Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Today I Realized My Dream(Drove a 911 for the first time!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile Today I Realized My Dream(Drove a 911 for the first time!)

15 years I waited for this day to come, and I wasn't sure what to expect, or how to feel other than pure excitement; it was like one of those instances where you meet your hero, only in this case, it went well! Better than expected.

Quick backstory, my dad bought his '74 911 in Guards Red new in 1975; he bought it over a brand new AC Cobra, as he thought the 911 was the better performing car. I'm 18 now, and since I was 3, I've always loved the 911. in the summer, my dad and I would go for cruises up and down Woodward Ave, watching classic and new cars drive all around me; the howl of that air-cooled engine from behind, a sound that I never forget. Every year in May, I wait for the insurance to go back on that beauty so that I can spend time with my dad like I used to when I was younger, it is simply the only thing I look forward to every year. Recently, it has been my job to take care of it in the winter and generally all year round, with frequent washes, bringing gas home to fill up the tank in the winter and add Stabil and whatnot; I also replaced a couple broken lights and lenses while I was at it.

Now, I've only had my license a year now and had owned only two cars prior to this, an '08 Saturn Astra and currently a'14 Focus ST, the latter being my very first manual. I've only been driving stick for a month and have loved every mile of it. My dad used to tell me there'd be no chance that I'd drive the 911, but I remained determined that I'd get to drive my childhood hero car one day, and today that dream came true!

I came home from class, and thought to myself "Hmmm after a whole winter of no driving, I reckon the 911 needs a fill-up and the tire pressure checked" so I gave my dad a call, told him what I planned on doing, that was going to a gas station and back home; he told me just three words, words that I'll remember till I die. "Don't wreck it."

And with those words, I grabbed the keys and got in the drivers seat, I couldn't help but smile as I started her up for the first time this year, I would get the first drive of the year!

Here's where I get rather technical and informative about my first drive:

1. The 915 trans is very, awkward. It didn't have much feel to it while shifting gears, sometimes I was worried that I'd put it in 4th rather than 2nd. I didn't mind the shift travel but there was no real feel to it overall IMO. Is there a specific way to drive the 915? I learned that it doesn't like to be shifted fast or hard if that sounds correct. I'm also quite unsure if the 915 likes downshifting or rev-matching..I did love the cable clutch though, much more feel to it than my ST.

2. That steering wheel is massive! I'm not a big guy, but it was a very tight fit to get my legs underneath it, unless I'm doing it wrong?, I eventually found a position that worked out so that was fine.

3. The handling, I was too nervous to really push the car in anything but a straight line, but coming from assisted power steering and that modern tech, it was a genuine enjoyable challenge from a stand-still to turn the wheel. I enjoyed the effort I had to apply to turn.

4. The acceleration was OK, nothing compared to my ST, but that doesn't beat the flat-six sound from the rear. It's not fast compared to modern cars I guess, but it certainly was fast enough for my enjoyment! The fastest I ever went was about 60.

5.Braking is the only thing I had a problem with. Maybe it's just how the car is, but the brakes didn't seem to bite until near the end of the brake peddle's travel. The clutch and brake peddle's have a long travel distance that I'm not used to but in time I'll get it!

6. Apparently the odometer is broken, it didn't change from 81,492 miles the entire trip, is that an easy fix?

7. does the is the hood normally in the position as seen in the picture?? Is there a ****/lever/switch to release the hood too? Because I can always walk up to it and lift it a tad and pull the lever underneath.

Overall, the 911 was a very visceral and engaging drive, I really felt that connection/bond between the car and driver for once. And I learned how much more "difficult" or skilled you had to be to drive cars then compared to now, it seems modern cars have so many handicaps and assists, driving the 911 was really driving in it's purest form for me.

After filling up at the gas station, I didn't really take it straight home... I really wanted to get a feel for the car, so I took it on a quick drive around town, and up and down Woodward a couple times to get a feel of the shifting, clutch and brakes. Finally took it home after an hour and gave my dad a call to thank him for the opportunity that I had waited my whole life for. The first question he asked me was how I liked driving it, hinting at the fact that he knows I didn't just drive it to the gas station and back, couldn't think of the words to say, so he just said he'd think about letting me take it out with him tomorrow evening after work!

I just felt the need to share this with you guys, my first time driving a Porsche, and I loved every second of it!

Last edited by Karl_W944; 05-03-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

All your points are fairly accurate.
But.

Hood was nt closed properly. Fkx that before anything, you were driving under very dangerous position.. Should click on down completely. Pull lever under left side of dashboard will release to position you described.
Brakes are a tough call as you may be comparing go what you are used to, but the brakes on these cars are excellent, if they don't feel excellent something is wrong.

The 915. Comments are accurate. Although there a couple bushings that can be replaced, the 915 is very much a vw slush box that you have to learn how to drive, and you are absolutely correct, never speed shift a Porsche, especially a 915. The 915 is a dream to operate but you do have to learn how to drive it.

A couple more points.

Do NOT add any oil till you talk to your dad, no matter how low it looks, we will let him explain the procedure.

Tire pressure is very important to to the handing of there cars I hope you did a thorough check before hoping behind the wheel after storage.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the hood won't close any further than that, the latch is badly in need of adjustment.

The brakes should engage near the top of the pedal travel and be very firm. If not, brake system maintenance is needed.

