Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

This should ruffle a few feathers: What about putting a DSM motor into a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL. Ridiculous. There is always a motor of some kind out there with more hp. Always. So what does that mean? That some whatever motor is better than the one with less power. Does it mean that if I find some production motor that is tuned to give more power than a Cosworth DFV is automatically better than the Cosworth. Not in my book or anybody's who has taste. If that were the case, Ferrari 250 GTO's would be sporting some mass produced lump of steel or aluminum, regardless of hp, instead of that sweet Colombo V12. Not to mention the fact that half of the mistique of that GTO is that V12. This is the case with any V12 Ferrari, six cylinder Healey, Dino engined Lancia Stratos, Alfa Romeo GTV6, etc. Again, regardless of hp. If someone wants serious power out of a 911, do what has been done for ages in 911's to get serious power. There aren't many motors in exhistence which can claim the endurance racing record of the dry sump, eight main bearing flat six in high boost configuration. These are motors proven over the course of 24 hours. Not over the course of running the quarter mile once in a while and waiting to find its way to the junkyard like every other boy racer special. So, it costs more money to do it the classy way. Oh well. If someone wants to play hot rodder, choose something more blue collar to work with. But I can understand the idea of cheap hp since I myself was immature and tasteless in my teens. But fortunately I made it past that stage.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:19 AM
CDiercks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, the rabid responces generated by these off the wall "what-if"
Posts always give me a laugh.
Jim.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:44 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it. You're black listed.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:33 PM
ZLP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ed Bighi
LOL. Ridiculous. There is always a motor of some kind out there with more hp. Always. So what does that mean? That some whatever motor is better than the one with less power. Does it mean that if I find some production motor that is tuned to give more power than a Cosworth DFV is automatically better than the Cosworth. Not in my book or anybody's who has taste. If that were the case, Ferrari 250 GTO's would be sporting some mass produced lump of steel or aluminum, regardless of hp, instead of that sweet Colombo V12. Not to mention the fact that half of the mistique of that GTO is that V12. This is the case with any V12 Ferrari, six cylinder Healey, Dino engined Lancia Stratos, Alfa Romeo GTV6, etc. Again, regardless of hp. If someone wants serious power out of a 911, do what has been done for ages in 911's to get serious power. There aren't many motors in exhistence which can claim the endurance racing record of the dry sump, eight main bearing flat six in high boost configuration. These are motors proven over the course of 24 hours. Not over the course of running the quarter mile once in a while and waiting to find its way to the junkyard like every other boy racer special. So, it costs more money to do it the classy way. Oh well. If someone wants to play hot rodder, choose something more blue collar to work with. But I can understand the idea of cheap hp since I myself was immature and tasteless in my teens. But fortunately I made it past that stage.
But Ed, what about the "swamp monster"? Thats a worth while conversion, right???

Quick Reply: This should ruffle a few feathers: What about putting a DSM motor into a 911?