1982 Targa Question's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:58 PM
freedy7100
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1982 Targa Question's

Hello,

I am looking to get into the air cooled porsche game. Ideally I wanted a 993 C4S, but I happened upon an '82 targa that seems too good of a bargain to pass up on. However, I have a few questions as to what was available to targa's at the time as this one may have a few hints that it might not be so original. Were turbo whale tales available for targas at the time? Were black fuch's rims available? Did targas have "911 SC" written on the back? or did it say "targa". Also, the owner mentioned the A/C does not work, it may just need a charge, but if I was to fully repair this, what could that cost?

Appreciate any and all comments and feedback, just love to talk porsches .
Old 08-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of a broad spectrum of prices....an 82 SC Targa is a whole lot less valuable than a 993C4S. As far as I'm aware, the only place the word "Targa" should be placed, is actually on the the Targa bar. SC should be the only labelling on the engine lid (not 911 SC). Also I believe "Turbo" whale tails were not offered by the factory on an ordinary SC but I think the smaller"tea tray" variety was. I can't comment on the A/C question but even a fully functional A/C on an SC will not give you frost bite. I have an 85 3.2 and a 96 993 and even though they're only 11 years apart they are quite far apart in term of A/C and ease of driving. Both fun cars, but very different. Cheers
Old 08-19-2015, 11:36 PM
tomtom911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freedy7100
Hello,

I am looking to get into the air cooled porsche game. Ideally I wanted a 993 C4S, but I happened upon an '82 targa that seems too good of a bargain to pass up on. However, I have a few questions as to what was available to targa's at the time as this one may have a few hints that it might not be so original. Were turbo whale tales available for targas at the time? Were black fuch's rims available? Did targas have "911 SC" written on the back? or did it say "targa". Also, the owner mentioned the A/C does not work, it may just need a charge, but if I was to fully repair this, what could that cost?

Appreciate any and all comments and feedback, just love to talk porsches .
I own an 82 targa. The rear engine lid does say 911SC. Not just SC. The car came with 15" cookie cutter wheels or 16" Fuchs with black centers. There is much more to be concerned about then these two points. Find a good independent Porsche shop for a PPI before purchasing. Forget the AC. Don't drive in the rain and when it's hot out take the top off. Never use mine. Good luck
Old 08-19-2015, 11:42 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds to me like the car could be all original. Most new guys don't even know that there is a difference between a whale tail and a tea tray. Without pictures or a better description we can't be sure. But nothing described is not correct or original to an SC. Targa or coupe doesn't matter.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Drisump
Racer

Gee...sorry about that (911 SC on engine lid)..I can't say I've ever seen that.My 3.2 came with 15" black center Fuchs, but she's originally from Belgium so cookie cutters or optional 16" may've been your choices in the USA.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:49 AM
freedy7100
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by Drisump
Kind of a broad spectrum of prices....an 82 SC Targa is a whole lot less valuable than a 993C4S. As far as I'm aware, the only place the word "Targa" should be placed, is actually on the the Targa bar. SC should be the only labelling on the engine lid (not 911 SC). Also I believe "Turbo" whale tails were not offered by the factory on an ordinary SC but I think the smaller"tea tray" variety was. I can't comment on the A/C question but even a fully functional A/C on an SC will not give you frost bite. I have an 85 3.2 and a 96 993 and even though they're only 11 years apart they are quite far apart in term of A/C and ease of driving. Both fun cars, but very different. Cheers
Would love to hear your opinion on both. I know both cars are totally different, overall I want an air cooled porsche, top choice is 993 c4s and 2nd choice is a targa from the 80's. Of your 2, which do you enjoy driving more? What are some subtle things you can point out? What would you recommend to a first time Porsche buyer?
Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a rule of thumb younger generation who grew up driving modern cars would prefer the practicality and ease of use of newer cars such as 993 however older guys like me that started driving in 70's & 80's prefer the rawness of older pre 89 cars. As an example a guy was asking about practicality of a 964 Targa as a daily driver on a different forum - Most owners were against the idea mainly due to changing gears in commute traffic - I had to laugh as these guys obviously didn't own pre Autobox cars (which only became norm in Europe post 2000) 964 is very modern compared to a 3.2 - I assume 3.2 commute would have been hell for them.

I guess it all depends on what you have been used to but given that the two cars are worlds apart, if you have to ask then I would suggest 993 - you could always work your way back as a raw SC could come as a bit of a shock!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 AM
freedy7100
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mondrian
As a rule of thumb younger generation who grew up driving modern cars would prefer the practicality and ease of use of newer cars such as 993 however older guys like me that started driving in 70's & 80's prefer the rawness of older pre 89 cars. As an example a guy was asking about practicality of a 964 Targa as a daily driver on a different forum - Most owners were against the idea mainly due to changing gears in commute traffic - I had to laugh as these guys obviously didn't own pre Autobox cars (which only became norm in Europe post 2000) 964 is very modern compared to a 3.2 - I assume 3.2 commute would have been hell for them.

