Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Guards Red 1986 911 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014 | 02:46 AM
aljaberh
Intermediate

Default Guards Red 1986 911 Journal

I purchased my first 911 almost two years ago in January 2013, GT Silver Carrera S with black interior. I always loved Porsches, its actually the only sports car that I really like and appreciate.

I always dreamed of owning an air cooled, I was thinking of getting a 964 Turbo, but the prices went crazy recently, so I thought I better start with something less expensive.

it is extremely difficult to find a classic/old Porsche where I live, I actually never saw an old 911 up for sale in the market other than one 993 few years ago, they are extremely rare to see on the roads as well. it is quite surprising as the 991 and the 997 are very popular over here.

my best option was to import, so I purchased this 1986 911 Carrera, 5 speed, Guards red with black restored interior, It took around two months to ship the car from the US, and I just got my hands on it few days ago

I was blown away by the first drive, the car is really solid, you feel really engaged and the driving position is very special.

I will spend much more time driving and maintaining the car once its registered, my intention is to maintain and enhance the condition of the car mechanically and cosmetically while keeping it as original as possible. I have very minimal experience with the air cooled Porsches, so your input and advice along the way will be highly appreciated

currently i ordered the European style front headlights from suncoastparts, they look much better to my eyes, but i am still debating whether to fix them or keep the car to its original look, what do you think?

i also noticed some black smoke coming from the engine bay with burning oil smell, its very minimal and i only noticed it twice. i heard its normal in almost every old 911, i am not yet sure if its still in the normal level or it needs some attention. i will get it checked and see if i need to do something about it.

i will update the post with much better pictures and details, i will try to post as much information and pictures as possible
Old 12-28-2014 | 12:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

It looks great! You should monitor the exhaust smoke and oil consumption; lots of smoke and high oil consumption may require a top engine rebuild. Make sure you change oil (using a good 20W50 non-synthetic), also perhaps do a valve and idle adjustment, to establish a baseline to evaluate the engine condition. Form a proper period-look perspective I would change the headlights as you are planning.
Old 12-29-2014 | 01:16 AM
aljaberh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
It looks great! You should monitor the exhaust smoke and oil consumption; lots of smoke and high oil consumption may require a top engine rebuild. Make sure you change oil (using a good 20W50 non-synthetic), also perhaps do a valve and idle adjustment, to establish a baseline to evaluate the engine condition. Form a proper period-look perspective I would change the headlights as you are planning.
the smoke is coming from the engine area not the exhaust, its very minimal and its not very dark, I took the car to the shop anyway to change all the lights as the car failed in inspection for that cause, and asked him to check the source of the smoke, will keep you updated!

I think I will fix the euro lights once I receive them, I will keep the originals with me as well.
Old 12-31-2014 | 02:58 AM
aljaberh
Intermediate

took the car for inspection this week and the car failed for the following:

1.front wipers not working
2.brake light not working
3.front right suspension leaking

I expected much more issues with the car, but its good that it failed for the above only. I was told that I have to fix at least the brake lights and it will pass and I will be able to register it.

took the car to the shop same day to do a full check up and fix all the above, my main concern is to check the source of the smoke and whether I have to do something about it or not, will keep you updated.
Old 01-05-2015 | 12:45 AM
aljaberh
Intermediate

Default small update!

So the car is out of the shop, it was under inspection for few days. The car leaks a very small amount of oil from an old gasket, I have a diagram showing the exact location of the leak, which I will try to share later on. fixing this leak needs the engine to be lowered, I decided not to do it at the moment, I left the car for 5 days at the shop and there was no oil under it at all, it only smokes sometime while driving, which I guess I will try to live with for now, and see how things goes.

the good news, I fixed all the issues causing the car to fail registration, its all good now and the car is under registration procedure. I took It to the detailing shop, the car was repainted and the condition of the paint is really good, it only has so many love marks/ washing scratches, I will post pictures once its out of the shop to show you the results!

as our climate is very hot almost 6 to 8 months of the year, this is the only time of the year that I can enjoy driving such a car, the weather is really nice, so I will keep enjoying the car and try not to worry about the oil leak for now..
Old 01-08-2015 | 09:09 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Congrats on your purchase! I too, came from a then new 09' 911 S and then went air cooled! If the leak is that small, leave it alone. I have a very slow leak from the engine as well. Like a pea size a month. It's the type that you don't fix, unless you have significant engine work to do. Then it's a no brainer to change the seal / gasket, during the process of fixing a major issue.

Headlight wise, go for the Euro H4's. I did the same and it made a world of difference, both cosmetically and functionally.
Old 01-08-2015 | 10:36 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

You can always put the original headlights back on if you ever want to sell. But I am with you, I like the H4's too. I will be replacing my headlights this winter here in the US. Where are you located that it is so hot because it's freezing here?
Old 01-09-2015 | 12:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

H4 headlights are a must.

The oil leak is a common problem. Search "Triangle of Death" and you will see that we all deal with it. I did mine right here at home. Took a lot less time and energy than I feared. Turns out it was a simple fix.

Welcome and congrats.

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
Where are you located that it is so hot because it's freezing here?
Dude, isn't the front licence plate a dead giveaway? He's in Arizona. ....where it was in the 80's today.
Old 01-11-2015 | 12:54 AM
aljaberh
Intermediate

thanks all for the feedback,

i am located very far away from you guys, i am from Qatar (middle east)

here is a quick photoshoot yesterday morning, with my friends 991 Guards Red:

Old 01-11-2015 | 12:10 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Looks really nice and holding it's own with all those water cooled 911's. Peace.

Quick Reply: Guards Red 1986 911 Journal