Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 IAC valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM
LjH
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 IAC valve

Looking on Ebay I found a new Bosch Idle Air Control valve at what appeared to be a great deal. When I received it it looked different so a crossed the number and found it was for a BMW. I contacted the seller and they insist it also fits Porsche. I don't want to try it if it is incorrect because then I can't return it.
Anybody have any experience with this part?

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 12:32 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It looks like it may fit. If you have a Volt-Ohmmeter, then take a resistance measurement and compare it to the spec in the Bentley manual.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Who cares if it works? It isn't the one that goes with this car....and so what if it's the one that also works for the Volvo and the BMW? The one that goes on the car is the 0280140501. If they don't have it, don't buy from them. Sucks to have the aggravation, but when they are plentiful you buy the right one.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...tm_campaign=cj

http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?make=Po...57&brand=Bosch
Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM
LjH
Track Day

After I finally got my money back for the wrong part I started looking again. The Porsche part #930 606 161 00 lists for 230.00 to 336.50 IF you can find one. I found one at my local Advance Auto for 168.00. It was distributed by Wells and turned out to be the exact part listed as Bosch 0 280 140 501(one the right below). Installed in about 5 minutes and helped the idle. I also found the pedal was binding on the bodywork. After I cut the body back it stopped sticking.
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Cut the body back? Either it was deformed, or the pedal linkage was bent. You shouldn't have to modify the body to make the throttle work on a car that has been around 20+ years.....
Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM
LjH
Track Day

Well it was bent. Based on the angle if I bent it back it would only bend again. I suppose 28 years has weakened the bracket. I have found time ravages everything. The focus of my post was to advise folks that Advance Auto has a good deal on IAC valves. Thanks for your comment.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

My old '84 never bent. It went through a bit of time too. I'd have sourced a new part before hacking up the body-based on current values, if nothing else.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 PM
LjH
Track Day

Cool

This is my 5th Porsche spanning many years and I am the 4th owner of my current Carrera. I have learned that they need repair. The top on my cab should always work, it doesn't, the shift bushings on my 356 shouldn't have disintegrated, they did. I can go on and on but I won't.
When the Bentley manual states "Erratic idle speed is one of the most common drive ability problems encountered on the cars covered by this manual" (section 200-15) i believe is is apparent that sometimes replacing parts alone isn't the answer. Of course when our cars become nearly thirty years old some parts become unavailable and those that are still available may command a premium. The part in question (901 423 250 02 ) is $63.00 and others have mentioned it is weak when new. I seriously doubt anyone could tell (or care) that I removed 1/4" x 1" of material to insure clearance. When I post to any forum I try to help the members, not criticize their efforts.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

OK then...now that we're talking apples to oranges. Yes, cab tops go south, bushings wear out. Those can all be fixed.

After many years and miles of driving 911's, working on them, being around others', I've yet to hear of or anyone that has had to cut their body to get their engine to idle. Not sure where you're getting your info, but throttle linkages, are most assuredly not a weak point on Porsches.

Maybe post your VIN, in case you decide to sell. A google search by a prospective buyer might lead them to this thread, and your fix.

Not sure your post on this is going to help anyone else.

Originally Posted by LjH
This is my 5th Porsche spanning many years and I am the 4th owner of my current Carrera. I have learned that they need repair. The top on my cab should always work, it doesn't, the shift bushings on my 356 shouldn't have disintegrated, they did. I can go on and on but I won't.
When the Bentley manual states "Erratic idle speed is one of the most common drive ability problems encountered on the cars covered by this manual" (section 200-15) i believe is is apparent that sometimes replacing parts alone isn't the answer. Of course when our cars become nearly thirty years old some parts become unavailable and those that are still available may command a premium. The part in question (901 423 250 02 ) is $63.00 and others have mentioned it is weak when new. I seriously doubt anyone could tell (or care) that I removed 1/4" x 1" of material to insure clearance. When I post to any forum I try to help the members, not criticize their efforts.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 AM
LjH
Track Day

I eagerly await your solution to the erratic idle speed problem.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You implied it was fixed.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:07 PM
LjH
Track Day

My wife and I took a 250 mile day trip today. It is much better but still occasionally hangs at 1800-2000.
I plan to recheck the bell crank on the transmission (bushings already replaced) to see if there is any interference. Also got a bore scope today and plan to look into the tunnel to see if anything is rubbing. I did not say it was fixed. Sure wish it was and I would love to hear any ideas you or anyone else has. I am also researching the ECU to see how it controls idle speed. The micro switch clicks. One thing is certain the pedal isn't binding the body work.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I guess I misread post 4, if you didn't allude to it being fixed. You seem to be talking multiple issues. You started out saying the new ICV helped your erratic idle. Now you seem to be talking about a physical limitation in the mechanism. If you reign it in and lay out your specific issues, in the next post, you'll get more help.

The cable could easily be kinked somewhere. You can also open the throttle by hand and see if it's a throttle body issue. Unhook the cable from the body and with a helper, on the pedal end, see if you can determine a snag.

Originally Posted by LjH
My wife and I took a 250 mile day trip today. It is much better but still occasionally hangs at 1800-2000.
I plan to recheck the bell crank on the transmission (bushings already replaced) to see if there is any interference. Also got a bore scope today and plan to look into the tunnel to see if anything is rubbing. I did not say it was fixed. Sure wish it was and I would love to hear any ideas you or anyone else has. I am also researching the ECU to see how it controls idle speed. The micro switch clicks. One thing is certain the pedal isn't binding the body work.
Originally Posted by LjH
After I finally got my money back for the wrong part I started looking again. The Porsche part #930 606 161 00 lists for 230.00 to 336.50 IF you can find one. I found one at my local Advance Auto for 168.00. It was distributed by Wells and turned out to be the exact part listed as Bosch 0 280 140 501(one the right below). Installed in about 5 minutes and helped the idle. I also found the pedal was binding on the bodywork. After I cut the body back it stopped sticking.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

As you said, double check also the pivot point at the transmission. Clean and lube a little bit. Sometimes this is the one sticking. I would still not rule out the micro switch. You have checked it probably with the engine cold and most likely when it was not running. Maybe it behaves then ok then but not always.

And Ed, on a 3.2 there are no cables for throttle. All solid rods.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HorstP
As you said, double check also the pivot point at the transmission. Clean and lube a little bit. Sometimes this is the one sticking. I would still not rule out the micro switch. You have checked it probably with the engine cold and most likely when it was not running. Maybe it behaves then ok then but not always.

And Ed, on a 3.2 there are no cables for throttle. All solid rods.
Correct, I had my 993 on my mind, which has a cable-still fresh from my recent engine drop for the clutch replacement. I'd still unhook linkage and have someone on both ends to check freedom of movement.

Quick Reply: 3.2 IAC valve