Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rebuilding window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 07:51 PM
77TARGA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rebuilding window regulator

I am in the process of rebuilding my window regulator, after pulling it out of the door, and replacing the window regulator pivot, I start to reassemble it and I think there is a piece missing. I can't find any good pictures of one som I can look. Is there supposed to be a second slotted pin for the outside end of the tensioner spring?
Old 03-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but it's starting to have some problems. I am probably going to replace it with a 3 arm. My car came with power windows, which I ditched for manual for weight reduction. At the time I just threw in whatever I found at the junkyard, which was a 2 arm regulator. I was never completely satisfied with the way it felt to wind, but it did ok. But now I am going to take the opportunity to switch to the updated regulator. Supposedly, the 3 arm regulators are much better. I think they are around $120-$140 a piece if I am not mistaken. If you have power windows, disregard all of the above.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Stormin
Cruisin'

77 Targa - nope, there is no second slotted pin - the spring's outer end forms a u-bend that just hooks under a bent metal tab that sticks out from the regulator - very basic.

How did you replace the pivot? (this is the one slotted pin that holds the center of the same spring, right?)

Word for the wary - I am in the process of trying to go from the older 2 arm regulator (with broken split pivot pins) to the new style 3 arm - but there is some form of adapter kit I cannot find - so I have the old reg's (that are broken) and the new - that will not fit without the missing adapter - FIND THE ADAPTER KIT BEFORE YOU RIP THE OLD REG OUT!!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:11 PM
77TARGA
Advanced

Replacing the pivot was rather easy, after the regulator is out and on you work bench, line the holes up where the the pin goes, push it in as far as it will go, then tap it in with a hammer GENTLY! after putting it back together, be sure to lube all moving parts with some white lithium grease... mine works like a champ now
Old 04-03-2003, 09:50 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Norm
I did the upgrade.. I didn't use an up-grade kit.. and I don't get notified by rennlist if another reply happens here.. can't figure out why
Old 04-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Adapter? Man, are you sure about that? My car came with a 3 arm power window regulator so maybe it was part of that system. But I ditched all of it a long time ago. And I was all thrilled about getting a 3 arm manual.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Stormin
Cruisin'

Working on a 1975 911S - I have two new 3 arm manual regs, looking to replace two old style parallel arm (2 arm) regs that have broken pivot pins - there is absolutely no way I can see the newer three arm style working as is - lengths are different (center of spindle to center of window lift arms)

The Pelican online parts manual references an adapter kit, per an older technical bulletin, that is no longer on their site - and which they cannot seem to put their hands upon.

All I really want is for my windows to work.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Stormin
Cruisin'

S'ok - Pelican followed up with an update on their site to both provide the adapter & missing tech bulletin <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911E/por_911E_miscel_main.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911E/por_911E_miscel_main.htm</a>
- which starts talking about replacing rails etc. No Thanks - new arms are going back, and I'm going to rebuild the old parallel arm units. They were not THAT bad.

Now...where do I find a replacement center pivot?
Old 04-11-2003, 09:19 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Performance Products
Old 04-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Doug Clauder
Intermediate

Hi Norm,
My email is down. I think I see what you are talking about. The channel across the base of the window (fig 3) has to be changed. It's not that big of a deal, but it does require some patience.

In addition to replacing the channel at the base of the window, you have to install the new guide rail for the third strut (figs 2,4,5).

I didn't even try to rebuild my old regulator (perhaps I should have) so I can't help you there.

Good luck,
Doug
Old 04-13-2003, 03:28 AM
RoninLB
Pro

I did the newer style regulator w/new channel.. no big deal.. but Norman is returning the newer regulators/whatever.. I also did power door locks triggered by the Viper alarm beeper.. no big deal.. these projects do require time.....Ron

Quick Reply: Rebuilding window regulator