When well adjusted and with good bushings, the 915 should shift very well and with positive engagement, though nothing like a modern car. It should not be sloppy.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
If the hood won't close any further than that, the latch is badly in need of adjustment. The brakes should engage near the top of the pedal travel and be very firm. If not, brake system maintenance is needed. When well adjusted and with good bushings, the 915 should shift very well and with positive engagement, though nothing like a modern car. It should not be sloppy.
I'll take another look at the hood after work to see if I was just being nice to the car and didn't give it enough pressure when closing.

When the brakes finally start biting, it does stop quite good, probably just not used to it yet.

The 915 in this car did feel OK, I wouldn't go as far to say it was sloppy, but the neutral area on the selector is bigger than what I'm used to, when I shift slowly, all is good, I learned to never speed shift or shift hard with it too. I guess I compared everything to a modern car, this is now the oldest car I've ever driven.

And an Odometer fix I assume would be replacement of some gears or something along the lines of that. I'll take it to a Porsche mechanic within the next couple weeks and have them take a look at it and see what they think. I cannot do any sort of mechanical inspection that's worth much, but they surely can.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Your description of the shifting matches up with mine on the Sporto I recently purchased and other older Porsche's I have drive (Pre-G50).

The brakes as already noted sound like they need adjustment, mine engage at the top and are very firm. They do need a firm press to bite since no power brakes.

Steering sound right although it should feel very direct and light at speed.

Stories like this warms my heart, I'm really glad to see the younger generation interested in cars as a means of enjoyment and not just getting from A to B.

Looking forward to hearing more as you get more time behind the wheel.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Your description of the shifting matches up with mine on the Sporto I recently purchased and other older Porsche's I have drive (Pre-G50).

The brakes as already noted sound like they need adjustment, mine engage at the top and are very firm. They do need a firm press to bite since no power brakes.

Steering sound right although it should feel very direct and light at speed.

Stories like this warms my heart, I'm really glad to see the younger generation interested in cars as a means of enjoyment and not just getting from A to B.

Looking forward to hearing more as you get more time behind the wheel.
This is the only Porsche I've driven, so I don't have another or much of anything really to compare it to..

The steering was very light while moving, 'twas only while going slow or at a stop that that steering was hard, but I didn't mind it much I really loved it! I'm still trying to get over the fact that I drove what I drove yesterday after 15 years of dreaming, imagining, just hoping for the day to finally get a chance at it!

My dad and I plan to go back out tonight, so he can assess my driving after work. There will be much more to say after tonight!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:34 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the addiction! Once you've driven a car like a 911, nothing else will ever feel quite right.....
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Welcome to the addiction! Once you've driven a car like a 911, nothing else will ever feel quite right.....
So true! I got back in my ST after the drive, nothing made sense! Everything was too electronic, to easy. I felt very disconnected from the road than what I had felt 10 minutes prior. I was struggling to use the car I learned manual on compared to a car that by many means, should've felt much harder to work with, it was actually easier driving the 911 than my ST!! MIND BLOWN

This was an addiction that was kept in my head for 15 years and once I let it out, my goodness did it come out!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:07 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl

So nice to see a young man like yourself who gets it. The 915 transmission just takes a little more time to master. Being more mechanical like the rest of the car compared to a modern car, you need to be more mindful of what you are doing and the reward is an involvement in the driving experience like no other.
As modern cars become more idiot proof and electronic driving aids replace the need for driving skills, cars like your Dad's 911 let you be in control and responsible for the drive. BTW I share the same passion with my son, now 21. You and your father have something special to share with one another, enjoy!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

[QUOTE=Karl_W944;11340826]So true! I got back in my ST after the drive, nothing made sense! Everything was too electronic, to easy. I felt very disconnected from the road than what I had felt 10 minutes prior. I was struggling to use the car I learned manual on compared to a car that by many means, should've felt much harder to work with, it was actually easier driving the 911 than my ST!! MIND BLOWN

It is why older P cars are so appreciated. They do have idiosyncrasies (personality) as in the rear end bias/T bar suspension (learn to drive that and it is magnificent) and the 915 you've commented on.
It takes skill to do it well and that is the fun part, becoming a good driver in sync with your car.
Learn about the mechanical aspects of maintaining it, that's extremely enjoyable too.
My first car was a beater Austin Healey 3000 and I've had sports cars ever since.
I find the older 911's to be the most communicative of any car I've driven.
Have fun.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the first drive 911 is a good buzz. Chasing that buzz is how collectors end up with different model 911s

Each time i climb in a new to me 911 it is a magic moment revisited.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:49 PM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
They do have idiosyncrasies (personality) as in the rear end bias/T bar suspension (learn to drive that and it is magnificent) and the 915 you've commented on. It takes skill to do it well and that is the fun part, becoming a good driver in sync with your car.
Can you explain what the rear end bias is, and what he needs to do to learn how to drive the car correctly?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck
Can you explain what the rear end bias is, and what he needs to do to learn how to drive the car correctly?
Just don't lift in a turn.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Just don't lift in a turn.
I've never gone fast enough around a corner to have to worry about any potential lift caused by the weight distribution. It's 40/60 isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Rear engine rear wheel drive cars have their own habits...the 911 has amazing roadworthiness once you understand how that works.
When to brake, how to do so, power application etc. Lots of good stuff written about it but I'd suggest 2 good books if you like to read.
"Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook" by Quick Vic (Vic Elford) for the driving and 'Porsche 911 Story' by Paul Frere for the development history.
Both excellent stuff.
Then go to a DE with your Dad.

Quick Reply: Today I Realized My Dream(Drove a 911 for the first time!)