Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Q: '89 911, rear speakers top or bottom mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 PM
mfenzi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: '89 911, rear speakers top or bottom mount?

Hello Rlers,

Question. My '89 911 Targa has dead rear speakers. To remove them I have been gently prying on the speaker grills. They won't come off. Does anyone know for a fact is these are top mounted or bottom mounted? Top mounts come out easier. Bottom mount means I have to remove the rear deck. Before I crack the speaker grill or pull out the entire rear deck does anyone know which mounting style was used in a car built on 10-88?

I just replaced the door speakers so have a feel for how easy/hard it is to pop off a grill. The rear grill is definitely much harder then the door grill and feels like I will break it if I keep prying. I plan to keep the original grills so do NOT want to damage them in any way!

Your collective wisdom is much appreciated.

Pics show what one of the two grills looks like

Thanks for reading
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2015, 12:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Removing the rear shelf in my targa is about 15 minutes work and a great opportunity to take it out for a good cleaning. I don't know why you are thinking any other way
Old 01-10-2015, 01:24 PM
mfenzi
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
Removing the rear shelf in my targa is about 15 minutes work and a great opportunity to take it out for a good cleaning. I don't know why you are thinking any other way
Was curious as to how easy it would be to remove, and more importantly, replace the rear deck so that it looked as new - from your encouraging words I take it no big deal so off it comes - thanks for the response and quelling my concerns.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:27 PM
mfenzi
Track Day

For the record, '89 911 Targa original speaker grills pop off from the top and the grill ring they attach to is attached from the top but then the speaker is also bolted from underneath so it is necessary to remove the rear deck to replace speakers

So now you know.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM
SoCalRayRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by mfenzi
For the record, '89 911 Targa original speaker grills pop off from the top and the grill ring they attach to is attached from the top but then the speaker is also bolted from underneath so it is necessary to remove the rear deck to replace speakers

So now you know.

Maybe in the Targa but my coupe, the grill pops off from the top and the speaker was screwed in from the top as well. Just take your time and you can get the grills off. I had one speaker that I had to pry off even after all the screws were removed.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:27 PM
mfenzi
Track Day

Originally Posted by SoCalRayRay
Maybe in the Targa but my coupe, the grill pops off from the top and the speaker was screwed in from the top as well. Just take your time and you can get the grills off. I had one speaker that I had to pry off even after all the screws were removed.
Yes, in theory my grills pop off from the top and the speakers can be unscrewed from the top. In practice, the UV-brittle plastic grills are extraordinarily hard to remove with out breaking. Once the speaker/grill is off and on my workbench I can insert a thin screwdriver from the back and gently pry the grill off. From the top I can't get the same angle of approach so must pry up more aggressively, which cracked the grill. I was intent on keeping the OE stock grills so was very intent on not breaking them. Likewise, my speakers had bonded to the vinyl and took some real muscle - and care to avoid damaging the vinyl - to pry off.

Thanks for confirming the top mounted grill and speaker

Quick Reply: Q: '89 911, rear speakers top or bottom mount?