1977 911 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:36 PM
qneelaebfr
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 911 S

Hello all.

I have just purchased this car and am new to the Porsche experience. I have a few questions.

1. Can someone recommend an auto shipping service, prefereably one that can move the car from Alaska to Colorado.

2. This car is in amazing shape. 85K miles, 100% original, minimal issues all around. How much effort do I put into correcting the issues while still keeping the car in "collectable" shape? Some of them are...

a) the leather (?) wrap on the steering wheel is loose.
b) the driver's seat shows considerable wear. My thought is to remove and safely store the original seats and install after market replacements.
c) the lower portion of the rear quarter panels have chipped away the paint due to rocks. But the metal underneath shows no rust.
d) one of the headlight bezels has a very small crease, 1/4" at most - and missing paint - due to a minor impact.

Thank you. I look forward to your input.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look at our site/forum sponsor. Even if they don't cover that part of the world, they may be able to refer you to the right place.

http://www.intercitylines.com/

I would think most traffic is heading to Alaska this time of year so it may be easy to find transport this direction.

Car looks great by the way. Welcome.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A '77 is all about pulled engine studs. Everything else in good shape is a bonus.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First, have you had a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) on the car?

That will tell you a lot.

As prior poster said, the major issue with these cars is pulled head-studs, and a leak-down should shed some light on this... but many of these cars have already had this condition addressed, so maybe you'll be ok.

The second issue is rust, as these cars had only partial rust-proofing, but eyeball says this car looks like a pretty solid body.

As far as preserving the originality, the best approach is to preserve the originality.

Frankly, the '77 is not an "A-list" collectible now, but that may be a good thing, as they are not commanding a lot of money, and have upside.

If the car has a major engine issue, then you have some difficult decisions to make... a major engine rebuild can easily exceed $12K, and put you under water. Major rust issues could do the same.

But if the car is basically solid, I would just keep it maintained in its existing condition, drive it, enjoy it, and probably, you will see it start to appreciate.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Frankly, the '77 is not an "A-list" collectible now, but that may be a good thing, as they are not commanding a lot of money, and have upside.
I think it was the February EASY R Gruppe meet where a bunch of us wandered over to Fantasy Junction. Just arrived was a '77 Coupe, 50-60K original miles. Good looking car, and if it were a '78 there would have been a line out the door, past EASY, and over to Pixar for it. Spencer wasn't sure on price, but said mid-$30s. Saw it shortly after listed on their site for $35K. Went looking for it a couple of weeks later to show someone, and it was gone.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Last really nice 77 I saw for sale sold for $70k in a few hours.
Phil
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I think it was the February EASY R Gruppe meet where a bunch of us wandered over to Fantasy Junction. Just arrived was a '77 Coupe, 50-60K original miles. Good looking car, and if it were a '78 there would have been a line out the door, past EASY, and over to Pixar for it. Spencer wasn't sure on price, but said mid-$30s. Saw it shortly after listed on their site for $35K. Went looking for it a couple of weeks later to show someone, and it was gone.
Car market's whacky right now, and super low mile, original cars of any spec can command significant premiums.

Whether they are worth it or not is in the eye of the beholder, but to some extent they are valued as "investments", rather than working cars, so they are really outliers... it's becoming like the art market.

Plus, there's a sneaking suspicion that the "collector car" market is entering another bubble, as less knowledgeable buyers chase B-C list cars looking for a bump... it's happened before, but who knows?

But, typically, a basic US Spec 2.7L car will sell for maybe 50-70% of an SC or later car in comparable condition, and I doubt whether that is likely to change much anytime soon.

Now if it is a euro-spec/Carrara, that's a different story... car market is international now, and dealers are arbitraging markets.

There are '77s and then there are '77s.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car! Best of luck with it.

Quick Reply: 1977 911 S