Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 3.0 Euro Brake Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 05:44 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 3.0 Euro Brake Help Please

Hello everyone. I have a 1977 3.0 euro Carrara that I am having break issues with. Both front calipers are dragging the rotors. To my knowledge the brakes have never been serviced , or it has been decades since any service was performed. Today I replaced my break hoses but the problem is still there. I am guessing that I may need to rebuild the calipers. Does this sound like the right thing to do? What rebuild kit do I need? I am not sure of the caliper part numbers on the 77 euro 3.0 Carrera. I thought I read somewhere that the calipers of the euro spec 77 were different than the U.S. 2.7.

Thanks for any help. I just want to get this right.

TroyKershaw
Old 08-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyK
Hello everyone. I have a 1977 3.0 euro Carrara that I am having break issues with. Both front calipers are dragging the rotors. To my knowledge the brakes have never been serviced , or it has been decades since any service was performed. Today I replaced my break hoses but the problem is still there. I am guessing that I may need to rebuild the calipers. Does this sound like the right thing to do? What rebuild kit do I need? I am not sure of the caliper part numbers on the 77 euro 3.0 Carrera. I thought I read somewhere that the calipers of the euro spec 77 were different than the U.S. 2.7.

Thanks for any help. I just want to get this right.

TroyKershaw
You should have aluminum 1 piece S calipers on the front of your car.

Eric Shea at PMB can rebuild them for you

if nothing has been done to the brakes for a # of years you might want to rebuild the rear Ms too, use new fluid and then flush it yearly
Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Thank you Bill. I think having them restored is what I really want.
I really like that idea. Thank you for the advise.

Troy Kershaw
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
TroyK
Intermediate

One more quick question guys. I am going to pull my wheels back off today to pull my calipers. I'm thinking they may be steel. I would like for them to be aluminum but I am 90% sure they are steel. If they are steel would you recommend replacing or restoring. I am thinking the original part to the car restored is best. It seems the price difference between the two is not big.

Thanks
Troy Kershaw
Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, you don't want aluminum calipers. Unless it's a show car, or really casual cruiser. We threw so many away in the '80s once caliper flex started becoming something known.

Probably the best and most cost effective replacement would be a setup off a 3.2L car--slightly thicker rotors, but it is the same pad.

(Fuzzy memory, but I think the couple of 3.0 cars like yours that passed through my hands had steel calipers.)
Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

I am wanting to keep the car as original as possible. That's why I am thinking that restoration may be the way to go. Through research I see that the ATE calipers can be purchased new. I'm just wondering if there is an advantage or disadvantage to purchasing brand new? Are the the PMB more period correct? I know they are yellow zinc coated.

Thanks
Troy Kershaw
Old 08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Also would you recommend replacing the rotors at the same time?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TroyK
I am wanting to keep the car as original as possible. That's why I am thinking that restoration may be the way to go. Through research I see that the ATE calipers can be purchased new. I'm just wondering if there is an advantage or disadvantage to purchasing brand new? Are the the PMB more period correct? I know they are yellow zinc coated.

Thanks
Troy Kershaw
Eric can advise you as to the correct finish, as I recall the 930s had a yellowish tint from zinc dicromate, the earlier ones also used on Alfas were silver, at least the ones on my '69 Alfa were silver.

The big issue w/ the aluminum calipers is bore corrosion, oversize pistons and seals were never available so they used to sleeve them w/ ss liners, as long as this is taken care of I see no reason to prefer new over reconditioned. Again Eric does nice work and can advise.

No reson to replace rotrs unless worn or damaged in some way.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Cool. Thanks Bill.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I must be getting old, for some reason I thought that you had a '77 Turbo Carrera

I just reread it it appears that you have a '77 Carrera 3.0

I have a '76 Carrera 3.0 the front brakes were iron A calipers, but the recommendation to have PMB rebuild them stands

Under the grime I see a tinge of yellow so probably they had a zinc dicromate coating when new

same advice for the bores too
Old 08-10-2015, 04:11 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Cool. Thanks������������
Old 08-10-2015, 04:50 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Bill I also wanted to say that I love the color of your 993. It is my favorite. I'm on the lookout for a narrow Riviera blue 993 or a maritime blue 964. I have had the Carrera 3 since 94 and I would like to park something beside it. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the break advice. I am looking forward to working on the Carrera.

Quick Reply: 1977 3.0 Euro Brake Help Please