Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS clones, replicas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default RS clone, value?

What is the general feeling here on the topic of RS clones?

What are they worth? What would one look for in order to build it proper? etc?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 04-26-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Mine is in my sig and there's a build thread on PP.

Short answer is that it's highly variable. At one end of the spectrum you can get some bolt on parts and stickers and call it a day. And then you have a Singer. The look similar if you squint but have little in common. Mine is somewhere in between, it was built to be a competent track car that could double as a street car. So the choices that were made for engine, transmission, interior and suspension followed that. As I'm very picky about things like panel gaps, I spent more money just on body prep and paint than many people spend on their whole project including the donor car.

Was it worth it? Totally. Could I have bought a decent 997 GT3RS for the money? Yup. Is mine more fun to drive? Hell yeah. Will I ever get my money back out? Absolutely not. Don't care though. We only get one lap.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I went through years of analysis and learned a lot.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the topic of RS clones. What exactly do you want to know?

Find yourself a copy of ESSES magazine and drool.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by amber lamps
...Find yourself a copy of ESSES magazine and drool.
^ This!

Classic Porsche is another cool publication with more of those cars....

I will build one...some day...

I always remember this phrase when I write stuff like that... “The trouble is, you think you have time.” - Jack Kornfield’s Buddha’s Little Instruction Book (1994)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I am looking at documented 72T that was restored and converted to a RS clone. Correct wheels, seats and 2.7 motor. Replica door panels. Not sure what else at this point until i see documents and body work photos.

What should I look for on a RS clone?
What parts would be more RS specific that a proper clone should have?

What kinda money should it fetch given it is an older restoration in showroom condition?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Speaking of door panels.... There is a wide variety of possibilities. Flat panel RSA cards are in no way the same as RS cards. They vary from R to RS to RSR to RSA. I went with RS/RSR and most people are shocked at how minimal they look compared to all the crap Porsche hung off the doors on the poor stock cars and way more period correct than the later (read 964) RSA pull tab doors. If you are going to do it at least do it right.

It should look something like this: yes, that is '88.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are clones and then there are clones. Personally, I built a clone. More than a backdate but less than a full replica.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I would love to build a Jack Olsen's 911 type... with a 3.6 motor, that would be a keeper.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
There are clones and then there are clones. Personally, I built a clone. More than a backdate but less than a full replica.
Yes, I built a real RS engine/Peter Gregg's first RS front spoiler/more RS parts than most RS (tourings) came with car off of a '72T that my friend commissioned. It was featured in Excellence 10+ years ago now.

Then there are cars like my '73T we can call not-so authentic, save for the RS flares. Which were in abundant supply when my cousin did the car over 20 years ago. Only purpose for that car, once assembled, is to be as reasonably fast as a streetable torsion bar chassis can be. (Was the trainer for the 910/907 thing. Talk about actual clones.)

Bottom line is that, unless you're building up a shell to your specs, there's so much liberty taken that every build is a 1-of-1. Decide how far deep you want to go into minutiae.........
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

So here is the cool thing about building a hot rod 911, you can build anything you want. I don't think there is any set formula for one of these. A proper appearance is a must and a suitably upgraded drivetrain and suspension, a nicely done interior, sport purposes of course. I'd check out pelican and early S registry for various approaches, very few of these are identical.
Phil
Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I have seen a few pictures of the car and I have requested to view it in person.
I am on the fence as i just do not know enough about 1970's porsches let alone those converted to RS.....

I do know that I would love to have a 1965-1973 911 however

This could be my chance. Or not...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
Mine is in my sig and there's a build thread on PP.

Short answer is that it's highly variable. At one end of the spectrum you can get some bolt on parts and stickers and call it a day. And then you have a Singer. The look similar if you squint but have little in common. Mine is somewhere in between, it was built to be a competent track car that could double as a street car. So the choices that were made for engine, transmission, interior and suspension followed that. As I'm very picky about things like panel gaps, I spent more money just on body prep and paint than many people spend on their whole project including the donor car.

Was it worth it? Totally. Could I have bought a decent 997 GT3RS for the money? Yup. Is mine more fun to drive? Hell yeah. Will I ever get my money back out? Absolutely not. Don't care though. We only get one lap.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I went through years of analysis and learned a lot.
Link to PP thread plz
Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

One thing I might add as I'm in agreement with most all of what prior responders mentioned
if you can find one where most of the 'heavy lifting' read 'expensive' stuff has been done
you will be way ahead of the game.
On mine the body work ( flares paint etc) took almost three years to complete I know ridiculous but hey I didn't rush the guy..
Then the fine tuning trans ,engine assembly , suspension ,and interior you can go crazy !
Lots of options and degrees of correctness have at it, that was the enjoyable part ...very
satisfying, Bert
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
One thing I might add as I'm in agreement with most all of what prior responders mentioned
if you can find one where most of the 'heavy lifting' read 'expensive' stuff has been done
you will be way ahead of the game.
On mine the body work ( flares paint etc) took almost three years to complete I know ridiculous but hey I didn't rush the guy..
Then the fine tuning trans ,engine assembly , suspension ,and interior you can go crazy !
Lots of options and degrees of correctness have at it, that was the enjoyable part ...very
satisfying, Bert
Interesting.

The car was a 10 year project. Body is supposedly flared properly and has no sunroof. Engine was professional rebuilt by a noted builder and i imagine the transmission is the same.

How much work is required to keep one of these old 911s going anyhow?
(I am spoiled by 993 and 997)
Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Once built and sorted these are pretty damn simple cars, put the right gas in em (no ethanol) and drive the **** out them.
Phil

Quick Reply: RS clones, replicas?