Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally got my 911 back

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Finally got my 911 back

Oh, this has been a long one. From other thread ( https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-clean-up.html ) here's the summary:

1. Bought car in December, leaked everywhere.
2. Had mouse nest in trunk (a real, no kidding 'barn find' with portions of the barn still intact.)
3. Stunk
4. Took car to Porsche dealer where very old-school tech pulled engine to prep for service.
5. Brought engine and engine-less chassis it to my shop for massive clean up.
6. Two months later, cleaned engine back to dealer
7. Another month after that, cleaned chassis back to dealer
8. Sent Retro Aire kit to dealer
9. Another month, finally installed
10. I picked up the car in May, then...

It needed sorting post pick up. Idle issues, cold start wonky, headlights (I went Euro H4s) misaligned.

Installed new RE 11's, detailed my wheels. New trunk carpet, all kinds of little things.

Finally got it back mid-July. Just drove it 100 miles on it's shakedown. AC blows ICE COLD. Car is tight, solid, fast, fun. Has a mild idle problem to be resolved next week, but I couldn't be happier!

Note rather largish condenser in engine shot. Yes, I fitted it under the ducktail. Not the simplest job, but fiberglass now has an aluminum underbrace nicely epoxied and immobile.
Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice. Glad to see her finally home.

What all was done to the A/C? That condenser seems a bit oversized.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Very nice. Glad to see her finally home.

What all was done to the A/C? That condenser seems a bit oversized.
Thanks, having a good time getting re-acquainted.

It's the full Retro-Air kit: blower motors, condenser, compressor, hoses, brackets, drier, front condenser too. The works. The thing blows much higher volumes of ac, much colder. (I chose not to add the goofy 'additional' vent supplied to attach above console.)

That photo seems to exaggerate the size, but it ends at photo edge. I know nothing about ac physics, but know it does indeed work well.

They sell kits for Ferrari too, which I am considering, though they admit they are NOT as well developed as the Porsche version.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice looking car... just one question. Why the blip do you want a Ferrari?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Think he may already have the Ferrari.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like one heck of a fine car, would like to do an a/c upgrade myself at some point. Thanks for sharing all the information.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Because I'm blipping nuts! I like many different automotive experiences. Like food, clothes, books... hard to stay on just one-track journey (at least for me.)

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Think he may already have the Ferrari.
Down to just one though, as I seek balance... in the form of TWO complementing German cars. See? There can be car lust rationale!

Originally Posted by aratapuss
Looks like one heck of a fine car, would like to do an a/c upgrade myself at some point. Thanks for sharing all the information.
I must say the AC upgrade has extended my enjoyment of the car, at least in this area. I went through a rash of 3.2's 'back in the day' (mid 90's, when they were pretty cheap) and my main complaint - if you can call it that - was the pitiful AC. I moved to 993s and all that was over.

This particular solution IS a very complete system for the 3.2s. 'Jerhofer' has done a supreme job on his elder 911 and is installing his 3rd or so RennAire System. Find his threads (and get prepared to spend an hour or more!) to see how someone with sense and technical skills approaches upgrades.

Thanks fellows. Doing my LED dash light upgrade this weekend. Can't leave well enough alone, ever.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mighty fine looking car you have Adams and glad to see you got it back. Any more pictures of the whole car you could post up?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We're all blipping nuts... I have certifiable AADD...
Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Your 3.2 looks gorgeous....More photos of that M491 please
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Mighty fine looking car you have Adams and glad to see you got it back. Any more pictures of the whole car you could post up?
Thank you. Glad its mostly done, though... are we ever?

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
Your 3.2 looks gorgeous....More photos of that M491 please
Thanks. I was at the garage yesterday, but working on other things so these photos are a little crowded.

The blue tape in middle of windshield is where the gasket had sagged and water was getting in. Loaded it with windshield sealer, then tapped the gasket upward to reseal. Tape was just keeping it from relaxing and sliding back down.

The interior shot may not look like much but it represents a lot of changes cosmetically and under the surface.

> Pulled seats, door panels, carpet, rear seats, parcel shelf.
> Installed dyna-mat on floors, tunnel, and at firewall. (Car has aftermarket exhaust, no drone, but a little baritone for 'someone's' sensitive ears.)
> Steam cleaned cloth sport seats, carpeting.
> Installed red RS belts; saved originals of course, that had sort of quit retracting.
> Installed 968CS steering wheel. Mine had a Momo Corse when I got it, (sold to Rennlister) and I found an original 4-spoke to save for later when I get nostalgic.
> Installed new Blaupunkt retro looking blue tooth radio/CD, new speakers in original locations front and rear. Not a big audio fan, but felt this was best combo of old and new.

Sorry to drone on, but I had way too many projects going on while this was being done, and it was all such a blur. Just so glad to finally be at a bit calmer pace, enjoy the work.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Finally got my 911 back