Deposit is down on an 87 911 M491 Widebody Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Deposit is down on an 87 911 M491 Widebody Cabriolet

Hi,

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the direct and indirect help as I fumbled my way back to Porsche ownership. There is such a wealth of information on this forum (and Pelican Parts) and it was very useful.

When I started my search I was pretty sure I wanted a 3.2 Targa, similar to the 78 SC Targa I had many years ago. Or a Cabriolet. I naively expected to be sorting through all of my options to find the perfect white on black model out there for a screaming price. I now know the market is very different. Inventory is low and prices are high. So high that I started looking at 930s to expand my options. I love the look of the Turbo but in the end I decided that I didn't want the Turbo engine at this stage. I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere. Then I saw a reference to Holt Motorsports as a source for high quality cars.

I jumped out of my seat when I found a white/black 3.2 with an authentic factory widebody with less than 50K miles on it. With white wheels. My only issue with the car is the boxed rockers which after seeing in person I will likely choose to replace with standard Turbo rockers. Deposit is down pending a PPI and details for shipping it across the country. Here are some photos:

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/carim...p?vin=171201#0

I know the added cost of the 3.2 M491 widebody cars leaves many people scratching their heads. 3.2 fans will give me grief for paying such a premium. Turbo fans will give me grief as they fly by me for having a poser Porsche For me this isn't a compromise between the two...it's the perfect car for what I want. The aggressive looks, the breaking and the suspension of the Turbo with the 3.2/G50. Sold.

Comments welcome and suggestions on suppliers for the standard rockers much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 05-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car! Good luck with the ppi
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never seen those rockers before and I agree, time find their replacement. Car looks cool. I like the white Fuchs but many will not and that is fine. Mine were painted guards red (previous owner) and I think I will eventually go back to black. Good luck with the PPI. I hope Holt is giving you a fair deal.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. Very nice. You weren't kidding about it being a good looking car. Glad it turned out to be a real M491.

Turbo rockers aren't that hard to find either.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'm really excited about it! Given Holt's reputation and the positive reviews from this and other forums I'm expecting the PPI to be uneventful but still worthwhile insurance. I'm sure I'm paying a premium with them but their skill in sourcing great condition low mileage cars is worth it to me. I've been calling around to different dealers getting story after story or getting nothing at all. The guys at Holt picked up the phone and talked to me like I was an old friend. Very confidence inspiring to deal with so far.

Cheekybird, I hear you on those rockers. I know some folks love them and while I think they look pretty cool/unique I just really like the standard Turbo rocker and will be going in that direction. Personally I love the white fuchs. If I were to change them I would consider going with the polished silver and black look. I think that looks especially good with red and white cars.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is "What A Car!".
Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I remember calling Tim and asking him where the photos were...he had the car listed for a couple weeks before posting pictures. When they did come, they looked good!

I'm sure it will check out A-OK. Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

That is one clean and pristine looking beauty! Agreed on rockers, toss them the first moment you get. Good luck!!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Jeff, and welcome! I too have been through turbos and stuff, but actually wanted the M491 car even more. The rarity, relative simplicity, all plusses to me. Mine's getting tidied up as we speak.

You're going to love the car. The mean fenders, fabulous brakes, production 'oddity' and certainly having the G50 should help secure that cars financial future. You did really well.

Carefully remove the rockers, save them for some future nut (hang em on the wall of your garage) and enjoy. Be careful: modding is addictive!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No worries.

IMHO, this car is a sweet-spot. Real turbo-looks are very rare, and very attractive, and actually make a better street car than the 930.

3.2 Cabs are underpriced now relative to other drop-tops, and sure to see strong appreciation down the road.

You'll have a car that is a delight to drive, and I suspect, 5-10 years from now, we'll all be kicking ourselves for not buying it.

And yeah, drop the Miami Vice rockers at get it back to factory. You got yourself a gem.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 AM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a real turbo look targa. You made a great choice - I think this is the best car out there. I had a 930 and it was amazing to look at but not great as a daily driver. My M491 has the looks I want but much more of a daily driver. I have improved the performance of mine getting it pretty close to a stock 930.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

That's a beautiful turbo look targa, very nice car! I originally wanted a targa but as you know they are the most rare widebody. The odds of me running into a great condition 87+ white/black M491 targa weren't good in this decade so I jumped at the cab. It's a sunny day car for me anyway so the full top down experience will be a welcome addition.

If you have the time could you share (or PM me) the performance enhancements that have worked out the best for you? I'll likely stay pretty close to stock but the upgrade bug usually hits me at some point. I'm already shopping for a replacement steering wheel and I have the Nardi Classic Black/Black with red stitching in my shopping cart
Old 05-29-2014, 01:13 AM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
That's a beautiful turbo look targa, very nice car! I originally wanted a targa but as you know they are the most rare widebody. The odds of me running into a great condition 87+ white/black M491 targa weren't good in this decade so I jumped at the cab. It's a sunny day car for me anyway so the full top down experience will be a welcome addition.

If you have the time could you share (or PM me) the performance enhancements that have worked out the best for you? I'll likely stay pretty close to stock but the upgrade bug usually hits me at some point. I'm already shopping for a replacement steering wheel and I have the Nardi Classic Black/Black with red stitching in my shopping cart
Well - my car had 300k miles when I bought it and I knew it needed a full rebuild. I went for the 3.4 upgrade because if you are doing the full rebuild anyhow - the cost makes sense. I wasnt worried about originality. I wanted the car done to my specs - my son will be the next owner so he can be mad at me if he wants. I also added GT3 seats and 17" fuchs from Zuffinhaus because the singer makes me drool.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

Hope it checks out...looks like the seats were re-covered....like the piping...yes the widebody is rare and sweet....Good Luck...(I love white Porsches....not many of that year out there)
Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy! Very low mileage. Enjoy it!

Reminds me of an 84 911 cabriolet white on black wide body that is has been for sale for a few months in my city. 3.2L, 116k miles, $28,000 CDN. Victoria BC

Maybe someone here is looking for something yours:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...rrera_21894443

Quick Reply: Deposit is down on an 87 911 M491 Widebody Cabriolet