I guess it all depends on what you have been used to but given that the two cars are worlds apart, if you have to ask then I would suggest 993 - you could always work your way back as a raw SC could come as a bit of a shock!
I would consider myself of the younger generation. I am 28, which makes this car older than me. However, I am a little bit sick of the cars we have today and am looking for a place to disconnect. I have driven a 1970 BMW 2002 and a 1993 Range Rover, so I know a little bit about leaving some of those luxuries behind. I think you are right in saying, I will not feel the nostalgia of someone who grew up driving in the 70's and 80's with the '82 targa, I will probably feel that with a 993 C4S. I think both cars are a great option for me to disconnect and be with myself in my favorite place. Driving

I would post pictures of the car here for you guys to see, but I do not own it yet so I do not want to post pictures of someone elses car until I do own it.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Drisump
Racer

Cable clutch, no power steering, torsion bar suspension and noisier/much less refined....love it! In all seriousness though, a 993 is a few steps toward being a modern car vs the 3.2. Just for illustration purposes at 100 mph, the 993 is noisy but very composed and glued to the road whereas in the 3.2 there is far more drama...LOL. Way noisier and much more easily unsettled (cross winds, bumps,etc). My 3.2 is a stock Euro (231 hp) running on Bilsteins. The 993 is is a C2 that is slightly modified with Bilstein coilovers set to "Euro" height, light weight RS clutch and RS engine mounts. When I first drove a 993, after owning the 3.2 for a number of years, I was amazed at how much of the original character had been preserved. Faster, easier to drive and more comfortable to be sure, but nothing like a normal DD of today or even 20 years ago. I've done 3000 mile trips in both the 3.2 and 993 and find neither any real hardship at all. Obviously the 993 demands less of the occupants but I find the driving position and sport seats in the 3.2 extremely comfortable over the long haul. Over the years I have had the opportunity to drive 996's and 997's and they are great cars but to me they have lost some of the "old magic". Not to denigrate BMW's, but to me they display much of the comfort and ease of use that my wifes BMW does. When I fire up the old flat six in either of my cars there is a "sense of occasion" that simply doesn't occur with me in other cars. On the issue of four wheel drive, personally I gravitate toward the driving characteristics of a RWD. The 4WD system in the 993 is much lighter and less prone to problems than what was on the 964. Up to this point I've only been caught out in slushy snow a couple of times and even then, the 2WD 911 is a good platform to get around....other than the summer performance tires. Good luck with your pursuit!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Keep in mind the 993C4S is considered the crown jewel of the non turbo cars,it will carry a massive premium.

The SC targa up until a few years ago was considered the " garden variety" Porsche and stood a long way back from its Coupe Brother.
I just don't think you are comparing apples with apples.

That said it always had the 911sc in the 70's font.

I think you could get the turbo tail if you added it as an option , but then again Porsche would do anything for Money .
the proper tail is a Weisach tail .. the Carrera tail most commonly seen on them now ( which looks much better balance than the Turbo tail ) did not come out until 84 with the Carrera so would have been back fitted on an SC. Still all Porsche so nothing wrong with that.

I have never driven a 993 C4S but in comparison to a SC it is a far more modern and powerful car. I prefer the SC in that I don't feel I have to wrap it in Porsche approved cotton ***** every night to protect my valuable investment.

If you love to wrench th SC is definitely the way to go .

and as far as air goes , forget it , will cost a fortune to get it sort of working , I agree with the above and leave the roof in the garage...
Old 08-20-2015, 06:01 PM
cab713
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 1982 911SC Targa that was an unmolested original 1 owner car until March 2013 when I purchased it. The badges says 911SC on the tail, targa on the bar, 16' black center Fuchs. No Teatray or Whaletale spoiler, but I've seen some that have it. People say you want the G50 transmission, but I'm totally happy with the 915 in mine. I'm 44 and my first car was a '74 2002. I don't enjoy all of the technology in cars today. (I work in Internet Marketing, so technology is my friend) This car is pure driving enjoyment. I have a 200 mile route through the N. Georgia twisties I do as often as possible.

Great car that helps me center the moment I leave the driveway. Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I love driving vintage cars, as they require certain skills, and are cool, but are challenging and typically uncomfortable and potentially unreliable.

An 82 SC is a great car, if in good condition, but demanding to drive... which is the entire point. Like a thoroughbred horse you have to "negotiate" with the car... it tells you how it wants to be driven, and if you do it right is very rewarding.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Keep in mind the 993C4S is considered the crown jewel of the non turbo cars,it will carry a massive premium
A low mile one sold last week in Monterey for $85k. An average mike one is on Pelican right now fit 70s. I haven't seen one under 60k in a long time. In short, twice the price of an SC. I would trade my 67 912 AND one of my 3.2s for one!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:50 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
A low mile one sold last week in Monterey for $85k. An average mike one is on Pelican right now fit 70s. I haven't seen one under 60k in a long time. In short, twice the price of an SC. I would trade my 67 912 AND one of my 3.2s for one!
Just being a nudge, but i'd keep the 912 and the 3.2.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

I might give away the 3.2 and a ********, but keep the 912

Quick Reply: 1982 Targa Question's