Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Crazy markup / I hate flippers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
This is capitalism at work pure and simple- we all buy things all day long from someone that paid less for them than we do. I for one can't understand why folks get so upset about this- this has been going on for tens of thousands of years the internet just makes the process more transparent. All of us have equal access to the used Porsche market- you have to be a gun slinger to win when a car shows up under market price. Car dealers are in the business to make money - hopefully most of us work for businesses with the intention of making money.
Phil
I have no problem with profit. Some of the cars are bought AT market price (for example, $25,000 for a 100k mile SC) and the dealer tacks on another $10k. This is speculation. This is why I'm seeing dealers with cars on their lots for 3-4 months or more. They've now moved the car above market rates.

Will someone pay? Maybe. When humans panic we do stupid things. See the housing bubble.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

So what if they bought the car off of eBay? Its a good thing to know as a buyer but do you think calling them out on it is going to change their mind on the selling price.

Where you're long the market from has no influence on the current market price.

If you dont like the price, dont buy.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:39 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trader220
So what if they bought the car off of eBay? Its a good thing to know as a buyer but do you think calling them out on it is going to change their mind on the selling price.

Where you're long the market from has no influence on the current market price.

If you dont like the price, dont buy.
I certainly won't buy from True Speed, they don't seem to be very nice. Knowing what they paid should let you know how much wiggle room you have to negotiate. If they are asking $12k above what they paid, maybe they’ll take $6k above? These guys seemed pissed that you could find out how much they paid all together. It's like they didn't want to negotiate.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok two more points and I'm done.
1. Buyers set the market not sellers- if price is too high car generally doesn't sell. Folks get too hung up on absurd asking prices- I could name 30-40 cars that are way overpriced off the top of my head but who really cares.
2. This is a hobby - it's supposed to be fun, lighten up. Anyone that can afford to throw away $25k on a pure toy is probably doing ok.

The rest of world has figured out what we have known for years- The Porsche 911 is a really terrific car, enjoy them!

Phil
Old 02-18-2015, 12:18 AM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KDRGibby
These guys seemed pissed that you could find out how much they paid all together. It's like they didn't want to negotiate.
This is the one thing that gets to me with resellers lately, especially if they use an enthusiast forum to pull the crap. Don't get an attitude when you try to flip a known car that the internet is aware of and people bring it up.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Let me put a different spin on it.

You write off your car and expect 30 grand for it due to current prices. Ins company guy says. You only payed 16 a year ago on eBay .......

Food for thought ?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Glenn
Racer

Food for thought indeed. Note to self, must get car reappraised, soon!

Quick Reply: Crazy markup / I hate flippers