Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruf 3.4L conversion questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Ruf 3.4L conversion questions.

Im sure everyone on here knows about the Ruf CTR & BTR cars, but Ive seen one for sale that has a naturally aspirated 3.4 It claims to have a Ruf 3.4L with new Camshafts, Pistons & Cylinders along with a few other Ruf parts (exhaust, and a ecu tuned to the mods + interior parts). I tried to contact Ruf, but they werent helpful.

Any more details would be helpful. Im trying to avoid linking the ad for fear of you guys swooping in on it
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's a real RUF, it will have a RUF serial number.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Even in 1986? Lets say its NOT a real Ruf, any idea what the 3.4 conversion entails? I talked to the guy who runs the place that sells it and he spoke highly of it, but it all sounded too much like a car salesman VS a P-car guy even though thats pretty much all he sells. Says its a night and day difference from the 3.2 its based off of
Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

3.4L conversions from the stock 3.2L engine are a well documented and popular build, and if done properly can certainly be an impressive power improvement over the stock engine. Key phrase here is "IF done properly". I'd ask for documentation showing who did the build, what parts they used etc, and call the shop that did the work to talk it through with them. There's more to a good build than slapping in new pistons/cylinders, as those with much more experience than myself will likely chime in with.

But don't let them try to tell you that just because they built a 3.4L engine that it has anything to do with RUF. Yes, RUF modified the 3.2L engine and built it into a turbocharged 3.4L engine for the CTR, no they didn't just sell the engines for people to drop into their Carrera's. Every CTR had its own RUF serial number, and they introduced the CTR in '87. My guess is that your seller has a carrera with a 3.4L engine that they know nothing about and either knowingly or mistakenly are calling it a RUF conversion.

If they can't provide details, walk away.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Any idea what a proper Naturally Aspirated Ruf 3.4L would make, powerwise? Also, he has told me that the engine build was done at a Ruf facility here in the US. I am trying to arrange a meeting to see the car and all the paperwork in person, but trying to do my research ahead of time. Is the engine stamped with a serial number or is there a plate on it? Just want to know what to look for
Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Im sure everyone on here knows about the Ruf CTR & BTR cars, but Ive seen one for sale that has a naturally aspirated 3.4 It claims to have a Ruf 3.4L with new Camshafts, Pistons & Cylinders along with a few other Ruf parts (exhaust, and a ecu tuned to the mods + interior parts). I tried to contact Ruf, but they werent helpful.

Any more details would be helpful. Im trying to avoid linking the ad for fear of you guys swooping in on it
There was a n/a 3.2 kit for 3.0 and 3.4 kit for 3.2
cams were not part of either kit

here's a page of the brochure for the 3.2 kit for 3.0
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 49 Posts

That ad is very cool.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM
djsioukas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill...you are correct and I have that same picture in my Ruf files. It is a very cool picture. Based upon what I have found, however, it appears that at some point Ruf may have eliminated the tachometer from the kit and added the camshafts. Here is a page from a Ruf catalogue and a page from the current Ruf Japan website.
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check with some of the expert engine builders on sthe lip fit cylinder approach to a big bore kit. Also, looks like there's no mention of enhancing even the rod bolts, let alone connecting rods.

For comparison sake, the 3.4L I got through Ed in buying "Ruby" showed ~265HP with DME/twin plug/great exhaust.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Debbie Downer weighs in.

This is 25 year old technology... great technology in its day, and historically significant, but in terms of objective performance, a brand new Cayman S probably puts out 325 some odd HP at the rear wheels... (arguments to follow), and will go 15K between oil changes.

Celebrate history, venerate it, but do not worship it.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Is this the gray one from Velocity?

http://www.velocityporsches.com/porsche_coupe_1986.html

I don't know the car personally but its been for sale well over a year.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

That is very interesting, I had no idea RUF sold a conversion kit. My apologies to the OP.

That said, I still wouldn't buy it. It's a wannabe RUF, and the same (arguably better) engine performance can be had for a lot less money starting with a stock 3.2 and using a reputable builder.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:23 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220
Is this the gray one from Velocity?

http://www.velocityporsches.com/porsche_coupe_1986.html

I don't know the car personally but its been for sale well over a year.
Thats the one. Ive seen it for sale for a long time, and wondered why it hasnt sold

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
That is very interesting, I had no idea RUF sold a conversion kit. My apologies to the OP.

That said, I still wouldn't buy it. It's a wannabe RUF, and the same (arguably better) engine performance can be had for a lot less money starting with a stock 3.2 and using a reputable builder.
No worries, I take no offense. Im just trying to learn and Id be a fool to claim to be an expert at anything.

I am going to pass as my current E30 makes 225whp with 2.8L. Its hard for me to justify spending 4x the money to have less. I'll keep saving and get a better one.

BTW those Ruf ads are AWESOME!!

Thanks guys!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Im curious what you guys think this car is actually worth?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:15 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut

Yes, they sold several conversion kits, as Bill V. stated. I was fortunate enough to buy one of these kits many years ago (and still have it) from a wrecked N/A RoW Ruf SC. I say kit as my friend purchased the complete car which had Ruf paperwork , and, I bought the gauges, and the complete top end which was twin plug, 98mm 10.5:1 So yes, they are out there as Ruf built numerous normally aspirated cars during the late 70's and into the 80's.

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Thats the one. Ive seen it for sale for a long time, and wondered why it hasnt sold

I am going to pass as my current E30 makes 225whp with 2.8L. Its hard for me to justify spending 4x the money to have less. I'll keep saving and get a better one.

BTW those Ruf ads are AWESOME!!

Thanks guys!
As several have stated the car in question has been for sale for a really long time, the Ruf pieces look like ad-ons.. (tach & deck badge) easy pieces to find, and I've hear negative things about the seller as well.. so yeah, for those $$ = pass!

As for that 225whp in the E30 is a lot different than what a 911 or a Ruf built 911 will bring.. trust me!

Quick Reply: Ruf 3.4L conversion questions.