Lime Green Wrap on 2012 Porsche Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 PM
stickercity
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lime Green Wrap on 2012 Porsche Carrera S

Hi Guys

Just wanted to post some pics of a 2012 Gloss Black Porsche Carrera S that we just finished wrapping with the Avery Grass Green film.

Modifications Include:
Grass Green full body wrap
Gloss black powder coated wheels
Painted calipers from red to yellow with custom Porsche decal
Grass Green wheel stripes
Painted exhaust tips in gloss black
Light smoke tail light tint
Gloss black painted badges
Custom gloss black Carrera S side stripes

Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like it was nicely applied. What does something like this cost?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, I like it a lot!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Pretty cool!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate seeing this done to such a nice car, but with that said the green looks great. Perfer to see the wraps on lower end cars. Like VWs
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by bhmkv
Perfer to see the wraps on lower end cars. Like VWs
I've seen many a lime green Lamborghini.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 AM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True. I come from mostly VWs and people just plasti dip and wrap everything. Alot cheaper and less permanent then paint which is cool. Not sure I would do this to a 100k car. But the color is awesome.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:24 PM
stickercity
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by veleno
Looks like it was nicely applied. What does something like this cost?
Starts at around $2400
Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks great!!

Cheaper than a good paint job and easily restorable/changeable when one grows tired of a color.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
aratapuss
Instructor

Cool as heck, nice job!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 PM
stickercity
Former Vendor

Thanks every one
Old 03-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I considered a wrap but have 242k miles of stone chips so it'd need a serious prep job.
The quality and diversity of wraps has really taken off.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Does anyone have any after pics when wraps have been taken off... I know its a nightmare for clear bras to take off when it has been on there for awhile, very costly to remove as well. I wonder what the shelf life is on these wraps... 3-4 years then you have to take them off or else the adhesives gets bonded to the paint? Very hard to find info on this subject... anyone?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 PM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I do this for a living (graphic artist at a sign/wrap shop)

and 3-4 years is a very safe bet. The less time they stay in the sun, the better and longer they last. Removal does become a bit difficult if the wrap is left on way too long and begins to crack and get brittle but this is way beyond the point a typical user would remove the wrap and applies more to commercial use where they try to leave it on as long as possible. I would stick with Avery, Oracal, or 3M branded materials as they seem to last the best and have the least amount of issues IME when removing. The only time I experience paint damage is when the clear coat or paint is old or compromised to begin with and sometimes on cars with cheaply painted plastic parts (hummer is the worst). I have a 986 and the signal green GT3 RS is my favorite porsche and I am really contemplating wrapping the boxster in this color or one similar (3m has a color close to signal orange) and getting some black carrera sports and black boxster script down the side. It looks great on the 991...not sure how well it would translate to the older 986 body.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 PM
stickercity
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by redridge
Does anyone have any after pics when wraps have been taken off... I know its a nightmare for clear bras to take off when it has been on there for awhile, very costly to remove as well. I wonder what the shelf life is on these wraps... 3-4 years then you have to take them off or else the adhesives gets bonded to the paint? Very hard to find info on this subject... anyone?
Hay guys here is my two cents based on my own personal experience installing and removing vinyl films for the past 14 years.
There are many factors that will have an effect on removal.
  1. The type of film used
3M 1080 Series & Avery Supreme series wrapping vinyl films remove very nicely, leaving a minimum amount of adhesive residue within the first 3 years
The cheaper brands can be a nightmare to remove and in many cases they can leave all the adhesive on the paint which will require many hours of cleaning.$$$$$
  1. The age and condition of the film
On all horizontal installs such as hood, roof and top of the trunk the film will have a much shorter life expectancy especially in the western desert regions such as Arizona and California. These parts can go bad within the first 1-3 years depending on the care and the amount of sun light the film has seen. For example a vehicle that is parked under the sun on a daily basis and is washed once a month without any type of sealant will go bad allot faster than a car that is garaged, sealed and washed on a regular basis.
Vertical installs such as doors, bumpers, etc are generally good for about 2-4 years.

Here are my removal recommendations
  • A car owner that has his vehicle wrap cleaned, sealed but parks under the western desert region sun on a daily basis should have the wrap removed within the first 2-3 years.
  • a car owner that has his vehicle wrap cleaned, sealed, garaged and sees a minimum amount of sun light should have the wrap removed within the first 4-5 years.

Signs of vinyl film going bad

The first signs of the film going bad are where it starts to lose its uniform finish (looks faded). This is the time to get the wrapped removed.
The next stage after the fading will be cracking. If the wrap gets to the cracking stage then it most likely will harm the paint and will be extremely time consuming to remove. $$$$

Most of the wraps that we do on the newer vehicles get removed within the first 2-3 years (vehicle lease end) and take us about 4-8 hours to remove and clean without any damage to OEM paint. I have also removed roof wraps that have been on a car for more than 4 years and are cracked which took about 8-10 hours to remove.

I hope this was helpful

Quick Reply: Lime Green Wrap on 2012 Porsche Carrera S