Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A Porsche owner as of tomorrow! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 03:48 AM
DEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A Porsche owner as of tomorrow! :)

I've owned many cars (mostly American classics, muscle, and drag cars) I have always wanted a Porsche. I've known what a 911 was since I was 5 years old. I did a great deal of research and I'm picking up my 82 911 SC Targa tomorrow. It's a nice car with under 100,000 miles and it's been well kept (original paint is almost flawless) I'm buying it locally and taking some risk since I could not get a PPI done in time. One question to start off with...whats the best reference book to have on hand for maintenance? The car I'm getting has had the Cam chain tensioner update as well as a new clutch and transmission. I've always done all the work on my cars myself but this is very new territory for me. The first thing that the car does need is re-upholstering the under-side of the Targa top. Who makes a kit for this? One last question, what are the best mail order sources for parts?

Sorry to ramble but I can't sleep and I'm extremly excited!
Old 07-06-2001, 04:21 AM
jay79SC
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

The best place for mail order parts has to be pelicanparts.com (IMHO.) As far as books go Bruce Andersons performance handbook and the SC Bently service manual are the main 2 that I use! But this BBS and the pelican parts bbs are the biggest help.

Good luck with your car!!

Jason
Old 07-06-2001, 09:34 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I second Jason's thoughts whole heartedly.
BUT, I have the Haynes manual also. Wiring schematic is much better. My 2c.

I would go ahead and have a PPI done so you know whats good and whats bad. I would recomend Marque Motors down on Macadam. Kurt and his staff did a great job for me when I lived in Portland.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Old 07-06-2001, 10:42 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

I just saw another SC with broken head studs testerday. You should get a ppi done. It's cheaper than a $4,000 engine repair.
Old 07-06-2001, 11:06 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, it sounds like Dave has already purchased the car! Dave, you definitely want to check for broken head studs once you get the car. For parts, I use Pelican, Tweeks and a number of smaller outlets. For the new headliner, checkout the Pelican Parts Tech Article on the targa top. Has some great pictures. Welcome to the Porsche Owner's Group!

Kurt V
72 911E
Old 07-06-2001, 11:22 AM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Congratulations, Dave! You're gonna love that car.

Quick bit of advice: get the Bentley manual at Amazon or Barnes and Noble online. They sell it for $99. Every Porsche source I've seen is selling it for around $119.

Also, you should join the PCA (www.pca.org) and subscribe to Excellence magazine immediately. These are great sources of information and Porsche people.

Have fun,

Dean
Old 07-06-2001, 12:08 PM
carnut169
Advanced

You can order it from "Textbooks at cost" for $91.10. Here is the link: http://www.textbooksatcost.com/produ...order_by=title
A penny saved is a penny earned!

Old 07-06-2001, 02:30 PM
Greg-slant/cab
Advanced

By far the best place to purchase parts online is www.gprparts.com . Ask for Dave...They have great customer service and always beat any one else on price. Just look through Automotion's catalogue, find what you need and then call GPR. No affiliation at all...just a very satisfied customer.
Old 07-07-2001, 03:22 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If possible, try to tie the purchase of the car to a PPI. It's probably OK, but if the buyer really resists, it may signal a potential problem....if he says OK, do the PPI simply because it will give you peace of mind and might point out that other what other work needs to be done. You may need to give the seller a break, like saying "I'll buy this if you let me get a PPI done and the car needs less than $1000 worth of work". If something is wrong, who knows, you may get him to lower the price. You can't really expect a car that's over 15 years old to realistically be perfect, but on the other hand it shouldn't need thousands of dollars in repairs right after purchasing it.

Congratulations,

Bill Wagner
Old 07-08-2001, 02:52 AM
DEL
Intermediate

Well I picked up the car and have looked it over myself and it seems to be in excellent condition! I have not found any problems or flaws yet. I will most likely schedule a PPI just for peace of mind even though I own the car.

It handles excellent, and seems to run perfect. It came with the owners manual as well as a Haynes repair book. I will also be investing in the Bently manual. I look forward to learning how to care for this car. I can't stop looking at it! It's just too cool!
Old 07-08-2001, 02:56 PM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Dave,

Don't expect that feeling to wear off... ever. After 2 years of 911 ownership, I still find myself looking over my shoulder as I walk away from the car EVERY time I park it, smiling and saying to myself - yeah, Baby, yeah!

Dean

Quick Reply: A Porsche owner as of tomorrow! :)