Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

looking for solid driver quality air cooled 911 in so cal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drisump
The future will determine whether air cooled Porsches "are in a bubble". In my opinion they are unique in the automotive world, a car that can be reliable @>20 years old,(I drive my 85 on a few thousand mile journeys every year) somehow both visceral and comfortable, excellent parts supply....etc. I don't know about their future as an investment but as a bit of fun in a sea of "appliances", they're hard to beat...and I think will continue to be. Cheers

True, but when dealers are snagging up cars and marking them up $8 to $10k and we are seeing asking prices $10,000-$15,000 above a year ago and driven mostly by dealers... I smell bubble.

My uncles 327 67' Vette went for $70k nearly a decade ago, now they are trading at $50k, or there about. They peaked, then collectors got bored when things started breaking and prices came back down (higher than 15 years ago, but well below peak prices).

To me the question isn't if we are in a bubble, but if we've hit peak Porsche price. Given that 997 prices are now in a steep decline (there was a 90k mile 2005 for sale for $26k in Miami last month), and all 911s are going turbo, I think 997s will relieve some of the pressure. Rising values of 240zs may do the same as people seek alternatives and the desire for a 911 melts to other cars.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no question that at some point a resistance level has to be reached and perhaps we're there. The thing about air cooled 911's vs old Vettes is they are sought after by a broader world. This has a way of sorting out currency fluctuations, supply issues and localized "bubbles". The $US has been so strong (and gaining) you may find 911's values stalling out in $US dollar terms but still going up in Euro countries. IMHO Vettes are mostly a North American passion but It's pretty hard to control a market that is truly international in scope.
Personally I feel lucky to have bought my 85 at a time when you you could buy one and felt no concern about racking up the miles and having fun. Today, they're becoming a meaningful part of a guys estate and the sad part is that discourages use. 996 or 240z anyone?.....but they're not the same. Cheers
Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I think if you're patient, you will find a car. There's still a lot of owners (who don't live on these boards) that don't realize that prices have essentially doubled over the past 12-24 months.

The only stipulation is you'll have to be ready to buy at a moments notice, probably without a PPI, and perhaps without evening being able to view the car first. Don't be afraid to leave notes on cars. Check craigslist hourly. Post WTB ads (online, inside stores, etc). The chase is half the fun.

If you get burned out, an early 2.5 Boxster is a very nice cheap alternative. Delight to drive, incredible engine sounds, just all the characteristic Porsche charm with Honda reliability.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Above posts make some good points.

First, what are your objectives? How form is your budget? Certainly most of us here are big fans of pre-89 911s, but realistically, Boxster/996/997 are more usable cars.

If this is your only sports-car, these later options may give you more all-round utility for your money... especially the Boxster... good ones can be had for less than $18K, and trust me, these are fantastic cars to drive.

Now, if the Air-cooled 911 is an absolute "must have", and you can push your budget, by all means do it... but beware of buying a "cheap" car with issues... it could cost you a lot more in the long-run.

BTW, be prepared to move quickly, but most legitimate sellers understand that making the sale contingent on a PPI is standard practice, and if the seller is being honest with you about the car, should have no problem with this.

If this is a problem, chances are the seller is a schmuck, in which case you probably don't want his car in the first place.

Good luck and good hunting
Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Above posts make some good points.

First, what are your objectives? How form is your budget? Certainly most of us here are big fans of pre-89 911s, but realistically, Boxster/996/997 are more usable cars.

If this is your only sports-car, these later options may give you more all-round utility for your money... especially the Boxster... good ones can be had for less than $18K, and trust me, these are fantastic cars to drive.

Now, if the Air-cooled 911 is an absolute "must have", and you can push your budget, by all means do it... but beware of buying a "cheap" car with issues... it could cost you a lot more in the long-run.

BTW, be prepared to move quickly, but most legitimate sellers understand that making the sale contingent on a PPI is standard practice, and if the seller is being honest with you about the car, should have no problem with this.

If this is a problem, chances are the seller is a schmuck, in which case you probably don't want his car in the first place.

Good luck and good hunting
thanks for the solid advice, I just sold a 996, so I am aware of their bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: looking for solid driver quality air cooled 911 in so cal