was on it's way to a new home for just over $36,000. In my mind, the car was worth about $15,000, but in his it was worth way more.

Moral of the story is, tell them something stupid, who knows what it'll get you. :P
(I say this but my 74 911 is my dream, perfect car, and even a double it's value offer wouldn't even make me flinch )
Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

I always respond .. 100 grand .. conversation over ...

Quick Reply: Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?