Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

just got my 84 carrera targa home...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

elfer classics is a mindblower...how many colors porsche offered, and still does...anyone buying a new one at these prices and for another few grand you can have a one off(kinda) color...like WOW man...and many of the same colors are completely different, though the camera has a lot to do with that...still...wow......

Last edited by kkswow12; 12-07-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: da spell check
Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a mindblower, eh. Shows (for metallic):

Porsche "paint to match" shows rubinrotmetallic / Ruby Red Metallic / paint code M3X / for "99" metallic .

As to one-off colors (that is, clients who provide their color selection), geeze,..THAT could be anything, I presume. For sure, "this" type of paint to match on newer cars costs big bucks....

Ed: not sure what "1964 Ruby Red is". Is this a color code or something? I got the point on "paint to match" (am familiar), however I don't think the posters' color is such. Looks to be a Porsche color.

kkswow12: do get your numbers posted!

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 12-08-2014, 06:47 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

here are the code for the paint and the VIN

Last edited by kkswow12; 05-07-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Very simple:
Year: 1964
Color: Ruby Red

Same as a friend who has a brand new 991 painted in Riviera Blue, another paint to sample-not a color offered standard.

Originally Posted by dshepp806
It is a mindblower, eh. Shows (for metallic):

Porsche "paint to match" shows rubinrotmetallic / Ruby Red Metallic / paint code M3X / for "99" metallic .

As to one-off colors (that is, clients who provide their color selection), geeze,..THAT could be anything, I presume. For sure, "this" type of paint to match on newer cars costs big bucks....

Ed: not sure what "1964 Ruby Red is". Is this a color code or something? I got the point on "paint to match" (am familiar), however I don't think the posters' color is such. Looks to be a Porsche color.

kkswow12: do get your numbers posted!

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

64...? i wish...that would be a one off...
Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkswow12
64...? i wish...that would be a one off...
She was a looker, I'm biased, but got comments everywhere.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2014, 02:02 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Understood, Ed. Didn't realize you were referencing a particular year as to color. That should be interesting....

To Porsche colors, ........... no doubt kkswow12 you've the true (Porsche) Ruby color (especially seeing "rubinrot metallic) ,.........and what a beautiful color it is !!!!!!! Had to crack open a fine Bordeaux after looking through some thread pics of your color......rest assured: it was a cab and not a pinot.........good pics of this color, here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...re-thread.html

D
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I guess the true (Porsche) Ruby color depends on what year of Porsche color chart one is looking at.

PS- Didn't know Bordeaux's consisted of any Pinot. Typically a blend of Cab Sav, Merlot and Cab Franc.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:43 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
well, finally have a targa, 1984, been searching awhile and now i can get started getting her 'right'...can anyone tell me, is it possible to get an options list/build sheet for the car with the VIN, like one can do with the newer cars...? thanks in advance, and any information will be greatly appreciated, a couple of pics are in order...
ahh, another Q, could someone tell or show me what is the original steering wheel that came with the car, it was built 11/83, i have seen a number of different wheels, and really like a couple of the momo styles, but will probably try to keep her original, and i know what is in there now is not...
Not sure how I missed this thread, but on it now!
Congrats on your purchase, and as you can see from my signature, we are practically brothers now! haha

I noticed that your previous owner (like mine) went for a faux turbo look and polished the wheels. I swapped the turbo tail, for the correct Carrera tail and painted the wheels black. You can compare the pic I am posting here, to my sig pic to see the "big" difference.
COA wise, I ordered mine and all looks correct, options and all.
Wheel wise, stock is the one in the pic for our 84s and I swapped it out for a prototipo.
Mod wise, if you follow suit to what I did in my sig, it makes a big difference overall.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

very nice, was there a 2 output exhaust that was available as an option back in 84? i would like to have that and what about the sound...does it sound different than with single outlet? i will be changing a few things here and there, not sure what yet, and thats part of the fun, cheers, kk
Old 12-11-2014, 06:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

IMO Sarges after pic is waaay better ..
Old 12-12-2014, 01:12 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, I guess the true (Porsche) Ruby color depends on what year of Porsche color chart one is looking at.

PS- Didn't know Bordeaux's consisted of any Pinot. Typically a blend of Cab Sav, Merlot and Cab Franc.
True,...in our exchange, I thought it obvious that we were referencing your noted "1964" year. THAT would be the relevant Porsche color chart (unless I missed something).

True: Blends do abound on the left and right banks (and is typical) of Bordeaux (well-known) and are inclusive of many blend variations far more than your suggested grapes. However, there exists a few who render 100% cab grape, Guess I forgot to mention that we cracked open a Chateau Le Createur, ...(Margaux). You won't find a "blend" there, Sir,..sorry: I should have mentioned that to you, as it a special rendition, indeed,..and is absent of blanket presumptions that ALL Bourdeaux's are "blends", as this isn't quite accurate. Most? Well,..yes. ALL? Err,...no.

Didn't mean to infer that my Pinot reference had anything to do with Bourdeaux region(s),..I was contrasting the (paint) color differences, in metaphor (not "location"). For pinots, it's easy to know that one heads for Burgundy.

Doyle
Old 12-12-2014, 01:15 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Not sure how I missed this thread, but on it now!
Congrats on your purchase, and as you can see from my signature, we are practically brothers now! haha

I noticed that your previous owner (like mine) went for a faux turbo look and polished the wheels. I swapped the turbo tail, for the correct Carrera tail and painted the wheels black. You can compare the pic I am posting here, to my sig pic to see the "big" difference.
COA wise, I ordered mine and all looks correct, options and all.
Wheel wise, stock is the one in the pic for our 84s and I swapped it out for a prototipo.
Mod wise, if you follow suit to what I did in my sig, it makes a big difference overall.
Beautiful!

Doyle
Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Beautiful!

Doyle
yes, beautyful...i may go with the tailless tail, i like the look of the targa without the extra wing structure, and i doubt i will ever go fast enough for it to need help keeping the nose down...also it has the turbo spoiler on the front, don't know about that either... a work in progress...
Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 AM
andi_930
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="kkswow12;11852660"]...can anyone tell me, is it possible to get an options list/build sheet for the car with the VIN, like one can do with the newer cars...? thanks in advance, and any information will be greatly appreciated/QUOTE]
Nice car, congratulations!

For an 84 model it should be possible to get the vehicle information sheet "Fahrzeug Information" from your local Porsche Zentrum. I did that for my 82 930 and the sheet at least listed the codes for interior and exterior colors (plus engine and transmission numbers).

Quick Reply: just got my 84 carrera targa home...