Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fabspeed airbox added on 88 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Fabspeed airbox added on 88 3.2

Wow. This think really made a nice improvement in accelleration.

The actual box itself was a little disappointing quality wise. I thought it would be Carbon Fiber as opposed to carbon look over cheap feeling plastic. Not too bad though. The fasteners are a bit cheap feeling and flimsy. I get the feeling it could pop loose because the fasteners did pop loose a few times until I got them better positioned beside the plastic tabs the original air box attaches to.

Overall, quality not too bad for price, 175.00. Performance wise, I couldn't be more satisfied. I have the Autothority chip and a K&N air filter, but no other modifications. The car is an 88 911 cabriolet.

The car pulls much harder now, especially in the 3k and up range. The engine sounds and feels a bit smoother 5k and up. The sound chnage is sutble, but it now has more of a deep roar sound to it. Sounds more powerful. According to G-Tech, it knocked off about .2 in the 0 - 60. I only made about 6 runs tonight and it was relatively cool out, but even without hard-core clutch eating launches, I was equaling or bettering times before addition of the fabspeed air box.

The car really seems to come to life on the highway. 3rd gear from 4.5k to red-line is very strong feeling (sounds sweet). 4th gear from 4.5k to the redline is very strong. Not notice much difference in 5th, but I only took it up to about 120.

For what its worth, my car seemed to come to life with the addition of this box. I noticed more of a difference by adding this box than I did when adding the chip.

Last edited by Doug H; 08-02-2003 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Weaver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, does that airbox resemble the open airboxes sold by AJ-USA or Performance Prod. where the whole face of the boxes is cut away? I was seriously concidering one of those with a K&N. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Its an open airbox. See www.fabpeed.com. I aso know www.stuttgartperformance.com sells them. I was torn between this and a cone filter or a MAF. I was told the gains with the Fabspeed box would exceed the cone filters and possibly the MAF. The open box was definitely the easiest to install. I am also running heat shields to keep intake air temperature down.

I drove the car last night. The difference in accelleration is remarkable. This car feels like a different car now. It also sounds better. $ 175.00 is a heck of a deal considering the changes I have seen. Caveat, not sure if the change would have been as noticeable without chip. The box may simply have allowed my chip to come alive by allowing the engine to intake enough air to keep up with the chip parameters.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:40 PM
James L.
5th Gear

Hi Guys

I am wondering if anyone knows whether the Fabspeed a/box is of any more benefit than simply drilling as many 30mm holes in the stock a/box cover??

I performed this 'mod' with positive results (after sometime with a k&n filter) and experienced a very, very slight throttle response gain however I may have mistaken this gain for the aural gain you get with a deeper induction roar.........

James L.
(in NZ)
Old 08-03-2003, 09:42 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly, the airflow path of the stock intake is not a limiting factor in the ability of a Porsche engine to process air. Bruce Anderson tested this at length...have a look at his performance handbook. As I recall, he tried an open top airbox with a stock filter and even no filter at all and the dyno results showed the best performance with the stock setup. The factory barn-door afm is far more of a restriction to airflow and throttle response than the stock airbox cover. Claims of dramatic performance gains from minor tweaks always leave me skeptical. My guess is that the additional sound in the cabin is possibly giving the illusion of better performance.

Save your money. Drill holes or remove the airbox cover all together (you can use a strip of duct tape to secure your filter). My guess is that there is no difference from the factory box top....might even be worse.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Why bother drilling holes and etc. for only $ 175.00. I honestly did not expect to be able to notice any difference, but wow this old tub really loosened up (even when the stereo is up . . .). Anyway, take it or leave it. Just passing on my impressions.

Anyone have any exhaust recommendations for the 88. I was thinking fabspeed with the cat bypass pipe. Good, bad, or should I go with B&B or another company?
Old 08-03-2003, 10:09 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

Assuming you have stock heat exchangers (as I do)...I highly recommend the Fabspeed Euro pre-muffler instead of a cat bypass....once again, have a look at BA's Performance handbook for dyno comparisons. I have the Fabspeed pre-muffler and now run a simple Bursch glasspack muffler. Great sound and no resonance...performance seems about comparable to the stock muffler...maybe a touch better at high rpm. I had a full Fabspeed single-in / dual out setup that looked great but.....waaaay too loud and the resonance at about 3000 rpm was absolutely deafening. I also ran that system at a DE and the car was clearly performing worse than ever. Lastly, the Fabspeed muffler weighed MORE than the stock muffler. That's the last place on your car you want to add weight! Needless to say, I don't recommend it. Try the Europremuffler with your stock muffler first....I think you'll like the results. The next step for me was the Bursch and I'm very happy with this setup. Of course, this is a very personal decision. Lots of guys like the Dansk system also.

Good luck,
Old 08-04-2003, 02:52 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Doug:

While you praise the performance increase the box gave you, the quality concerns with the air box really turned me off. Porsches are quality machines and every non OEM part you add has the challenge to be able to meet or exceed the OEM quality. I don't care what that box does, as flimsy as you described it, I won't put it on my car, even if it knocks a second of the 0-60 times. Why didn't they make it a $300 item and build better quality?

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: Fabspeed airbox added on 88 3.2