Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Beware Eshocks and Donssport

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Kubcat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware Eshocks and Donssport

UPDATE FOR THOSE NOT READING TO THE END - THE SUPPLIER PROVIDED A FULL REFUND EVENTUALLY - I ACCEPT THAT THEIR SUPPLIER CAUSED THE DELAY

7 weeks ago I purchased a set of front and rear torsion bars for my 911 from Donssport which is also known as eshocks and DSVS Inc.

After chasing them up a few times I got a reply that the manufacturer, Sway Away was out of stock and I would be delayed a bit. This has dragged out and I am not getting anymore responses from them.

As I have not been getting any firm date, or even any correspondence at all lately, I asked for a refund. Guess what, no response.

7 weeks is too long to claim through PayPal, so now I am almost $700 poorer and no torsion bars and not even an explanation.

I note other people on here have recommended them in the past but maybe something has recently changed there.

Be careful.

Last edited by Kubcat; 12-19-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you call Sway A-Way? Seems odd that they would be out of stock on bars for a 915 tranny car.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Kubcat
Track Day

I am in Australia and it's the time zone thing. Phone calls don't work girl me.

Having said that, I probably buy bits and pieces from the US monthly for all my cars and boats and very rarely have a problem.

Still no email response I may add.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Give me the Tbar sizes and I'll call for you. Same time zone here in California.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Kubcat
Track Day

Really appreciate that.

21mm front bars and 26mm rear bars.

Car is a 74 911 Targa, now cabriolet 2.7.

The last shipping date that was confirmed was 5th May.

Do you need me to PM you any more details?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Left a voicemail and sent an email to a guy name Eric. We'll see.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

That was quick
==================================================================

stock check

1821 1 week
1126 In stock

Eric Andres
818.700.9712, ext. 230

Sway-A-Way, Inc.
9667 Owensmouth Ave., Unit 100
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubcat
21mm front bars and 26mm rear bars.
Really sure on that?

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Sway-A-Way, Inc.
9667 Owensmouth Ave., Unit 100
Chatsworth, CA 91311
So it's not a one "trick" city!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by race911
Really sure on that?

So it's not a one "trick" city!
Apparently Sway-A-Way is the one "non-****" business in the entire area. Who knew?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:35 AM
Kubcat
Track Day

amber lamps thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help a fellow enthusiast. Most appreciated.

Maybe they will come good. I just wish they communicated. After a 7 week delay on what was promised, I think a refund would not be unreasonable. Let's see what happens.

The good thing is that no one else has jumped on and said they have lost money so fingers crossed.

race911, you have me worried now. I followed a table that showed the percentage increase over stock of various torsion bar sizes. I increased the front and rear spring rates the same amount, about 150%. I thought it best to keep the balance I am used to. Remember mine is a magnesium engine and gearbox and no rear tail so the back is not as heavy as the SC. I am basically street driving on single lane twisty roads in the country often on spirited Porsche Club drives. It leans way too much and I figured that the 16x7 and 16x8 Fuschs with modern rubber is probably allowing way more cornering g forces than Porsche allowed for.

It is an open car, so not as rigid as a coupe and we have some pretty bumpy roads. I also have the RSR Bilstein struts to go on and Bilstein rears. Just need to source some A calipers to finish. They should be plenty as this is not a race car.

As mentioned above, I am used to the balance of this 911. This was my daily driver for 10 years and I have broken the 1,000,000 Km's (600,000 miles) mark on this car, no idea how much was done before me except that it showed about 76,000 miles in 2001 when I purchased it. Let's say I know the car pretty well and am definitely in love.

I guess now is not too late to make a change to the sizes so what is your view?

Last edited by Kubcat; 05-29-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

is your paypal linked through your credit card ? .. if so your CC company should be able to help you out .
Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubcat
race911, you have me worried now. I followed a table that showed the percentage increase over stock of various torsion bar sizes. I increased the front and rear spring rates the same amount, about 150%. I thought it best to keep the balance I am used to. Remember mine is a magnesium engine and gearbox and no rear tail so the back is not as heavy as the SC. I am basically street driving on single lane twisty roads in the country often on spirited Porsche Club drives. It leans way too much and I figured that the 16x7 and 16x8 Fuschs with modern rubber is probably allowing way more cornering g forces than Porsche allowed for.

It is an open car, so not as rigid as a coupe and we have some pretty bumpy roads. I also have the RSR Bilstein struts to go on and Bilstein rears. Just need to source some A calipers to finish. They should be plenty as this is not a race car.

As mentioned above, I am used to the balance of this 911. This was my daily driver for 10 years and I have broken the 1,000,000 Km's (600,000 miles) mark on this car, no idea how much was done before me except that it showed about 76,000 miles in 2001 when I purchased it. Let's say I know the car pretty well and am definitely in love.

I guess now is not too late to make a change to the sizes so what is your view?
Just from what I did on similar when I used to work on 911s is that everyone would go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too roll stiff in front. Someone, somewhere decided 21/26 was the first upgrade. I always left the stock bars up front (based on the LA brain trust I was dealing with in the '80s), and put 26's in the back. Stock 930, in other words. I've even run up to 19/30 on my own cars. And that's on pretty much everything that had mixes and matches of Mg or Al components.

Now, about those front struts. Stock RSR, out of the box? Or revalved? If not revalved, then you're in for a world of mismatch. Consult one of the experts. Dampers properly matched to springs (or torsion bars) transform the car.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:53 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 155 Posts

You have 60 days from the date of the statement where the charge first appears to dispute the charge.

Last edited by parkerfe; 05-30-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Kubcat
Track Day

Finally received the following reply from eshocks.

"Left messages and sent emails, trying to get some info out of SWAY A WAY. As soon as I have something I’ll email you with either the tracking or disposition of the order."

I have replied asking for a refund as we are approaching 8 weeks and my 60 days to dispute with the credit card company is fast approaching.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Kubcat
Track Day

Race911, I had never realised that the turbo had such a big difference in rear bars.

It is obvious you have huge amounts of experience in this field and I am just trying to pick your brains a bit if you don't mind.

I guess the turbo probably has more weight over the rear as the engine and gearbox are aluminium instead of magnesium and the turbo bits, wing and air con add weight as well back there. They also have much larger rims and tyres.

Mine is a narrow body car that weighs 1120kg with a tank full of fuel, a spare and jack etc. the turbo is listed at about 1335kg. That's about 200kgs, or about 400 pounds, more, mainly on the rear.

I thought by increasing the rear bar size I would make the car oversteer more.

Oversteer might make it a little less street friendly in an unpredictable emergency situation but much more track friendly as it turns in a lot quicker.

Theory is great, I can ramble on about what should happen, but your real world experience is what forums are all about. Considering the weight balance of my early car do you still think 21/26? It is easy for me to try as I can fit the rear bars first, see how it feels and then if I don't like it, fit the front as well. If I still don't like it I can go back to stock again.

As for the Bilsteins, there were 2 valving options, 160/160 and 220/100. The 160 was the original type and the 220 is the new. I purchased the newer type but am blessed to have Bilstein Australia up the road and the guys there also have an alignment shop that looks after my car. I am sure they can help if it's not right, although I am not sure what 'not right' will feel like. Do you think I should ask for a revalve before I try them and if so do I ask for anything specific?

Quick Reply: Beware Eshocks and Donssport